Model Cars Magazine Forum

OverHaulin' Builds

jsimmons

it could be done, only issue is the foose wheels.... you wouldn't be able to get them spot on obviously.

to be honoust, thats probably a good thing, his wheels are not very good looking...specially since he has a tendancy to put too large a rims on cars and 19 inches just dont look good on pre 2000 cars

to be honoust, thats probably a good thing, his wheels are not very good looking...specially since he has a tendancy to put too large a rims on cars and 19 inches just dont look good on pre 2000 cars

I don't think his milling machine can go smaller than 19-inch. :rolleyes:

BUZZKILL, LOL. Actually depends on the car, 19's look good on Chevelles, Novas and GTO's.

On the other mag forum there is a Overhaulin' CBP (failed though I think) where the idea is to "overhaul" an old build.

There was also a "Joe-Verhaulin' " CBP started by Joe Chernauskas on another site that was a similar concept. Never got around to building mine, got to complicated with my nutty ideas for the build.

sorry, i meant they dont look good on muscle cars :rolleyes:

I believe the opposite. I don't think muscle cars look all that good with wheels smaller than 18". However, they don't look all that great with wheels over 20", though.

I believe the opposite. I don't think muscle cars look all that good with wheels smaller than 18". However, they don't look all that great with wheels over 20", though.

Hoo boy! I can see we could just be opening a can of worms with this one! There are probably as many opinions on this subject as there are members of this website. From my own point of view, cars look best when the tire's overall diameter is in the neighborhood of where it was when it left the showroom. "Rubber Band" tires are a definite no-no, so I don't like anything more than a typical "+3" setup (where the wheel is 3" larger than stock - i.e.17" rims on a car that originally rolled on 14's) on mosrt cars. Some day I'd like to mount a set of Trans Am GTA black center lace spoke 16's on a 1965-69 Corvair. All Corvair cars had 13's from the factory (the trucks had 14's), but with proper low-profile tires fit just fine without clearance problems. I personally don't like the look of Foose's lazer-cut, ball-milled wheels on cars from before the 1990's. They're just fine on modern Camaros and Mustangs, but please don't put them on 1970's Z-28's and Mach 1's!

Worse than that, the way I see it, is the current "Donk" trend. Cars that have been jacked up all around to fit 26" wheels or larger under them just look downright silly to me! And some of the cars they ruin to get that look? There is an '87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe the next town over from me that's been wasted that way. A guy who visits a family a couple of blocks from me occasionally has a '64 Impala 4-door sedan that is currently on the same sort of setup. Up until about a year ago it sat slammed down to the street on gold-tone 13" wire rims! Hey guys: If you want to do that sort of thing to a car, there are plenty of more modern, ordinary cars to bastardize. Find yourself an ex-Police Caprice or Crown Vic if you want to make a passenger car look like a monster truck!

Worse than that, the way I see it, is the current "Donk" trend. Cars that have been jacked up all around to fit 26" wheels or larger under them just look downright silly to me! And some of the cars they ruin to get that look? There is an '87 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe the next town over from me that's been wasted that way. A guy who visits a family a couple of blocks from me occasionally has a '64 Impala 4-door sedan that is currently on the same sort of setup. Up until about a year ago it sat slammed down to the street on gold-tone 13" wire rims! Hey guys: If you want to do that sort of thing to a car, there are plenty of more modern, ordinary cars to bastardize. Find yourself an ex-Police Caprice or Crown Vic if you want to make a passenger car look like a monster truck!

Donk kits are great if you want to build a stocker and use the wheels on a project that could properly make use of them, other wise there junk.

Should we do this guys? like, look at it from this perspective, we could call it "The Average Joe-verhaulin" where you build a car up from a glue bomb/ paint bomb or a base kit and modify it so that it appears to have been overhauled by your average blue collar bloke.

I'm in if we can do it? say make the cars look like a $20,000 restoration project?

I enjoy model restorations/resto-mods even more than building a new kit! I have about a dozen boxes of models I built as a kid back in the 70's so I'm sure I can find something in there to do for a CBP like that. I generally rebuild Corvair annuals I find on eBay, but how many "Average Joes" customize Corvairs? I know plenty of guys who have modified their Corvairs through the club, but they don't seem to turn up at the typical Saturday night Cruise-In.

I like the sounds of this one, but personally think you'll get more people doing it if you keep the rule/rules simple.

My thought would be 1 rule, then maybe a timeframe.

The one rule, start with a glue bomb. (I have plenty of these I'm trying to do this to anyway)

This would be an overhauling/joeverhauling build, so you wouldn't be starting with all freshly popped bodies and parts. Sure, you may put them in etc. if you choose too, but that's then the builders choice, as it would be in the real world. It could then be built anyway the builder wants.

But this is just my opinion. It's worth what it cost you.

I'm fixing up a glue bomb at the moment (it's been butchered a number of times by a younger version of me who'd I'd really like to have a serious talking to, as they are making my current build a lot more difficult than it should be) as I've seen a drawing of someone else's design that I really like. I'm hoping that it will look like something a professional builder might build in 1:1. If that's the case, it definately wouldn't fit into the $20,000 budget.

I'm in! I have to see what I can dig up that I haven't already stripped and disassembled... Now I do have a 1965 AMT Corvair annual that I got started on a while back as a replica of my first Corvair, and I took plenty of "In The Works" shots of it since I was planning on posting a restoration photo album on another website (www.Motortopia.com, a general-interest car guy site. I run a model car group on there. Feel free to look me up oin there - My screen name on Motortopia is CorvairJim too). I had to completely replace the rear 3/4 inches of the body because some dumb-@** kid cut it all to hell to install a big V-8 in it! I cut the piece I needed from a donor body to preserve the rest of the annual body, with it's "1965" plate on the front and it's one-year-only 1965-style trim. I've sourced some parts from a donor reissue kit, mostly the chrome and glass because I don't have an airbrush to redo the chrome with Alclad and I'm too lazy to polish out the glass when I have brand new parts available! The 1965-only interior is being reused with the exception of the instrument panel (the Corsa part from the model was wrong for a replica of my Monza-trim level car). I'm using wheel covers that I got in a seperate deal on eBay. I had to use a donor chassis, but I modified it to replicate the way the chassis was configured for the original 1965 release, so it doesn't look like the reissue part anymore.

Of course, if this doesn't fit the guidelines, I can always come up with a "Plan B"... But I'll have to think about it. Whatever the case, the '65 Corvair restoration will continue, and you'll see it "Under Glass" before too long.

I'm fixing up a glue bomb at the moment (it's been butchered a number of times by a younger version of me who'd I'd really like to have a serious talking to, as they are making my current build a lot more difficult than it should be) as I've seen a drawing of someone else's design that I really like. I'm hoping that it will look like something a professional builder might build in 1:1. If that's the case, it definately wouldn't fit into the $20,000 budget.

I feel your pain, my friend. I DEFINITELY feel your pain! dry.gif