Model Cars Magazine Forum

been thinking about this for a while

diymirage

I haven't done anything "that" bad have I?

dont sweat it....we're just riling on you

on a side note

i finally bit the bullet last night and dumped the GTX into some dot3

the container was too smal for the entire body so i only submerged the driver side in it

i went to check it when i woke up this morning and from under the snakeskinned paint/primer i was greated by some nice white styrene :D

dont sweat it....we're just riling on you

on a side note

i finally bit the bullet last night and dumped the GTX into some dot3

the container was too smal for the entire body so i only submerged the driver side in it

i went to check it when i woke up this morning and from under the snakeskinned paint/primer i was greated by some nice white styrene :lol:

always a good sign! you should see my F250. besides the body pannels, grille, interior and half the chassis it's mostly missing in the parts bin. coverred in hideous glue stains. to cover up the crappy bodywork i want to make a wild custom, combining body pannels from both the f 250 and a 53 vette :o

I am almost ready for primer. A bit of sanding yet to do still. Mixed up my lime green "Antifreeze" paint the other day. Two step process... requiring a gold underbase applied first. Maybe I can find some time this evening. B)

sounds good Jairus

i was planning on doing the brakes on the "ssat today but everything went south so now that is prosponed to tomorrow after church

it did however leave me with a few hours to work on the GTX

got a chance to finish the interior, slap some primer on the body AND lay down the silver

once the dries i will skip the red alltogether and go straight to black

then a quicky clearcoat and ill try to ad the red in decal form

cant wait to see how it comes out this time

sounds good Jairus

i was planning on doing the brakes on the "ssat today but everything went south so now that is prosponed to tomorrow after church

it did however leave me with a few hours to work on the GTX

got a chance to finish the interior, slap some primer on the body AND lay down the silver

once the dries i will skip the red alltogether and go straight to black

then a quicky clearcoat and ill try to ad the red in decal form

cant wait to see how it comes out this time

Actually mate, with a bit of patience i know just what you can try.

Lay down the red as you did, leave it for a week at least (Tamiya paints are awesome for this) then tape out your design. Spray the black top coat and leave for no more than two days, gently remove the mask and it should have worked.

Actually mate, with a bit of patience i know just what you can try.

Lay down the red as you did, leave it for a week at least (Tamiya paints are awesome for this) then tape out your design. Spray the black top coat and leave for no more than two days, gently remove the mask and it should have worked.

thats what i did the first time

somehow the black paint got too stuck to the tape and when i removed the mask off came the paint

(look at the pictures i posted, its very clear by the wheelwells)

so this time im trying to put the red on as a decal

allright guys....welcome to plan C

(plan B was to cut out the yellow center from the factory decal and just use the red outline over the new paintjob...all went well untill the red outline decided to go from a single peice into million peices)

so....feast you eyes on this...plan C

GTXmarble.png

i took a little bit of artistic freedom here but i wanted it to look as close as possible to the hotwheel (which i why i didnt want to go with a solid panel)

since the base coat is black (actually a very nice looking metallice black from duplicolour) i have to use white decal paper since the red would fade into the background if i used clear paper so leaving the panel empty was not an option

victory might still be mine :)

the decals are aplied and clear coat is drying as we speak

(on second thought i should have printed the panels on a red background so i could cut it without worrying about the halo effect but that will be noted for next time)

here are some mockups...let me know what you think

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjAtMjAxMTA2MjktMjA0MS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjEtMjAxMTA2MjktMjA0MS5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNTktMjAxMTA2MjktMjA0MC5qcGc.jpg

utf-8BSU1HMDAzNjItMjAxMTA2MjktMjA0Mi5qcGc.jpg

Been working hard this last week. Finished three t-shirt designs and helped wrap a top fuel dragster. But for the three day weekend I spent some time just modeling, and managed to finish up the wheels for my build.

P1010752-vi.jpg

The redline is hand painted with acrylic red and the wheels are aluminum Revell items with Lindberg '66 Chevelle hub caps turned-down and used as inserts.

Finished chassis...

P1010753-vi.jpg

.... oops, how'd that get there? :lol:

Yeah, I know you guys hate slot cars. But if I am going to build a contest car it'll be a darned contest car!

If it's going to be a slammer or curbside.... well, why bother making it just a dust collector? So for this build I assembled a chassis that can run it around the track at a good scoot! Plus it has been my experience that slot car collectors pay way better than do model car collectors and I already have a couple buyers for this...

Plus, in some way... it makes my build more realistic in that it actually rolls and moves just like the REAL HOT WHEELS CAR! :lol:

Anyway, here it is with the body.

P1010754-vi.jpg

P1010755-vi.jpg

Time for some paint... onward we go! :lol:

P.S. after I finish the Deora... I think this might just be my next project:

TwinMill-vi.jpg

(with two motors of course!)

Jairus, I've often thought about doing a twin-mill type thing. If you do try this, you would be a fool not to get someone to cast a mold before you finish it. I know that I would would a resin copy and I'm sure I'm not alone. Great work going on here, keep it going!

Just a quick pic to show that paint is finally on my build.

The green is a custom mixed candy lacquer lime metal flake, about 4 or 5 coats with one color sanding session between. Here it has two coats of Tamiya clear and here it will wait a day to gas out before wet sanding again to ensure it is satiny smooth.

Hopefully two final coats of clear will leave a glass smooth finish with-out the need for polishing.

Painting of the interior and tinting the window glass are next.

P1010759-vi.jpg

;)

thats coming together nicely Jairus

i really like the detailing on the wheels and the lot cat chassis, no point in letting a good car go to waste

i havent done anything to mine since i put the decals on, just havent had any time

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, for the few who are still reading this thread. THE DEORA IS DONE! Finished it up last night and hope to take some pictures today. Posting might be a problem as I had a pretty major hard drive failure and cannot thus far post pictures. Slowly rebuilding the computer most of the day today and transferring files to the new hard drive. But... if all goes well, should be able to post final shots this afternoon or Saturday.

Everything is now painted. Window glass is tinted with Tamiya clear blue to match the little Hot Wheels car. Body has received many coats of Tamiya clear with wet sanding between to the point that I am sick of it. Good enough!

Interior has been painted with a dark grey to match the H.W. car and now time for assembly.

:huh:

P1010824-vi.jpg

Edited by Jairus