Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mixin' styrene cement types

Hi All,

I like to see other folks ideas. Thanks to all that participate. This seems to work out OK so I'll pass it along.

I'm learnin' as I go and this is just a couple things that I did with glues. I'd like to hear other ideas or thoughts.

I'm likin' Tenax 7R but it sets too fast...Testor's Liquid sets to slow... a 50%/50% mix of the two is nice. The bond is strong.

Testor's tube is stringy and thick... but on a palette a small blob of Testor's tube glue with a drop of Testors liquid mixed in mixes into a gel with no strings.

It's curin' as I'm typin' this so the final results will come later.

Smokey

Hi All,

I like to see other folks ideas. Thanks to all that participate. This seems to work out OK so I'll pass it along.

I'm learnin' as I go and this is just a couple things that I did with glues. I'd like to hear other ideas or thoughts.

I'm likin' Tenax 7R but it sets too fast...Testor's Liquid sets to slow... a 50%/50% mix of the two is nice. The bond is strong.

Testor's tube is stringy and thick... but on a palette a small blob of Testor's tube glue with a drop of Testors liquid mixed in mixes into a gel with no strings.

It's curin' as I'm typin' this so the final results will come later.

Smokey

Tenax is out of production again acording to a couple of LHS here in Atlanta...Bondene is a bit slower setting, pro weld is as fast as Tenax, Tamiya has two liquids regular and thin

If both are solvent cements (in this case, they are) then you should have no problems mixing them. Both are probably made up of mostly the same chemicals, the slower curing one has something added to create that effect. I often use a 50/50 mix of Testors liquid and tube cements. The tube glue adds some thickness to the liquid, and the mix has the ability to fill minor gaps where 100% liquid cement does not. The mix can be applied to larger areas before it begins to evaporate.

I don't know about Tenax, but ProWeld and Testors liquid are two different chemicals. ProWeld is methylene chloride, the only thing I know of that will remove marine varnish. A really strong solvent, in other words. Testors is MEK, a solvent frequently used in lacquer and lacquer thinner, not as strong a solvent, and less volatile. Like Smokey says, only you can prevent forest fires. Oops! I mean Smokey says Tenax/ ProWeld is too fast, Testors too slow. I really like the idea of mixing the liquids, and mixing the liquid and the tube.

The tube and liquid mix is strong also.

Does ProWeld have a brush in the bottle?

We just got home from dinner at a Thia place and we learned that soy sauce and brown sugar go good together also.

Thanks for the input guys...Smokey

Pro Weld does have a brush in the bottle, although it's kinda stiff and big for some places. I use a little brush a lot of the time. I can't wait to try the tube/liquid mix. The tube stuff is necessary but it can be a pain in the shorts sometimes.

Soy sauce and brown sugar, yum, yum! Throw some of those little red peppers in mine!

i seldom use straight red tube Testors for anything anymore; i mix it with MEK and put it in a clear jar... good for laminating strips where i need extended working time and quick sticking, but not the semi-permanent bond of ACC. i don't buy small bottles of cement, either, quart cans of MEK would equal out to several hundred dollars in Testor's money...

I might give this a try. I generally like the liquid, but usually find myself going for tube for the big assemblies, but the tube stuff isn't like it used to be...way too gooey. This might work well.

I wonder if I could simply use the Testors cement bottle for storage?

Charlie Larkin

• 2 weeks later...