Model Cars Magazine Forum

How Many Hours Per Week Do You Spend Modeling?

Hello, Everyone i have been wondering just how much time the average person spends on their Models..

I ask because i see such Great Builds..and such Work go in to them...that i wonder is it the years of experience or is it the amount of time involved, in any given week and so on...

"Thanks and Cheers to All"

I'd say about 14/20 hours. I try to do something model related every day. Today all I did was desprue, clean up, and paint two 1930's headlamps and install the lenses. If I have the day off work and don't feel like doing something outdoors (rainy, too hot, etc.), I might spend the full day working on models if I don't have any other commitments or plans for the day, but I'd say I probably average two or three hours a day in a typical week.

Edited by Chuck Most

Lately for me it's been 0, the big gooseegg, nada, none!

When I do sit at the bench, I would say a typical week might be 10 hours, and there has been some rare occasions I've spent that much time there in one day.

Zero at the moment, and its been that way since April.

I spend all my time developing my little farm, gardening & looking after my menagerie. I usualy start at about 7.00am'ish & finish up when it gets dark, thats about 10pm here in the South West UK.

I don't know how I ever found time to go to work, I'm loving retirement. :)

A bit later on in the summer when outside work slackens off a bit I hope to return to the bench.

I do most of my modelling during the winter months when I guess I'm at the bench for at least 4 hours a day. And if I'm skiving off from, or hiding from, work that my wife wants done indoors I can lurk all day in the shed at my bench. :)

I'd clock in about 60-70 hours per week easily. I only work weekends however so I suppose it makes sense.

Lately a lot of time has been occupied by "Parts box specials" rat rods built from whatever I can find in the parts box.

Wow i want a job only working weekends, that would be cool, as I only average 6-8 hours a week :)

:) I think about it 24/7...

buy and hoard..

no confidence or time to build... :)

you have to build, collecting kits if fun, but building is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better fun!!! Open a kit and no matter how it turns out build it, as you go along skills get better and so do the builds..... I only average 1 maybe 2 builds finished a year but try to do more for time reasons.

Edited by Darren B

I have way too much time to pass so I build as long as I can each day or till I run out of things to do then its back to it the next day....cant even guess how many hours a week I spend doing model related work but I am not complaining one bit. As long as theres something to work on I am at it :unsure:.

I was pulling 2-3 hours a day for a while but then I've just been in a block with 0... I need to take that step and walk to my basement, but now that I have Flight Simulator X installed and I'm playing online... I'm having trouble doing the other hobby :unsure:

Well with a part time job, school + homework and what ever else life throws at me maybe around 5-7 hours a week during the Spring/Summer/Fall, Winter is more or less around 8-9 hours a week, the fall and summer seem to be my busiest times with My other hobbies (Hunting and Fishing). Always find time If I can especially if I need to relax.

Nick

That reminds me, I've got parts drying that need collected.

you have to build, collecting kits if fun, but building is waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyy better fun!!! Open a kit and no matter how it turns out build it, as you go along skills get better and so do the builds..... I only average 1 maybe 2 builds finished a year but try to do more for time reasons.

Cool, out of the 13 kits I've bought this year I have made around 11 or 12 complete cars using parts mostly. to date I have built:

32 Ford Coupe

32 Ford rat Rod (was the coupe) in collection

36 Ford Coupe

36 Ford Rat Rod (again, was the coupe above) in collection

32 Ford Rat Rod in collection

70 Mustang in collection

80 Bronco in collection

53 Chev Corvette in collection

49 Ford in collection

there's probably more there but i can't remember lol!

49 Mercury Utility Custom

69 General Lee

Ford F250 Super Duty Aussie Ute (now in bits in the parts box