Model Cars Magazine Forum

1973 plymouth roadrunner

JTRACING

love this car.

I picked up the daisy duke kit, and will use the chassis from the MPC 1970 super bee. it drops right in likes its made for it!

IMG_9277.jpg

the body is in need of a ton of cleanup

IMGP4352.jpg

oh ya and this baby has got a Hemi :lol:

IMGP4350.jpg

IMGP4353.jpg

Edited by JTRACING

Very nice pick color-scheme wise.

You might be happier with the chassis from the '71 Charger. That's a nice chassis that's well-suited to a lot of the mid-'70s B-bodies, it's also a better pick accuracy-wise, as the undersides were different.

Charlie Larkin

You might be happier with the chassis from the '71 Charger. That's a nice chassis that's well-suited to a lot of the mid-'70s B-bodies, it's also a better pick accuracy-wise, as the undersides were different.

Charlie Larkin

my LHS never has the 71 charger kit so this one is all I had available

This is going to be cool. If the detailing on the chassis and mufflers and the holes drilled in the engine block--water pump for water lines plumbing is any indication of future building I will watch this build. Keep us posted please.One of my favorite Plymouth cars of the early '70s. Patrick M

Edited by pepperdrumstix

The Bee chassis works better due to how the firewall and fender wells are made on the Bee compared to the Charger. I already have one under the same car being built here, but it's just a mock up for now. I'll get to it in the future, I hope. lol

engine painted and glued in. next is detailing carbs etc.

IMGP4356.jpg

looks like your off to a good start there, and i also like the weathering on the chassis

on a side not though....isnt this a 74 ?

and are ther any options in the kit?

pretty sure its a 73. other options in the kit are none , but it has a nice decal sheet that includes decals for all available engines. some cool bumper stickers and plates for the dukes of hazard cars

pretty sure its a 73. other options in the kit are none , but it has a nice decal sheet that includes decals for all available engines. some cool bumper stickers and plates for the dukes of hazard cars

that engine looks great

the reason i asked for the build options is because i was thinking it might be a repop of the old 74 GTX wich had some real nice chrome parts and a roll bar

carry on :unsure:

One of the main differences in the chassis's is just mainly the shape of the gas tank, from 71 on up they were smaller, and they changed the engine compartment, Slightly, Thats about it, As far as the color pictured on the real car photos, That is Lucerne Blue,Thats what it was called in 1974, In 1973 it was called True Blue, The shades only differed slighty . Cool Idea with using the 70 Superbee chassis.

Cool looking project so far. Engine bay and chassis looks nice. Do you have a color in mind? I suppose if the stock Super Bee will fit this body,then the pro street chassis should fit also. I may pick up one of these to see if it will work.

not sure on a color yet, if I can find a similar blue I may go with it.

added in some fuel lines

IMGP4370.jpg

IMGP4369.jpg

Great looking build so far!

That orange isn't Hemi orange. Or is it? Did you paint it a darker color or have you weathered it to get it that way?

I just use whatever orange I have lol, I always weather everything so the colors change with that.

Edited by JTRACING

Guest Sickfish

I agree with Charlie, the 71 Charger chassis is the better option, had you had 1 at your disposal  It's a beautiful chassis & so well detailed  This chassis also fits the Dodge Monaco kit ( TJ Hooker, Roscoe's police car & Joker goon car kits ) You would need to chop up the Charger body ( engine bay interior ) to add it to the Monaco's engine bay, but you would have a way better end result  The chassis off the '70 Superbee Pro-street, 68 RR, the 68/69 Charger & the 67 Charger fits alot, if not most, Mopar bodies, with minor or very moderate, alterations.

Will you be going with Dog-dishes? They would look absolutely cool with some nice fat tyres, on this?

Cheers Cliffo 

Charlie Larkin

Awesome looking engine bay! One question: are the inner fenders,firewall and radiator support from the '73 Road Runner or the '70 Super Bee? Your build has made me want to go out and buy one of those '73 Road Runners and I haven't even seen the finished product yet!

small update. just made "glass lenses" for the headlights to replace the molded in chrome look

IMGP4377.jpg

Awesome looking engine bay! One question: are the inner fenders,firewall and radiator support from the '73 Road Runner or the '70 Super Bee? Your build has made me want to go out and buy one of those '73 Road Runners and I haven't even seen the finished product yet!

nothing from the daisy duke kit was use in the engine bay. all super bee

@ Monty, I use artist oils for all the weathering.

nice!

dash painted up, I just dry brushed the gauges since there not that visible when the dash is installed

added "glass" to them with epoxy and also added lenses to the shades the same way

IMGP4395.jpg

IMGP4396.jpg

IMGP4405.jpg

IMGP4402.jpg

Edited by JTRACING

nice!

dash painted up, I just dry brushed the gauges since there not that visible when the dash is installed

added "glass" to them with epoxy and also added lenses to the shades the same way

IMGP4395.jpg

IMGP4396.jpg

IMGP4405.jpg

IMGP4402.jpg

Nice touch ,Adding the epoxy to the guages ,I looks very real, And you can actually read them, Very nice detailing on that dash, I can't wait to see more of this car , You're doing one heck of a good job on this one.