Model Cars Magazine Forum

HOBBY LOBBY

I was just reading my towns newspaper website, and Hobby Lobby might open a store right across the street from where I live. I hope it opens that way I dont have to go across town to get most of my modeling accessories.

Man that would be the last thing my bank account would need. A hobby "shop" within walking distance. The fact I have to drive a 1/2hr to get to my local joint keeps me from spending unnecessarily :D;)

Man that would be the last thing my bank account would need. A hobby "shop" within walking distance. The fact I have to drive a 1/2hr to get to my local joint keeps me from spending unnecessarily :D;)

Same here.

---

Congrats on the new "shop". Hobby Lobby is really starting to get behind models again.

• 3 months later...

A new one opened in my town and I have to say I am not that impressed, although they do carry a lot of models, but I was expecting them to have a better selection of art supplies, etc . . . they devote a lot of floor space to decoration junk, vases and trinkets for people to turn their places into Feng Shuei Palaces. Just my opinion . . .

A new one opened in my town and I have to say I am not that impressed, although they do carry a lot of models, but I was expecting them to have a better selection of art supplies, etc . . . they devote a lot of floor space to decoration junk, vases and trinkets for people to turn their places into Feng Shuei Palaces. Just my opinion . . .

Cranky, that was my opinion when I was in Lynchburg Virginia a couple of years back with an I P M S regional contest , and ONE Car vendor !!!!!!!! I wandered over to the Hobby Lobby out of sheer boredom . O K , wound up buying a couple of Die- casts that I seen advertised , but was never able to buy in a store . My opinion of Hobby Lobby was like you'res, a large "JUNK " shop ! Ed Shaver

I have a Hobby Lobby about 1/2 mile from my house which is walking distance and while they have a nice selectiion of model kits and Testors paints, I find that they are really slow in getting the newer releases.

As far as trinkets, mirrors, lamps, art supplies, stickers, projects, and other items for sale there, there is BIG money in those items as when I wait in line to make my purchases, it is nothing for me to see the women ahead of me shelling out $100 - $200 at a crack. After all Hobby Lobby is in business to make money and not just to sell model car kits which would put them out of business in a hurry.

my hobby store is about 35 miles .. a new hobby lobby opened on the first .... 3 miles.. i went in .. it looks like the only thing they will sell is what they can get very very cheap ...if they can get it cheap enouth they will sell it .. so ie they dont have a lot ..may be 30 kits and some basic tools....ok for QUICK

Just depends on who runs the model section. Our Hobby Lobby is LAME when it comes to models. They have about 6 rows of shelves, about 15 ft long, with areas for about a HUNDRED kits! At lest that what they have labled! But there's only about 10 different kit up there! Sure the section is FULL, but wat about the OTHER 90 slots? Our HL is a POOR excuse for a hobby store as far as MODEL CARS is concerned. They have ALL the rows filled for the Military/RC/ Ship modelers!

Ta be honest woth ya Ken, if ours was as well stocked as what some of you guys have, I KNOW I'd like it. Our Micheal's was GREAT at getting new kits, but they moved the model section, and made it smaller too!. Now they don't seem to have as much variety (I use the coupons, so i get alotta stuff from them) but at least ALL the slots in their model car section are full.

I'm definitely a fan of Hobby Lobby, its 40 percent off coupons and clearance sales in particular. However, it seems my local store hardly ever gets any new kits _ not nearly as often as it used to, anyway _ and, just a few days ago, it downsized its model aisle pretty dramatically.

That downsizing must have been a national chain thing...my local HL just reduced it's kit isle from both sides to just one :(

At least the amount of car kits didn't decrease much, but we do have a 1:1 GM plant just 30 minutes away, that keeps automotive interests high around here B)

That downsizing must have been a national chain thing...my local HL just reduced it's kit isle from both sides to just one :(

I have to believe this is true, as the normal Hobby Lobby I visit in Laredo, TX went from both sides to one in the two weeks between my visits. But they did add a lot of new tools that they didn't have before, so it's sorta a wash I guess. I did notice that all the import car stuff (Trumpeter ALF, Aoshima & Tamiya kits) evaporated, and weren't in the clearance section either.

• 4 weeks later...