Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hours of LeMans

Pugs draw first blood and take provisional pole in Q1 #8 3.27:033 The are fast averaging + 1 second and can do 12 lap stints on fuel. Only one Audi did 11 otherwise they were doing 10 lap stints.

Audi #1 heavily damaged T-boning an Aston

A Covette catches fire

A Porsche catches fire

Imsa Performance Matmut has a huge shunt and there has been a couple other significant crashes.

Ford GT out with a major engine problem

Level 5 has had all kinds of problems

It's been quite exciting already... more to come.

A Covette catches fire

A Porsche catches fire

Since you follow this racing MUCH more than I do, wasn't there a car or two that caught fire at the ALMS race in Watkins Glen last week, too? I thought I seen one in flames while I was rewinding through the first part of that race to get back to where I had stopped watching the NASCAR Camping World truck race that was on before it last weekend.

Cal, unfortunately not much audience here for sports car racing. Thanks for the update.

Maybe so, but I for one LOVE it and wish more would get into the sports cars !! I've had enough Nascar shoved at me for a lifetime. :lol:

Cal, unfortunately not much audience here for sports car racing. Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, the exact same cars going round in a circle bores me.

That's some unfortunate action before the race ... :lol:

Maybe so, but I for one LOVE it and wish more would get into the sports cars !! I've had enough Nascar shoved at me for a lifetime. :lol:

Same here... and I'm only 16...

But to each their own I guess. I love LeMans/Grand Am style racing. I think it's much more "original" than Nascar... but oh well...

Since you follow this racing MUCH more than I do, wasn't there a car or two that caught fire at the ALMS race in Watkins Glen last week, too? I thought I seen one in flames while I was rewinding through the first part of that race to get back to where I had stopped watching the NASCAR Camping World truck race that was on before it last weekend.

Grand Am... Different series. I think one of the Mazdas caught fire.

Unfortunately, the exact same cars going round in a circle bores me.

That's some unfortunate action before the race ... :lol:

and there is Q2 and Q3 to go tomorrow. Although there are probably at least 3 cars that are not going to make Q2.

I'll be watching the race and building a Hasegawa Finish Line 767B in our annual LeMans palooza. I haven't been able to keep up w/the preliminaries this week. Radio LeMans was hacked earlier today.

Cars going round in circles might as well be golf balls and fairways...aka "naptime" :lol:

Can you post when this (will be) on TV? I rarely watch, because I never know when it is on.

Pretty much the entire 24 will be on Speed TV or streeming at Speed TV.com

I'll be watching the race and building a Hasegawa Finish Line 767B in our annual LeMans palooza. I haven't been able to keep up w/the preliminaries this week. Radio LeMans was hacked earlier today.

Cars going round in circles might as well be golf balls and fairways...aka "naptime" :lol:

How perfect is that. The 20 year anniversery of the 787B win at LeMans and the car is there this year for an on track Demo.

Can you post when this (will be) on TV? I rarely watch, because I never know when it is on.

Jon, the race is saturday on Speed Channel at 8:30 eastern time with live streaming on Speed.com during their breaks for Nascar nonsense !! :lol:

Bob, it will be on stopstreamtv.com. channel 5 tomorrow. I can't remember what time they said but the time is listed on that site, I just can't decipher when that is !! I watched it on there today and it was decent coverage. :D

I might be in the minority here, but the racing series that I enjoy most are F1, ALMS, WRC and DTM.

Cool...F1 and Indy Car are my favorites--followed both for 30+ years.. followed by World Sportscar, ALMS and Grand Am...I like DTM, BTCC and World Touring Car, and V8 Supercars also...I do watch some NASCAR as well.. I used to follow WRC but none of my channels cover it these days..

Going to the 24 Hours of LeMans (and the 24 Hours of Daytona) and a couple European F1 races are on my long term race fan to-do list; I've been to the Indy 500, the Daytona 500, the Long Beach Grand Prix, and assorted other Indy Car and NASCAR races...

(sometimes I wish I could have seen Le Mans in the late 60s-early 70s, or the Targa Florio, or F1 in the '60s-70s..or the Mille Miglia before that...but then I'd be really old today).

Edited by Rob Hall

Cool...F1 and Indy Car are my favorites--followed both for 30+ years.. followed by ALMS and Grand Am...I like DTM, BTCC and World Touring Car, and V8 Supercars also...I do watch some NASCAR as well.. I used to follow WRC but none of my channels cover it these days..

I almost mentioned the V8 Supercars (the Aussie NASCAR) - good stuff!

For those interested you can see the final two sessions of Qualifying provided by Eurosport2 at justin.tv go under sports and racing. US Eastern times are 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM then at 4:00 PM to 6:00PM. on Thursday June 9. Lemans is the best race on the planet period. It's also the most important race to the world's car makers.

Edited by 935k3

For those interested you can see the final two sessions of Qualifying provided by Eurosport2 at justin.tv go under sports and racing. US Eastern times are 1:00 PM - 3:00 PM then at 4:00 PM to 6:00PM. on Thursday June 9. Lemans is the best race on the planet period. It's also the most important race to the world's car makers.

awesome thanks for the info

It is the greatest motor sport event on the planet, period.

It draws a bigger crowd that any other, period. Bigger than Daytona, bigger than Indy.

There is an estimated 1.3 billion people that watch all or part of the 24 Hrs of Le Mans broadcast from 63 countries. That is more than the Super Bowl or World Cup - probably combined.