Model Cars Magazine Forum

i finally solved the jdm vs. usdm fight!!!

"I think these arguments over cars are dumb. There are many good and many bad cars from each country and brand. If you like a certain car then you like a certain car. I get really angry when some people try to tell me that the car I like is not as good as the car they like... I'm not a violent person but sometimes I just wanna slap a dumb person."

This guy sums it up for me. :( :( :(

As long as it's a Ford or Chevrolet, gets me from point A to point B I could care less.

Dependable, comfortable, decent gas mileage are the important things to me.

But then that's just an old mans opinion.

I couldn't care less about Japan Vs American... I went Korean!

IMG_2732-vi.jpg

For the balance of Price, Gas Milage, Features and styling, I couldn't find another car that came close to this one.

I've been averaging 31mpg around town 45mpg on the highway, and it comes standard with 4 wheel disk brakes. ABS, Traction control, stability control, 6 Speaker stereo with super base, CD, MP3, aux ports USB, and satalite radio, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm system,twin cam variable valve engine, 6 speed auto, with the option to shift on your own, self dimming rear veiw mirror, power, heated exterior mirrors, trip computer, 15cubic foot trunk with split foldown rear seats, and more interior space than a Nissan Maxima all out the door for $18,000.

I thought JDM was Japanese DOMESTIC market, therefore not the imported versions of foreign made vehicles. JDM refers to cars marketed and sold only in Japan, no?

You would be correct, but we assumed he meant Japanese VS American. Because technically a USDM car could be and car sold here.

I couldn't care less about Japan Vs American... I went Korean!

IMG_2732-vi.jpg

For the balance of Price, Gas Milage, Features and styling, I couldn't find another car that came close to this one.

I've been averaging 31mpg around town 45mpg on the highway, and it comes standard with 4 wheel disk brakes. ABS, Traction control, stability control, 6 Speaker stereo with super base, CD, MP3, aux ports USB, and satalite radio, power windows, power locks, keyless entry, alarm system,twin cam variable valve engine, 6 speed auto, with the option to shift on your own, self dimming rear veiw mirror, power, heated exterior mirrors, trip computer, 15cubic foot trunk with split foldown rear seats, and more interior space than a Nissan Maxima all out the door for $18,000.

That's a lot of car for the money.

But the styling? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder... :huh:

As has been stated ad nauseum, foreign vs. domestic is almost now impossible to define in the 21st century. No sense tickling a dead fish. So how about this… cars, vs. appliances? Our Subaru Baja, based on the Outback, has all the soul and emotion of a washing machine. Just like our Honda CR-V before it. The point of origin in this case is irrelevant. Both “American†and “foreign†produce cars with attitude and emotion, as well cars that are little more than a machine to transport people from point A to point B.

Plus, you can’t really miss what you have never had. I have driven a Corvette, but that was back in the mid-eightees. Nor was I able at the time to wring it out. That was so long ago, I have little recollection of how it drove, only the memory of the grin it put on my face. But then again, it was a Corvette! Now I own a Passat W8 4motion. Fantastic car. By far, the best I have ever owned. Handles like it’s on rails. Compared to the Japanese cars I have driven, I would never go back. It’s all about… soul, vs. appliance.

Don't forget Subaru and Kia, too. If I remember correctly, there is a Subaru plant in either Indiana or Illinois and a Kia plant in Georgia.

I forget what line it is, but there is a Toyota plant not too far from Charleston right here in wild, wonerful West Virginia!! :)

The Subaru plant is in Lafeyette Indiana, they also build Toyota Camrys there.

if you want to talk overrated? how about those million dollar Hemi 'cudas and anything COPO :)

Overrated?

They're worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay. Prices have come down from the stratosphere lately, but still... limited supply will always bring premium prices.

if you think this was a "cool" statement i have to strongly disagree ;) for your age though i'm not really all that suprised. when i was looking for my first car my dad had a couple of Honda Accord hatchbacks because he liked them and found a few for sweet deals. my mom insisted that one of those would be an excellent first car for me and she may have very well been right, but it wasn't what i wanted, not by a long shot. i held out and with the help of my dad found a beat '72 Chevelle which is what i wanted. with the money i had saved mowing lawns and delivering newspapers i bought it on my own with my money and then had 2 years to fix it up before i had my license. i've never hated imported or foreign cars, just not really preferred them for what i wanted to drive. i also prefer rear wheel drive vehicles over those that are front wheel drive. i don't hate front drivers, it's just not what i prefer.

if you want to talk overrated? how about those million dollar Hemi 'cudas and anything COPO :rolleyes:

Uuum...I'm 12, and I hate foreign cars. Now, isn't that surprising? A kid like me would only like ricers and supercars, which FYI I despise....

And COPOs are NOT overrated. Sorry to tell the truth, but they could easily smoke imports.

Edited by Android

While I like it, it is true that it may not be for everyone, but it's definately not boring.

When it comes to styling, it's all personal preference. There is no "right" or "wrong."

As long as you like what you have, that's all that matters. After all... the only person that has to like your car is you! :rolleyes:

But styling aside, like I said, you got a fine car for the money. Here's to many happy years with it. And your gas mileage puts my Mustang to shame!

When it comes to cars, either Foreign or Domestic, my choices are governed by my memories.

I had cars from the late fifties, my first being a 56 Ford Crown Vic to my last fun car a 72 Nova.

But when I think back to those cars I am actually thinking about the entirety of my life at that time.

The girls I dated, the guys I hung with, the races we had. All good times.

I have no memories of anything other than American made. Ford, AMC, Chevrolet and Mopar.

But then that's just me, not everyone.

And COPOs are NOT overrated. Sorry to tell the truth, but they could easily smoke imports.

In stock form, going in a straight line, if it can get traction on those skinny bias plys, maybe. Get to the first turn, sorry, COPO loses. Skinny bias ply tires and stock steering geometry and brakes really put the Musclecars at a disadvantage to the much lighter imports with 4 wheel disk brakes and modern radial performance tires. If you upgrade the suspension and tires, and adjust the suspension for handling, then sure, the Musclecar can win with raw power. But then it is no longer a stock vehicle.

While I personally own US built vehicles (an S-10 built in Saginaw and a '55 Chevy 3200 built in Baltimore), I've worked on enough vehicles built all over the world to see which are really the best. To be honest, the Japanese and even Korean cars are every bit as good as the US brand. Note I said "brand", because as mentioned earlier by several posters, you really have to look to see where a car was really made. If you look, you'll find that many so-called "domestic" vehicles aren't built here, and that the "imports" are built here.

...my last fun car a 72 Nova.

'72 Nova SS here... copper color with a black vinyl roof, black interior, bench seat, 350 and a Hurst shifter. Bought it used from a college buddy for $750 in 1976. It's the car I learned to drive stick on. :rolleyes:

>AS MANY OF US OLD BIKERS SAY

>"WE DON'T CARE HOW THEY DO IT IN JAPAN"

Sonny Barger, in his biography, "Hells Angel", says that if there were japanese bikes around back then like they are now, no way the Hells Angels would be riding Harleys.

And if Sonny sez it, then I believe it!

PS: owner of 1:1 Nissan 240SX, Mazda Miata and Toyota Land Cruiser (with GM 383 HT motor)

Uuum...I'm 12, and I hate foreign cars. Now, isn't that surprising? A kid like me would only like ricers and supercars, which FYI I despise....

Kid, i gotta say, i disagree with you. copos are overrated, all it really is is a stock camaro with some stickers and go fast goodies. also, a copo isnt even stock, its all dealer added ie. aftermarket.

you can say you hate ricers all you want, chances are youll end up with an import for your first car, it took me forever to save up for my corvette( 18 when i bought it)