Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rustoluem sprays and their Colorshift Galaxy Blue

i've been recently trying out Rustoluem's Spray cans out of curiosity, and have been really pleased with the results (exspeicaly the Colorshift paint).

They are around the same price league as testors and tamiya, but you get more for yer buck. They last longer; sprays better and smoother, no lumps, bubbles, or "heavy snake skin"; really good color slection.

Only thing is when you use rustoluem, you NEED a good primer underneath or it will craze the plastic.

I just painted a 02 Mustang SVT Cobra in Rustoluem Colorshift Galaxy Blue because i'm going to (Try to) replacate the RARE "Mystic Cobra" mustangs thy made. The color is a dead ringer for the 1.1 car and it looks really nice. I'll get pics of the body up later...

What surprises me is that Rustoluem is owned by RPM - who also owns testors. So maybe tesotrs should refourmulate their horrid enamal sprays closer to rustomuems specs or like their one coat lacquers stuff.

i've been recently trying out Rustoluem's Spray cans out of curiosity, and have been really pleased with the results (exspeicaly the Colorshift paint).

Only thing is when you use rustoluem, you NEED a good primer underneath or it will craze the plastic.

I just painted a 02 Mustang SVT Cobra in Rustoluem Colorshift Galaxy Blue because i'm going to (Try to) replacate the RARE "Mystic Cobra" mustangs thy made. The color is a dead ringer for the 1.1 car and it looks really nice. I'll get pics of the body up later...

Another thing you need with the Colorshift paint is a black basecoat.

As for the Colorshift colors, I'm very pleased with the Galaxy Blue and I also tried the Green, I think the name might be Gamma Green. You should try it when you get the chance, it's a nice color too.

HPIM2831.jpg

That paint looks awesome, but I haven't been able to find it locally. Who stocks this or is it strictly an online sales item? Thanks for the post.

I found them both at my local Lowes, not sure about any other places. My local WalMart didn't have them unfortunately.

That paint looks awesome, but I haven't been able to find it locally. Who stocks this or is it strictly an online sales item? Thanks for the post.

I found them both at my local Lowes, not sure about any other places. My local WalMart didn't have them unfortunately.

Yep, that's the only place I've found it, too. The last time I was at my local Lowe's, it was $14.97 a can.

Whenever Richard finally posts the pics of the Galaxy Blue Ron, I think you'll be on the way to pick up both!! I have used the blue on the same truck that has the frame in green I pictured, over $60 just in the paint for the frame and truck cab!!

Sorry it took so long to get pics up... waz really busy the other day:

DSC02107.jpg

DSC02111.jpg

DSC02112.jpg

DSC02113.jpg

It doesn't look as good in the pics due to lighting and various settings my sister changed on the camera, but to the eye it looks superb!

I used Sears gray primer, folowed by wal-mart/colorplace black, then the colorshift paint. I'm surprised it turned out well being I "crossed-over" paint brands.

I've only seen it at Lowes...though when I was at an AC Moore last weekend picking up the '02 Stang, they had the Colorshift galaxy blue @ $23.99! (Half used :lol:)

I'd consider buying it up there, but with the coupon it would be a tad more than what lowes charges and I could get as much as I want at Lowe's "everyday" pricing (and not have it be almost empty)

Also, the spray paints at AC Moore(s) are a mess of trippy grafiti #### all over the wall (Though they have the clerks wondering around the store like their in outer space or something). Even lowes takes better care of their paints and you don't need to give yer ID or blood sample to buy them.

• 5 weeks later...

I ended up getting both colors from Lowe's. Auto Zone also carries them but for way more money ($21)The Auto Zone display also had an empty slot for a Cosmic Red. Perhaps this will be a future offering. I just primered a Revell '86 Monte Carlo body and will be spraying the black lacquer undercoat later today if it ever stops raining. Thinking of going with the blue colorshift for this one. I hope to post a picture by the end of the weekend of my results. The spoon test did look really good after the clearcoat, dark and deep.

I know the can says to apply over black, but have you tried other base coats? I divided a spoon into white, grey, and black primers and shot the Colorshift over them. The black looks the best. I'm going to try it over HOK silver and gold basecoats just to see the effects.

I know the can says to apply over black, but have you tried other base coats? I divided a spoon into white, grey, and black primers and shot the Colorshift over them. The black looks the best. I'm going to try it over HOK silver and gold basecoats just to see the effects.

Jim, when I tried this paint for the first time on a test body, I did not paint the rear of the car in the gloss black basecoat and the colorshift didn't even show up over the gray primer.

• 2 weeks later...

It shows up on black the best but over white or grey gives it a different look with some possibilities.

I decanted some and shot the '40 Ford sedan/delivery the other day. I'm almost ready to wet sand and polish it out. So far it looks pretty good. I'll post pics in "Under Glass" when it's done.

• 2 weeks later...

I've started an '86 Monte Carlo and decided to use it as a guinea pig for the new Rustoleum colorshift paints. This is Galaxie blue. It looks more purple than blue but that's because it shifts so quickly in the light. it's really hard to capture how it looks with my camera but it really is a deep blue (at times). it lays down really smooth and reacts well with Rustoleum clear lacquer. The black basecoat is super important. I had one tiny speck about the size of a pinhead on the trunk where I wetsanded too agressively through the black lacquer and despite its miniscule size, it showed and required a re-do. I will definitely use this paint again. I'm a big fan of Rustoleum lacquers anyway.

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/ronr52/116_4841.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/ronr52/116_4843.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/ronr52/116_4844.jpg

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z354/ronr52/116_4843.jpg

Duplicolor and Plastikote both made a three-step color shift paint- it was sold as primer, color coat, and clear. Advance sold one, and Auto Zone sold the other. Always liked those, but I can't find them anymore. Walmart used to sell Shimrin-brand paints which were available in many color-shift hues, but I think those went away around the same time they stopped stocking model kits. Haven't set foot in a Walmart in about four years, so I couldn't tell you for sure what they have nowadays.

• 2 weeks later...