Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID Quiz #31 FINISHED!

Harry, Believe it or not, there's one a them rascals sitting in a shop lot partially covered by a tarp about a 1/4 mile from my house!. It's blue, and it's JUST as ugly in real life as it is in that picture! An I thought it was a one of a kind!:D;):)

Edited by george 53

Harry, Believe it or not, there's one a them rascals sitting in a shop lot partially covered by a tarp about a 1/4 mile from my house!. It's blue, and it's JUST as ugly in real life as it is in that picture! An I thought it was a one of a kind!:D;):)

No, it's not one of a kind... :D

It has what looks like a newer Lincoln grille and a Mark 4(?) body with customizing. So my guess is a Lincoln custom by some shop or factory backed place. The red color is nice but I don't like the whole car. Looked again and it might be a Buick. Just seen a grille like that on a Buick in my area. Could be a custom produced in limited numbers. Wait a minute, this could be a GM Monte Carlo with a Buick grille and extended front clip. Heck I don't know. I do know it is a mid size car with an extended front clip and a custom paint job. Custom Olds Cutlass? No, it's a Lincoln. I do know it isn't a red Camaro. I'm so confused. Patrick M

Edited by pepperdrumstix

I think it's pretty cool looking (I didn't say it's pretty B))...especially considering the source...and that's all I'll say :lol:

I've even contemplated making a model of it :D

Do it! You won't see another at your next contest, that's for sure!

Harry, Believe it or not, there's one a them rascals sitting in a shop lot partially covered by a tarp about a 1/4 mile from my house!. It's blue, and it's JUST as ugly in real life as it is in that picture! An I thought it was a one of a kind!;) ;) <_<

Thought or hoped and prayed it was a one of a kind ;)

It has what looks like a newer Lincoln grille and a Mark 4(?) body with customizing. So my guess is a Lincoln custom by some shop or factory backed place. The red color is nice but I don't like the whole car. Looked again and it might be a Buick. Just seen a grille like that on a Buick in my area. Could be a custom produced in limited numbers. Wait a minute, this could be a GM Monte Carlo with a Buick grille and extended front clip. Heck I don't know. I do know it is a mid size car with an extended front clip and a custom paint job. Custom Olds Cutlass? No, it's a Lincoln. I do know it isn't a red Camaro. I'm so confused. Patrick M

Haha, I had the same feeling... I spent maybe half an hour in google searching pictures, and found nothing. It has the look from many other cars, so it's very tricky to try guessing it right when I have no idea, what I'm looking for. But I'm very interesed about, what it really is, and HOW MANY REALLY GOT IT RIGHT? :D Well, must try again next time this one is too hard for me. I was thinking almost every American car make, like Lincoln, Cryshler etc. But didn't realize, what it is really.

Haha, I had the same feeling... I spent maybe half an hour in google searching pictures, and found nothing. It has the look from many other cars, so it's very tricky to try guessing it right when I have no idea, what I'm looking for. But I'm very interesed about, what it really is, and HOW MANY REALLY GOT IT RIGHT? :lol: Well, must try again next time this one is too hard for me. I was thinking almost every American car make, like Lincoln, Cryshler etc. But didn't realize, what it is really.

:D :D ;)B)

Its a bunch put together...C'mon Harry spill the beans!!!

The car in the photo is a 1987 Zimmer Quick Silver. Here are a lot more photos of this particular one:

http://www.fastlanecars.com/public/vehicle_detail.aspx?vehicle=46ea9e25-d25c-49bc-a4ca-1ce0a075ebd6

Who got it right:

mark taylor

Mike the Maniac

MrObsessive

trogdor

sjordan2

Badluck 13

Jon Cole

Modelmartin

Jim Gibbons

paul alflen

Ryan S

Joe Handley

dimaxion

Considering what Zimmer usually makes, it's amazingly restrained, almost...tasteful, I like the front/middle/sides but not the tail end.

Yeah, hard to believe the same people that made this one also made those "Liberace-mobiles!" ;)

The car in the photo is a 1987 Zimmer Quick Silver.

Who got it right:

mark taylor

Mike the Maniac

MrObsessive

trogdor

sjordan2

Badluck 13

Jon Cole

Modelmartin

Jim Gibbons

paul alflen

Ryan S

Joe Handley

dimaxion

Huh, never heard of that before... It wasn't Cryshler or Lincoln, or any other "normal" manufacturer's car. I thought, it was some kind of prototype, or retro car. Well, better luck next time! I'm suprised, how many people really got it right...

Which in itself was a ripoff of the real classic car designs of the 30s... ;) so no credit to Brooks Stevens for being original... :lol:

But supplied a car with all american parts to a "new segment" market and employeed many in the Milwaukee area...He also did design many of the Stude classics B) B)

"The idea was a "contemporary classic," a new car that looked like the Mercedes SSK that Stevens once owned. "I wanted this to be a replica [for those] who could not play in the collector's market even then [and for those who wanted] a "two-way classic,' something that you can be sure will get you back home..." Stevens duly rendered a dashing neoclassic roadster body, and a Lark Daytona convertible chassis was delivered to his Milwaukee studios with power front-disc brakes and supercharged, 290-horsepower Studebaker 289 V-8. The result, labeled "Studebaker SS," was completed in just six weeks by Stevens and his sons, David and William. ;)

No sooner did it reach New York than Studebaker backed out. A "contemporary classic," said company officials, conflicted with their newly embraced image of the "common-sense car." Undeterred, Stevens arranged to exhibit the SS in a separate space. Luckily, he wound up across from a hot-dog stand, but the cycle-fendered two-seater would have drawn crowds anyway. It was, in fact, a sensation, and dozens of inquiries from would-be owners prompted the Stevens sons to form SS Automobiles in August. By 1966, they had built 56 copies of a mildly modified version bearing the Stevens-registered name Excalibur and also called SS.

Studebaker, meanwhile, had ceased building cars at last, thus ending the availability of its 289 V-8, but General Motors friends Ed Cole and "Bunkie" Knudsen agreed to provide the Stevens family with Chevrolet 327s in 300-bhp Corvette tune. This change made the lithe 2100-pound Excalibur a blistering performer."

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/excalibur.htm

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC

"The idea was a "contemporary classic," a new car that looked like the Mercedes SSK that Stevens once owned.

Yeah, I get that. But to complain that Zimmer ripped off Brooks Stevens make no sense, when Brooks Stevens himself ripped off Mercedes to begin with!

Why is Brooks Stevens' Mercedes ripoff any more legitimate than Zimmer's Brooks Stevens ripoff? :lol:

Yeah, I get that. But to complain that Zimmer ripped off Brooks Stevens make no sense, when Brooks Stevens himself ripped off Mercedes to begin with!

Why is Brooks Stevens' Mercedes ripoff any more legitimate than Zimmer's Brooks Stevens ripoff? :blink:

Because Brooks came up with the Idea......as I lived 4 houses away I would say He just wanted the car to make it BACK home without the wrecker saw more than one classic come back on the hook. Brooks eventually opened up a museum in Mequon WI....

sorta like the PT Cruiser and Chevy HHR.....Old looking...."New" market.

The rumors were that the lawsuits between these two put them both belly up....I just think it was because of the taillights being sooooo ugly

Edited by MIKE THE MANIAC