Model Cars Magazine Forum

24 Hours of LeMans

Rumor has it that the rumor that Peugeot qualified with their race setup is true.

So did Audi, maybe they are trying to be more like Audi.

The Pugs are preparing for battle, they even scrub in wets during Q3.

Edited by CAL

So did Audi, maybe they are trying to be more like Audi.

If I look at the official timing sheet, they seem to have pretty much succeeded. Without shockwaves going through their cars doing potential damage to bearings, seals, and what have you.

1 2 Audi Sport Team Joest M. Fassler / A. Lotterer / B. Treluyer Audi R18 TDI LM P1 M 3:25.738 73 85 - - 238.5

2 1 Audi Sport Team Joest T. Bernhard / R. Dumas / M. Rockenfeller Audi R18 TDI LM P1 M 3:25.799 35 57 +0.061 +0.061 238.4

3 9 Team Peugeot Total P. Lamy / S. Bourdais / S. Pagenaud Peugeot 908 LM P1 M 3:26.010 78 81 +0.272 +0.211 238.2

4 8 Peugeot Sport Total F. Montagny / S. Sarrazin / N. Minassian Peugeot 908 LM P1 M 3:26.156 44 59 +0.418 +0.146 238.0

5 3 Audi Sport North America R. Capello / T. Kristensen / A. McNish Audi R18 TDI LM P1 M 3:26.165 81 86 +0.427 +0.009 238.0

6 7 Peugeot Sport Total M. Gene / A. Wurz / A. Davidson Peugeot 908 LM P1 M 3:26.272 46 68 +0.534 +0.107 237.9

Does speak volumes

Same here... and I'm only 16...

But to each their own I guess. I love LeMans/Grand Am style racing. I think it's much more "original" than Nascar... but oh well...

That's good man! Awesome to hear from another young guy B)

You guys know my outlook on that subject B)

Cool...F1 and Indy Car are my favorites--followed both for 30+ years.. followed by World Sportscar, ALMS and Grand Am...I like DTM, BTCC and World Touring Car, and V8 Supercars also...I do watch some NASCAR as well.. I used to follow WRC but none of my channels cover it these days..

Going to the 24 Hours of LeMans (and the 24 Hours of Daytona) and a couple European F1 races are on my long term race fan to-do list; I've been to the Indy 500, the Daytona 500, the Long Beach Grand Prix, and assorted other Indy Car and NASCAR races...

(sometimes I wish I could have seen Le Mans in the late 60s-early 70s, or the Targa Florio, or F1 in the '60s-70s..or the Mille Miglia before that...but then I'd be really old today).

Did you get downtown 1989-1991 ?GrandPrix04.jpg

33 stills from the Allan McNish crash...

http://public.fotki.com/JCole/11-race-cars--trucks/24-hours-of-lemans-2011/

LeMANS2011AllanMcNishcrash11-vi.jpg

LeMANS2011AllanMcNishcrash14-vi.jpg

LeMANS2011AllanMcNishcrash16-vi.jpg

"And they walked away"

BTW, now that night racing is in play, the Peugeot cars... illuminated numbers... from within! Very clever.

EDIT: not just Peugeot!

Edited by Jon Cole

Again, a Q... on the open cockpit prototypes, why is there a small blue light in the front of the seat / headrest area of the empty seat?

And to expand on that, there is a series of colored lights on these cars. Anyone know the purpose?

Again, a Q... on the open cockpit prototypes, why is there a small blue light in the front of the seat / headrest area of the empty seat?

And to expand on that, there is a series of colored lights on these cars. Anyone know the purpose?

AMLS Leader light

The Proton Porsche GT car had one too.

The side lights are the class leader lights 1 2 3 that are used at LeMans. IIRC it was originally developed by Audi and adapted by Le Mans(ACO).

Edited by CAL

The blue illum. light is just to light up the cockpit enough so the driver can see some of the functions inside the car. The different lights on the outside are for the class and position of that vehicle. Positions 1,2,3 are displayed, and the color is different for each class.. ^_^

The blue illum. light is just to light up the cockpit enough so the driver can see some of the functions inside the car. The different lights on the outside are for the class and position of that vehicle. Positions 1,2,3 are displayed, and the color is different for each class.. ^_^

No the blue lights are actually class leader lights for the AMLS series. remember some of these cars come directly over from AMLS

Edited by CAL

No the blue lights are actually class leader lights for the AMLS series. remember some of these cars come directly over from AMLS

You're right, my bad. I remember those now. I mis-read and thought he said closed cockpit. That's what happens when I try and build models/read computer/chew chewing gum at the same time !!!!!! :(:D:blink:

So that is what the flashing blue light I seen in the windshield of one of the Corvettes is for? I thought maybe it was an undercover cop car!!! :blink::blink: