Model Cars Magazine Forum

late swc willys

brett

Well maybe more modern than late, something I've been wanting to build for a few years, the start of my what if ......... they were still racing or coming back into racing now builds

june011099.jpg

june011100.jpg

june011102.jpg

june011104.jpg

spent a couple of hours Tuesday night thinning and cleaning up the inside of the body and making the appropriate holes and a couple last night (wed) starting on the cage

Thanks Steve. Body? no idea sorry, ebay special.Motor, headers and hat from a kiwi guy doesnt cast anymore ;) rest of motor me. Yes 25th scale. Did a bit more chassis work today

june011128.jpg

june011129.jpg

june011130.jpg

still gotta do some diagonal cross bracing then its on to the rear section and the firewall

Hey Brett Great job so far on this puppy, I hope you dont mind but i want to give you a small piece of advice for your soldering. It will keep your solder points neat and the clean up work will be minimal instead of having a solder ball on each contact point.

1st make sure youre using silver solder

2nd. get yourself some soldering flux, it helps the solder to get in between the joints youre soldering.

3rd . When you solder a joint together just tap a very small amount of solder on the tip of your iron apply a drop of flux to the joint then just touch the parts being soldered. It should leave a drop of solder on the parts , holding them together and make the flux sizzle, then touch the parts again (with the iron) to get the solder to go into the joint. Your solder should now lay smooth across the joint all the way to the other side.

I hope i didnt offened you in anyway and if i did feel free to stop by any of my builds and talk bad about em. :)

Edited by Aftashox

Thanks guys.

Rommel, no sweat appreciate the advice, but two problems 1st I cant find silver solder locally, most of them seem to have no idea what I'm talking about 2nd the iron I've hot is a little large its also 80 watts so it gets pretty hot, I think a little too hot. 3rd which is my fault I kinda did some of it in the wrong order so lots of little bits were attatched before they should have been. Lesson learned I hope

Thanks guys.

Rommel, no sweat appreciate the advice, but two problems 1st I cant find silver solder locally, most of them seem to have no idea what I'm talking about 2nd the iron I've hot is a little large its also 80 watts so it gets pretty hot, I think a little too hot. 3rd which is my fault I kinda did some of it in the wrong order so lots of little bits were attatched before they should have been. Lesson learned I hope

Try buying your silver solder on Ebay, I use a 200/260 watt iron. And that maybe the problem why the solder isnt flowing good cause its not getting hot enough and cooling down too fast. How ever it goes Brett your doing a great job and if your system works for you then thats what you do. Keep up the work!:blink:

Edited by Aftashox

Brett This thing is looking great. Nice work on the chassis so far. I know this will be a beauty when its done. i need to get my butt in gear and start working on some builds again. Hard to keep up with everyone making some great progress on their builds. This week I am planning on being able to spend some more time on the models since things have slowed down a little bit for me. Looking forward to your next update.

Thanks guys, the encouragement is much appreciated. Richard, thats my plan, thought it was a nice contrast(Besides it would be way to hard to paint nicely on the inside lol )Also ties in to the gold lettering a bit, did you notice the shade used on the cage? similar to the earlier car I just done :lol: just trying to get it all tied in.