Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bobby Allison`s 1975 Matador

John Teresi

Hey John,

Really looking good in the home stretch, enjoyed watching this one come together. The paint looks just right for the type and year of car, really brings out the lines and sets off the decals, nice, nice, nice!!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind, what will you be using for clear? It seems to me in another post you had said you use urethane, but I just can't remember. Is it safe for all different types of decals? And, does your friend Art with the decals make them for other people or know anyone who does? Appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks again for posting John, been a blast watching this one!!

Mike

Hey John,

Really looking good in the home stretch, enjoyed watching this one come together. The paint looks just right for the type and year of car, really brings out the lines and sets off the decals, nice, nice, nice!!!

A couple of questions if you don't mind, what will you be using for clear? It seems to me in another post you had said you use urethane, but I just can't remember. Is it safe for all different types of decals? And, does your friend Art with the decals make them for other people or know anyone who does? Appreciate any tips you can provide.

Thanks again for posting John, been a blast watching this one!!

Mike

Mike......yes,I use urethane : RM 5800 clear with Rm Hardner and Rm Reducer.......it`s pretty expensive stuff but,I luv it..........I have never had a problem shooting over any decal or paint......but,it is safe to test it before before actual spraying........thank`s.

Johnny and Mike,

I found the decals at Southern Motorsport Hobbies. Here's the link to them:

http://stores.intuitwebsites.com/hstrial-RSetzer/-strse-6423/%2316-Coca-Cola-Matador/Detail.bok

Great service, as they arrived in just a few days.

Patto's Place in Australia has some too.

-Art

Art......thank you for providing the link for the decals.......... for Johnny and Mike

Hello.......here are a few photos of what the build is going to look like.......I wiil wet sand and put the last coat of clear on today........I like to clear over my decals what ever the build is because,......after time the decals will get old and flake off ......the clear will keep them from getting old ........maybe for ever?.......I have went back to some of my paint job`s from 3 years ago and no yellowing or cracking.......I stiil need to put in the glass,bumpers,spoilers and a few details......should be done by the end of the week......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9075.jpg

DSCF9071.jpg

DSCF9072.jpg

DSCF9070.jpg

DSCF9069.jpg

DSCF9068.jpg

DSCF9073.jpg

Great model. And I like the "build what I want" kind of deal. And I do concider you a model builder. All Drama aside. it turned out great. My only question is when do you sleep? I know how time comsuming a build like this is.....Looking forward to seeing you next April for the Cactus Contest.

wow john, awesome work bro.

ill be honest with you, up until i joined this forum. i never heard of you and even after all this bickering, i gotta say. im glad i joined and getting to see this type of builds.

Hey John,

Thanks to you and Art for providing details on urethane and link for decals. Man, is this looking sweet, I swear it looks like you could get it and drive it. You work just knocks me out, and I sure thank you for posting...for all of us.

Mike

Hello......I made some air hoses today......I wrapped some wire around a wooden art stick.......and wrapped some medical bandage tape around the wire......then painted it with Acrylic black paint......I will work on the body tomorrow.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9076.jpg

DSCF9078.jpg

DSCF9079.jpg

DSCF9081.jpg

DSCF9083.jpg

DSCF9085.jpg

John, everything looks fantastic! Paint looks killer, nice job! As for building "cleanly" ... I also wash my hands constantly when detailing/handling as well as wearing soft cotton gloves at times. I no longer use tissue or "napkins" as I've had some texture from those leave their impression on my work piece. Keep up the outstanding work John!

Another thing that amazes me about this build is the speed at which it has progressed. This thing is just a little over three weeks old! I take that long to build a box stock model! I can't wait to see this one finished up!

John. Awseome build. I have one question though. How do you keep a ridge line from forming when different colors? I've had a lot of problems when taking off the masking and finding a ridge of paint. I've backed off on the pressure and paint and changed the angle away from the line, but nothing helps. Thanks.

Hello......I made a kool-box and installed........steering wheel installed......made some window braces and installed.......I worked on the fuel cell ......got the glass installed and the body is on......I will put on the bumpers and spoilers tomorrow........getting close......couple more days......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9088.jpg

DSCF9092.jpg

DSCF9090.jpg

DSCF9093.jpg

DSCF9097.jpg

DSCF9101.jpg

DSCF9102.jpg

DSCF9107.jpg

DSCF9110.jpg

John. Awseome build. I have one question though. How do you keep a ridge line from forming when different colors? I've had a lot of problems when taking off the masking and finding a ridge of paint. I've backed off on the pressure and paint and changed the angle away from the line, but nothing helps. Thanks.

Homer......DSCF9111.jpg

this is the tape I use when I mask my paint job`s.......it is computer board tape......it curves good and is not to sticky and sticks just right......I have tried different types of tape and this works the best for me.....I paint with urethane,lacquer,acrylic,enamel.......and this tape works well with all......I like to put mist coats till I get a good cover of paint......Then I will pull the tape off right away......I dont like to let the tape and paint dry together.......if the paint is flaking when you pull off the tape......you may have left the tape on to long......hope I helped.......thank`s