Model Cars Magazine Forum

Big spray bombs - what is the best to use?

OK -

I wanted some semi-gloss or satin or flat black for a build. I went out and found 12oz. Krylon indoor-outdoor satin black at Wallymart.

I tried to spray it on an interior tub and really didn't like the coverage. It's now soaking in brake fluid.

I then tried some Krylon black primer I had laying around on the underside of a hood and on some wheels - the coverage was great - the spray was predictable - after a few light coats the wheels look just like I wanted them.

What is the best 12 ounce spray bombs? Krylon - Rust-oleum - Valspar?

I like to use it for not-too detailed builds for chassis/interior, etc. I haven't quite progressed to detail painting of chassis.

Walmart sells semi-gloss black in big cans for 99¢.

The Color Place stuff? If so, I've never had much luck with that- pretty much what Tim described, no coverage. Seems kind of 'watery', no matter how long you shake the can. Ditto the 'Miracal' stuff sold at Dollar General, and the 'Brite Touch' stuff from Advance. This isn't a universal thing, mind you, but with those paints it seems like a 50/50 shot as to whether or not the coverage will be any good. At least with the flat and semi gloss black colors- I've used other colors by Color Place, Miracal, and Brite Touch, and they seemed to work pretty well.

Krylon Rust Tough is my main flat/semigloss black of choice. While I've had all kinds of coverage problems with Krylon's indoor/outdoor stuff, I've never had such a problem with the Rust Tough line. Covers very well in relatively few coats, and is quite durable.

Edited by Chuck Most

I use Krylon all the time, I think it is great paint.

Were you using regular Krylon or Krylon Fusion (the stuff for plastic)? Personally I don't really care for Krylon Fusion even though it is marketed for use with plastics.

Did you prime it first? I find it works much better over a good coat of primer. It can be a bit hot for bare plastic.

The Color Place stuff? If so, I've never had much luck with that- pretty much what Tim described, no coverage.

I've never had a problem with "no coverage," it's always worked great for me.

But even if it takes an extra coat or two, at 99¢ a can for 12 ounces, how can you lose?

But even if it takes an extra coat or two, at 99¢ a can for 12 ounces, how can you lose?

Good point... I suppose it wouldn't be an issue, unless you were in some kind of hurry.

Aaron- I've had the same experience with most of the fusion paints... except Olive Drab. I've used that on numerous styrene bodies with no adverse effect. At least none yet!

I've used the Color Place flat black, and it works well over primer.

VHT makes a very nice semi-gloss black, which you can get at auto parts stores. I haven't used it personally, but have seen it used, and it looks really nice.

Otherwise, I generally don't use the big-can paints, except for Dupli-Color/Plasti-Kote.

Charlie Larkin

I use Krylon all the time, I think it is great paint.

Were you using regular Krylon or Krylon Fusion (the stuff for plastic)? Personally I don't really care for Krylon Fusion even though it is marketed for use with plastics.

Did you prime it first? I find it works much better over a good coat of primer. It can be a bit hot for bare plastic.

I as using regular Krylon. I was wondering about the Fusion stuff - I didn't get it because I was fearful of too much paint build -up.

I was shooting directly onto white plastic - which very well could have been my greatest problem.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

I as using regular Krylon. I was wondering about the Fusion stuff - I didn't get it because I was fearful of too much paint build -up.

I was shooting directly onto white plastic - which very well could have been my greatest problem.

Thank you everyone for your replies.

The lack of primer was probably your problem then. I've been using krylon for years, and about 2 years ago I got lazy and put a coat of gloss black directly on a plane I was building (it goes under the aluminium top coat) and it did weird things. It didn't appear to damage the plastic but wrinkled up and showed the grain of the plastic through the paint. Even weirder it absolutely would not come off even after soaking in Superclean for a week when usually a few hours will do it.

As far as Fusion over bare plastic it actually lays down a really nice coat, and you almost have to try to get runs in the paint. The part I don't like is if you don't prime it will show any grain in the plastic, all the swirls etc. I haven't really had any trouble using it over primer, but it doesn't seem to work as well as the regular stuff.

im really tired of paying 5 bucks for these little cans of spray paint. im trying to figure out what you guys are talking about here. are you buying these large cans of krylon and just using it outa the can? or you airbrushing? i would really like to find a can of 12 oz paint for 99 cents. )

im really tired of paying 5 bucks for these little cans of spray paint. im trying to figure out what you guys are talking about here. are you buying these large cans of krylon and just using it outa the can? or you airbrushing? i would really like to find a can of 12 oz paint for 99 cents. )

so these 12 oz krylon fusion paints are the same price as the little modelmasters or testers 3 oz cans? you can use them the same way? right outa the can? they lacquers?

Rob - the Krylon or Rust-oleum 12oz cans are similar to the Testors enamels but not exactly the same. The Testors formulation (I'm assuming) is made specifically for plastics. The other 12oz enamels are formulated to go on just about anything. I use them because they are good enough and don't yet have my airbrush set up.

As far as for being lacquers or enamels - please read the label on the can. Lacquers should be well labeled.

I use 12oz name brand primer exclusively on models I have modified and used putty on. I've had good experience with Krylon and Rust-oleum products.

Go to your local Home Depot or Lowe's and spend some time reading the cans - they should say they can be used on plastics.

While I've never done it - I'm also assuming they can be decanted just like the smaller cans can.

well, i went to wal mart to look at the krylon fusions. it doesnt say if its lacquer or enamel. it says its fast drying tho. it does say for plastic. but i didnt see any primer in that line. there was a white primer in the outdoor indoor labeled krylon paint, can i use that? can i use those indoor outdoor sprays on plastic cars? it doesnt say plastic on the indoor outdoor can. am i not supposed to prime the fusion paint? they did have some colors in the fusion line i liked and also in the indoor outdoor line. these were $4.34 for a 12 oz can, so it would be nice if they worked. i have an elvira thunderbird i paid 40 bucks for. i like the fusion blue, but i dont wanna screw up my 40 dollar model. thanks for your help.

Rob- there isn't Fusion primer. Krylon's big pitch with it is that it can be applied to any plastic without the need for primer. It does work pretty well on MOST of the styrene kits out there, but it can craze some. Not sure if it's enamel or lacquer- most other Krylon paints are acrylic enamel.

well, i went to wal mart to look at the krylon fusions. it doesnt say if its lacquer or enamel. it says its fast drying tho. it does say for plastic. but i didnt see any primer in that line. there was a white primer in the outdoor indoor labeled krylon paint, can i use that? can i use those indoor outdoor sprays on plastic cars? it doesnt say plastic on the indoor outdoor can. am i not supposed to prime the fusion paint? they did have some colors in the fusion line i liked and also in the indoor outdoor line. these were $4.34 for a 12 oz can, so it would be nice if they worked. i have an elvira thunderbird i paid 40 bucks for. i like the fusion blue, but i dont wanna screw up my 40 dollar model. thanks for your help.

I totally understand the value proposition by using Krylon, etc, for model cars. The few times I tried these paints 15 years ago when I returned to the hobby, I got burned with crazing. They are not formulated to work on styrene models. At least use a primer like Duplicolor and their line of automotive touch up paints. If you don't want to ruin a $40 model, use the right paint. Get some Duplicolor sandable or filler primer, and better yet, get some Testors or Tamiya hobby lacquers. You'll be glad you did! ;)

Regluar Krylon & their fusion paint on bare plastic WILL craze like no tommorow! Same goes for other paints like Rustoluem, Valsapr, the glossy colorplace colors (flats seem to work a-OK), and etc.

...But if you got a good primer underneath, they work wonders and save you money for colors you could get in bigger amounts (though there's also Automotive paints and many ppl have excellent results with them (i'm yet to try them)

A good cheap primer I would reccomend would be Sears brand "quick & easy" gray primer (can be found at Sears stores, Sears hardware and K-mart); I've put almost every brand paint over it and NEVER had problems with crazing or compatabiltiy issues. At a $1.69 for a 12oz can that lasts a good amount fer what ya get, how could you lose?

Weird thing is, the primer they have is good, but the rest of the colors they have in the line are awful. It's also like that with the wal-mart paints, their primer is no good, but the colors are awesome over the Sears primer.

Warning: if out think you should use brand A's primer with brand A's color, DO NOT use Krylon's, Rustoluem's, and Valspar's primers on bare plastic! From my exprience with them, they CRAZE very BADLY and their "Plastic formulated" stuff is the same thing, only with "Plastic" labeled on the can. Though sometimes I find that if you apply the sears primer first then the other brand primer, not only you avoid crazing but you'll get good coverage and a smooth serface for the next coat to bite onto.

Though i'm not saying the're all bad, But again I find that if you mix and match paints (such as the wal-mart paint over the sears primer trick) that works very well.

I hope you guys find this info helpfull and useable.

Just a little side here. It's not black but, Ollies has the small cans of Duplicolor spray paint for 59 cents. I picked up two different colors of paint and a can of primer there. They also have some of those large cans of off brand flat black for 99 cents.

I've never had a problem with "no coverage," it's always worked great for me.

thats exactly what ive been using since i got back into the hobby. for 99¢ you cant beat it. i personally love it and use the flat black on most of my models. the only colors i really use from that brand is flat black and primer grey. but i do have the red, green, gloss black, gloss white and dark blue colors they put out