Model Cars Magazine Forum

'67 Triumph TR4A 4-17-18 Mirror update

Foxer

More interior fitting with the wheel wells in place today. Lots of grinding again, but it's very close and I'm happy with how it should end up. The dash needed a lot of grinding but this resin disappears fast with a sanding drum on the Dremel and set at 6000 rpm! Resin is nice to not melt under heat. :) The windshield was scored on the dash as seen in the photo in pencil. I ground it away to about a sixteenth of an inch and it's about right.

dash cut DSC 9573

I'll probably be adding small plastic pieces to close the fit of pieces and construct the floor right on the frame.

The convertible top boot from a '51 Chevy will need to be cut down in width and also sanded to reduce the thickness and shaped but I think this is going to work. After all that I will need to find a way to get the vinyl texture back. Maybe a vinyl top material.

dash DSC 9578

Edited by Foxer

You may want to try spray adhesive for the top boot. Hold the can relatively far form the boot (18-24"). Spray it on, let dry, spray semi-gloss black, done. Looks pretty good and is relatively inexpensive.

That sounds interesting. I have some textured paints I was considering, but spray adhesive ... now where's that 3M can to try out. :)

I must be getting excited about this one .. had a 2nd work session this afternoon! I fit the wheels (from the Arii kit on the Arii chassis). The Arii tires are slightly larger than the Gunze but still a scale 1" too small. They do look right though.

The vertical fit is good .. a few slight adjustments to shim the chassis which is what this was all about.

It looks like the chassis is rotated slightly as the left rear wheel is too far back and the right front too far forward. Needs a slight clockwise rotation in the body.

All in all it all looks good. B)

stance DSC 1890

Edited by Foxer

Mike....... you have my greatest respect! To work with this body shows will power, courage, endurance and stamina.... as well as a little stubborn streak, I suspect?

Stay with it my friend, from what I've seen so far, I'm sure the finished product will amaze us all and show what a true craftsman can do (even though I know from your previous comments on this and other builds, that you don't consider yourself one).

Tony

The back slope of the front wheel wells was sloped rearwards to get it behind the body. The donor TR3 has straight sides on the wheel openings. I just cut the corner out and added .06" sheet plastic epoxied in place. final finish sanding hasn't been done yet.

ft wells DSC 9610

The frame was fit better and the wheels now look better centered.

Edited by Foxer

Looks good...love the TR4A. I had that same 1/32 scale kit many moons ago. As I recall it was a pretty good kit for the size and the time.

The 1/32 Airfix TR4a is a good looking kit ... even an engine in it! I've actually been looking at it for a guide on some of the missing 4A details on this.

Edited by Foxer

• 2 weeks later...

More sanding, filling and filing fitting the edges of the interior.

back interior DSC 9676

although, after cutting the top cover down I don't know why I'm spending time fitting the edges under it! :)

Edited by Foxer

• 3 years later...

Thanks for the comments resurrecting this . ehhe . I DO look at this every once in awhile as it sits waiting for my attention.

The thing that stopped me is figuring how I can do the front fender light turn signal light shroud that is at the front of the side chrome. Here's some photos I've gathered .. nice ones of a piece on sale on ebay ...

triumph-tr4-A-IRS-front-side

tr4a turn signal -1

re4a turn signal-3

I thought I could just make a couple out of plastic sheet and rod but I'd love to hear any suggestions. It's probably a good idea to post this question in the qestion forum .. maybe later today. .

Edited by Foxer

• 9 months later...

Coming up from the grave ... I did more to progress the turn signal pods as far as how I'll do it. Going to just carve it out as chunkypeanutbutter suggested.

I had to epoxy with fiberglass cloth to patch an area that got too thin with my grinding out the body.

epoxy patch  DSC 1708

While putting 2 part bondo over the thin area I added some around the very crude trunk lower panel line. It looks like it did some to smooth it out but will need more I see. Needs some primer to really see whats left, thou.

trunk edge DSC 1720

The chassis got primered and will be needing some side pieces to close into the TR4 body.

frame DSC 1724

I also started making a convertible top boot as the one I cut down from a '51 Chevy is too narrow and shaped wrong.

Edited by Foxer

Continuing to patch small areas on the body as they show up under primer. The bottom of the trunk lid is getting there .. I think it is very close now and will see with some more primer. There are some panel lines still needing the scribers to define better for applying BMF first.

body touchups DSC 1721

body touchups DSC 1722

I want to document well what it takes to get this very early Air-Trax TR4 resin kit up to snuff. So excuse all the photos with little change. Be assured their newer bodies are VERY good!

The TR3 chassis had some .06" widening pieces epoxied on with glass cloth reinforcement. It fits really well now. Next step is to get the stance right now that the chassis is a drop in fit.

chassis DSC 1719

Edited by Foxer

Big job on there! Bravery is one great thing about us modellers! I've got the Airfix 1/32nd lit of the TR4 and it's terrible quality. The every part of the four part bodyshell is different, I've tried to put just that part of the build together, nothing fits, it's not square, the sides are different heights and lengths, so many things wrong.

BUT you are  perservering at least and making a good job of it! 

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Big job on there! Bravery is one great thing about us modellers! I've got the Airfix 1/32nd lit of the TR4 and it's terrible quality. The every part of the four part bodyshell is different, I've tried to put just that part of the build together, nothing fits, it's not square, the sides are different heights and lengths, so many things wrong.

I had been considering doing the Airfix kit I have here just because it has an engine, despite the small scale on this small car. I didn't realize it went together so badly and may rethink it ... at least I might have my preferred 1/24 done. :D

Originally bought the Airfix 1/32 TR4 to build for a buddy who was looking for a full scale TR4 at the time, well he decided against it so I never built the kit.  I did look and do some test fitting, wow is all I can say Airfix must expect that their customers will put up with a lot!  Eventually with the right chassis that TR4 will become a slot car.

i first experienced the "Fabulous Lucas Quality" after I got the Mini, it's no wonder you see the "Lord Lucas Prince of Darkness!" signs for sale, I think it's probably a bit more than tongue in cheek humor, more like the truth.

I needed a transmission tunnel and found the one in the Gunze TR3 kit to be the perfect size but I didn't want to cut up that kit. After considering a few ways to make it I made a mold with silicone rubber and made a casting with Bondic. (see my post here for more photos about Bondic). It all worked out well and now the interior is coming together!

Trans Tunnel DSC 1742

Trans Tunnel DSC 1741

Edited by Foxer