Model Cars Magazine Forum

This was a great kit except for one major problem. Whenever I tried to clearcoat the hood, it kept messing up in the EXACT same place, the exact same way. So, it's fine the way it is! You can really only see it when it's reflecting light, anyway.

The paint is MML Honduras maroon. With two coats of clear (except the hood, which has one) It's been slightly customized. The interior is MML Interior fabric red. The tailgate was supposed to open but I didn't like the way it always opened, it wouldn't stay shut so I just glued it shut.

Overall, a really fun kit to build. I am considering doing another, actually!

2006May16th005-vi.jpg

2006May16th006-vi.jpg

Stupid Cloud...

2006May16th007-vi.jpg

2006May16th008-vi.jpg

2006May16th009-vi.jpg

2006May16th010-vi.jpg

This picture really shows the sparkle of the paint!

2006May16th024-vi.jpg

Guest tonyboy

Hey Billy,

The Blazer looks real good. I can remember building that kit back in the day and as I recall it was a pretty good model back then, it was molded in yellow and AMT had it with decals for "Universal Construction" which was the same company they used with the Cat Bulldozer. I just built a 925 Kenworth that I painted MML Hondorous Maroon last week and I really like the color and plan on using it on my next truck model soon. Good job!

Nice Build! I have yet to start on mine but I am getting inspired. This is the second one I have seen completed and they were both maroon. I plan on doing several of these and I remember one of my friends from grade school had an older brother who had a '72 that was lifted with 35" mudders and painted hugger orange. We had fun getting rides home from Steve and the occasional off road excursions we went on.

Mike

Thanks guys, glad you like :lol:

Bill, if you look in the picture that shows the front liscence plate, you can kind of see it. I was able to mostly hide it.

Mike, where is the other completed one? I'd like to see it!! The only other one I've seen is Ken Hamilton's and Steve Goldman's on the boxart.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Billy-

Looks great. Nice work on it. If you are going to build another, I have a suggestion on the tailgate problem. I assume that your problem was that it wouldn't stay closed. Get yourself some tiny magnets (Dr Cranky knows the name of them.) I bought some and they work great. Drill a small hole in each end of the tailgate and a corresponding hole in the wall of the bed to glue the magnets flush. They have enough strength to hold it shut when you want it but you can still pull it open to display it with the tailgate down. I mounted ones in the engine compartment of my 66 Beetle to hold the hood in place for display and I can remove the hood to show the engine. This way I didn't have to make a hinge and the hood stays in place when I want it closed up.

Again, nice job. Can't wait to see the next one.

Later-

Found the name of the magnets. They are called Rare Earth magnets. They make many sizes and strengths. I have two types. They are about 1/16 and 3/32 of an inch. They are strong enough to spray a coat of paint over and still work great. Best of all they were about 5 and 15 cents each at my LHS.

Later-

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...