Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ok, I was at a yard sale on Friday and bought a whole box of glue bomb model cars for $4.00. The box contained alot of vintage models that I have seen before, but there is an oldsmobile curbside by jo-han (I think its a 1960 but not sure) model car in there that I have never seen before. I was wondering if anyone knows of this kit or may have one. I stripped it down today and threw it in the purple pond, to get the 45 layers of paint off. This kit does not have an opening hood, therefore there is no engine, but if i find out its not rare the hood will open and it will be packing some iron. Im not really familiar with these kind of cars, but the body style is pretty sweet. I dont have any pics now but I will post them when I get it out of the pond. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance. Jerred C.

If it's a '60, more than likely a 98 two door hardtop. The only year that the 98 was made as a two door IIRC by Johan IIRC.

Edit: I'd not be as quick to cut that up as those are rare these days-------but it's your call since it's your model. BTW, Modelhaus makes that in resin.

Edited by MrObsessive

That is indeed a Ninety-Eight Holiday Coupe you have.

I agree with Bill; rather than hack it up, I'd try and do a credible restoration on it.

Those kits, built nicely, look very good. I don't mind that it's a curbside, that much easier to build, and you concentrate more on detailing the body an interior.

Get some pictures up when you have a chance.

Charlie Larkin

I agree with the other folks here; it's a hard to find this kit (a great deal you got!) and if all the parts are there, a stock version restoration would be the way to go. I remember as a kid that one of my mother's friends had one of these in two tone blue. Love the roof and rear window on these GM 4dr hardtops.

I would grab a '60 Chevy,do a chassis and roof swap,convert it to a two door,add a modern engine/trans and go from there. It's your model. Build it how you want. After all,you only have $4 invested in it. Have fun with it and don't concern yourself with what it's worth or how rare it is.

Nice find there!... A friend of mine had a real one once. Build/rebuild to make yourself happy...but for me it would have to be a factory stock restoration I couldn't modify something like that myself.

I believe its a 59 Oldsmobile 4door HT by the looks of it?

Edited by disabled modeler