Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mack engine color and chrome removal ??

Hello all,

I am working on an old DM800 tractor, it was a partial build off ebay. I wand a much more heavy duty look and need to strip alot of chrome off. What is a good chemical to do this?? Also what is a good match for the Mack gold engine color?? I also don't much care for the fixed fifth wheel, would a revell ag slider off a Pete look right? As soon as I fix my PB account I will post some pics.

Many thanks,

Mark

For stripping chrome, I've found that Castrol Super Clean (aka Purple Stuff) works well. On some older stuff, you'll need to use Easy-Off once the chrome is gone to get rid of the laquer that is o the plastic.

As for Mack Gold, I used Tamiya Gold Leaf X-12 on my 1975 Mack R685ST; and it's pretty close. Well, close enough for me.

DSC00806.jpg

For stripping chrome, I've found that Castrol Super Clean (aka Purple Stuff) works well. On some older stuff, you'll need to use Easy-Off once the chrome is gone to get rid of the laquer that is o the plastic.

As for Mack Gold, I used Tamiya Gold Leaf X-12 on my 1975 Mack R685ST; and it's pretty close. Well, close enough for me.

Another name is Purple Power. It's a little cheaper, and works good. Also, for removing chrome, try Westley's Bleche White. It's in the automotive section, or at the Auto Parts store. It's a whitewall tire cleaner. Takes the chrome off and is great for soaking resin parts prior to painting.

Edited by FlatbedKW

Well the bleach white and the easy off is taking all the chrome off. Now what to do for engine color????? The DM800 from Ertl was about a 1971, so are V8 Macks of that era grey or gold????? Hmmmmmm

Jim, where did you get those great mack decals for your filters??

I would like to find a few decent pictures of the ENDT-865 engine so I can add some details to it too.

thanks, Mark

Edited by 69A-CAR

Thanks again for the tips and the links Jim. I might actually have a gold engine tomorrow. Now I fond out I am missing the air cleaner assy! This kit was a open / started mess I bought 10+ years ago and it is driving me crazy! Well at least I don't need the thing right away, might buy a build up or parts lot to get one.

• 1 month later...

To remove paint from your model can also be done by putting the model in a box with brake fluid. After some time the paint starts blistering and you can remove it with an old tooth brush. I have done this several times and it works fine for me. Even resin models don't get damaged.

Hessel

Edited by Hessel Hemstra

• 2 years later...

Brake Fluid Will KILL Resin!!

it is also the Slowest paint stripper I have used!

I started with it, then used "Fabulous"

Now I have been using Wesley's.

I do have a bottle of "LA's Totally Awesome" that I got at Dollar Tree to try.

I will watch this.

I but the DM800 Tractor Many years ago.

I would love to get another, but...................

Edited by Edsel-Dan

the Maxidynes and Thremodynes was painted gold on the Macks so for the DM Series they would be gold you could tell if a Mack had a Mack ecine by looking at the Bull Dog on the hood if it was gold it was a Mack engine a chrome bull Dog it was anouther enginge

Edited by Madd Trucker

I tried a something new with paint stripper and have had good results so far. Citristrip. Now you have to keep an eye on it as it will dry out the plastic and put fine hairlines in it if it sits too long. But in 30 minutes to an hour it did the job on one loaded with coats of spray enamel, did not harm the plastic, and is not a toxic nasty. Water soluable. It comes in an aerosol can for about $7. The paint in all the little crevices and seams came off with just a quick swipe with an old toothbrush.

I have tried Castrol Super Clean on chrome plated parts and the plating dissappears in minutes and you'll see it go away if the CSC is fresh, it takes a bit longer for the laquer but it will remove that also as CSC also removes paint...at least it did on the plated parts i tried it on (Revell) and I left them in a couple of hours and the result was bare plastic.