Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is styrene carcinogenic?

Another health alert from government scientists (also warning about formaldehyde) from today's New York Times:

"Styrene is mostly a concern for workers who build boats, car parts, bathtubs and shower stalls. Studies of workers exposed to high levels of styrene have found increased risks of leukemia and lymphoma and genetic damage to white blood cells. There is also some evidence that styrene increases the risks of cancer of the pancreas and esophagus among styrene workers, the report found. Consumers can be exposed to styrene from the fumes of building materials, photocopiers and tobacco smoke.

As for styrene’s presence in plastic utensils and other consumer products, Dr. Brawley likened the risk from such products to that of coffee and cellphones — uncertain and slight."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/11/health/11cancer.html?_r=1&hp

In other words, here's something scary without much proof behind it, at least for consumers.

Some people have far too much time on their hands and are given far too much money to try and occupy their time...

I suppose anything could be a cause of cancer in sufficient quantities, but this- one of the most stable, widely-used polymers?

I suppose next they'll be telling us to vent the room for half an hour like after you break one of those "improved" light bulbs after we hit a kit with the sprue cutters.

Charlie Larkin

Guest Johnny

Now they will be scaring young moms and they will refuse to let their kids build models because the plastic is bad for them according to the "experts"!!!:unsure:

Harry, the "MAN" tells us that the charring on your grilled steaks gives us cancer, the yolk in eggs is bad for us, and our air is too polluted, yet NOTHING changes. NOW they tellin us our HOBBIES are bad for us! Big Brother is only looking out for OUR own good! Yeah, right.:unsure:

Now they will be scaring young moms and they will refuse to let their kids build models because the plastic is bad for them according to the "experts"!!!:unsure:

HELP! We're surrounded by people who think they're smart!

I read you loud and clear on this one, Johnny.

More reading for those interested. http://www.thefreemanonline.org/featured/chemical-hysteria-and-environmental-politics/

Charlie Larkin

Guest Johnny

HELP! We're surrounded by people who think they're smart!

I read you loud and clear on this one, Johnny.

More reading for those interested. http://www.thefreema...ental-politics/

Charlie Larkin

I think some people just glance at stuff like this and shrug thinking like everything else it don't mean much. But if they take the time to really look they will realize how slowly over time so much has been taken away from us "for our own protection and health"!!!:unsure:

Ditto to just about all of that. Maybe the main question would be if there's a long-term issue for very active modelers, who do a lot of sanding that creates styrene particulate matter. Wear a mask and gloves while doing so? I don't know. But I do get tired of health warnings that that only have vague conclusions behind them without a lot of proof. Here's my main conclusion: The number one cause of death is life.

My fiance' Has cancer, and she never smoked, worked with asbestos, lived near a toxic waste site, and lived where there is no smog most of her life. In the natural history museum here there is a T-rex skeleton with bone cancer. Living causes cancer if we are contantly worried about how we get it we will forget to simply live and enjoy life.

As for styrene’s presence in plastic utensils and other consumer products, Dr. Brawley likened the risk from such products to that of coffee and cellphones — uncertain and slight."

So if I read this right the risk isn't for US but for the people who work with styrene in manufactuing. In other words, we sent a "known" carcinogenic used in industry over to China.......instead of the other way around......

the truth is, pretty much everything will give you cancer if you are unlucky and/or have a depressed immune system. i wouldnt worry about it; and i know for a fact keith richards aint worried about it. if you dont want to be exposed to carcinogens, live in a bubble. otherwise i just dont worry because pretty much the air we breathe and the water we drink will kill us if we are susceptible. and note like someone else noted, its mainly people who are engaged in full time exposure to fumes and raw materials, like those who work with them, who are in any danger at all.

take a smell of that zip kicker stuff...that stuff even smells like cancer. just dont drink it or inhale it too much and i think you will be alright or at least minimize any risk way under the risk of just crossing the street after looking both ways.

life is too short, thats my motto, and i think keef agrees with me on that.

It's one study. How many times has the media jumped on scary results only to have the results change in the next few studies. You never hear about the studies that nullify or point to other causes because they don't sell like scary stories.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

Be healthy. Eat right. Don't smoke. Don't drink. Don't eat meats. See your doctor. Get lots of tests. Exercize. Stay fit. Get hit by a bus. Die anyway. Notice that everyone in the afterlife is laughing at you for not living life to its fullest. ^_^

Guest Johnny

Maybe the general public would get the big picture of what is really happening if they could see how many millions in Federal Grants the people doing these studies are getting each year!

I remember one professor at SIU getting around 900,000 a year for a study of mating habits of some kind of beetle! The study went for 7 years until he retired to the Bahamas! BTW the study was dropped, unfinished(if it would really ever have been) when he left!

But all these studies bring in millions in grants so they have to show something (seems always inconclusive) for the money and with the result "further study" ie "more money" is always needed!

Living causes cancer if we are contantly worried about how we get it we will forget to simply live and enjoy life.

EXACTLY.

As George Carlin once put it- "You show me a product that HASN'T been linked to cancer, and I'll show you a product that hasn't been invented yet."

Be healthy. Eat right. Don't smoke. Don't drink. Don't eat meats. See your doctor. Get lots of tests. Exercize. Stay fit. Get hit by a bus. Die anyway. Notice that everyone in the afterlife is laughing at you for not living life to its fullest. :P

^_^

Thank you for a very badly needed laugh and reality check!

Charlie Larkin