Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell 1970 Boss 429

jsimmons

Don't know about anyone else but I would much rather see you post some photos right here. I know for myself I probably wouldn't click on a link to go to an external page to see it...after all...that's what this part of this forum is all about.

Well, I go through a lot of effort to put it on my own web page (I'm a programmer, and I do that kind of stuff). Besides, it's not like it's fotki, photobucket or something like that. It's also completely ad-free (I pay my own way). I'll post photos in Under Glass when it's done, though.

Don't know about anyone else but I would much rather see you post some photos right here. I know for myself I probably wouldn't click on a link to go to an external page to see it...after all...that's what this part of this forum is all about.

I'm with you Terry. This forum is about model car building, not computer programming. My computer is old and slow (like me?); I can't be bothered to wait for some whizz kid's web site to come up just to see how well he builds a web site.

Sorry, but that's just how I feel.

I'm with you Terry. This forum is about model car building, not computer programming. My computer is old and slow (like me?); I can't be bothered to wait for some whizz kid's web site to come up just to see how well he builds a web site.

0) I'm 55 and have been a programmer for 30 years. I don't think I fit into the "wiz-kid" mold. At my age, I'm all about efficiency of movement.

1) For what it's worth, my web page is faster than fotki and more reliable than photobucket, requires no logon, contains no ads, does not use cookies or other potentially evil tracking technology, and only supports one person - me. It doesn't even have forums (which would be simple to add, but would create more headaches than it's worth).

2) I'm not trying to impress anyone with my web site building abilities. However, I only use FireFox, so if anyone uses another browser and something looks wonky and lets me know, I'll work on fixing it.

3) I'm not selling anything, and only provide a link to the model in question, and you don't have to click a link to go to more pages about the model.

Given point #2 in the list above, it's more "bother" to deal with the multi-page format here than it is to click a single link and scroll on the subsequent page. For the people who are arguing the point, it takes longer to type a message saying you don't want to be bothered to to click a link, than it would to simply click the single link.

But whatever.

*You guys* are making it about programming. I merely posted a link to the progress page for a model car I'm building.

I am curious though. How many of you guys clicked the link anyway? Given the topic is a Mustang, I would think I'd get better feedback from a guy with the user ID "MustGT" than a guy calling himself "Corvette.Jeff". (BTW, thanks again, Jeff for blazing the trail everyone else seems so reluctant to take.)

Edited by jsimmons

I think it's s great log of yer work broken down nicely..

and you have avoided the potential for comments mid WIP form others :blink:..

which leaves you with a clean log of yer WIP.

Accessed the link no problem... photo's and script are easy to follow..

:) nice so far..

0) Given point #2 in the list above, it's more "bother" to deal with the multi-page format here than it is to click a single link and scroll on the subsequent page. For the people who are arguing the point, it takes longer to type a message saying you don't want to be bothered to to click a link, than it would to simply click the single link.

But whatever.

First off, I apologise for the "whiz kid" comment. I was frustrated that my poor old computer was taking so long to connect to your link. Maybe guys with newer computers (and computer programmers) don't have that problem.

Yes, as a Mustang guy, I want to see pictures of your build, and maybe that's what got me frustrated. You've made some interesting points about why you think it's faster your way and from your point of view, but it's even faster if the pictures are right here, where we can see them, without clicking anything......

By the way... you did ask for comments and suggestions....

Tony

Edited by GTMust

It's looking pretty good so far.

Your not the only one to keep track of your work. I started doing that with my latest build. I wanted to see just how much time I put into building a model.

I want to do one of these in a black over graphite with color keyed trim, wheels and bumpers. Maybe some type of fuel injection on that 429. Can't wait to see how your paint turns out.

Oh, and the last one of these I did was way back when it first came out. Took it and the suspension from the 4X4 Ramcharger and made a flamed blue monster Mustang... :)

First off, I apologise for the "whiz kid" comment. I was frustrated that my poor old computer was taking so long to connect to your link. Maybe guys with newer computers (and computer programmers) don't have that problem.

Yes, as a Mustang guy, I want to see pictures of your build, and maybe that's what got me frustrated. You've made some interesting points about why you think it's faster your way and from your point of view, but it's even faster if the pictures are right here, where we can see them, without clicking anything......

By the way... you did ask for comments and suggestions....

Tony

The latency you're seeing is likely a browser issue more than a hardware issue. This site is already in your browser cache because you've been here before. My site is new to your browser, and it has to download evrything (the first time). After the first time, it should go much faster for you.

(And the comments/suggestions thing was for the model itself, not my chosen method of delivery.)

Looks like lots of detail going on your build and it's looking good.

Do you use a stop watch when you build?

Nah. I write down the time I start, and the time I stop when I work on it, and round it to the nearest 15-minute interval. I do it more for myself than anything else because I want to know how much time I've actually put in on a model. It's difficult to do that when it takes a couple of months to build a car. I just got done building a 1/72 USS Gato for my dad, and I put in a little over 31 hours on it, but it took me four calendar months to finish it.

It's looking pretty good so far.

Your not the only one to keep track of your work. I started doing that with my latest build. I wanted to see just how much time I put into building a model.

I want to do one of these in a black over graphite with color keyed trim, wheels and bumpers. Maybe some type of fuel injection on that 429. Can't wait to see how your paint turns out.

Oh, and the last one of these I did was way back when it first came out. Took it and the suspension from the 4X4 Ramcharger and made a flamed blue monster Mustang... B)

The current plan on the paint (which changes pretty much every time I think about it) is to do the hood, tops of the front fenders, bumpers, grill, tail light panel louvers, spoiler, and wheels with semi-gloss black. I have some black chrome BMF for the window trim. I have to do a test spray with the red I selected, and if I don't like what it looks like, I'll be using silver. I'm also thinking about making my own rocker panel decals. If I could make white decals, I would paint the car a darker color...

I'm considering trying to manufacture an intake manifold so I can mount some webers on it (the ones from the DM FIA 289 resin parts). I'm also considering (and would probably even prefer) a dual-quad setup. If anyone knows of a low-rise dual-quad or quad-weber intake that'll fit this motor, I'd be interested in hearing about it. Otherwise, it's Evergreen time.

My first one was a OOB build of the Boss 302 (I think you saw that car in my display case). The 2nd one was a pro-stock car that came out REALLY nice, but it got lost between two moves and 23 years of time. I plan on building another prostock version (I already have most of the material I need). I just wish the prostock glidden t-bird was 0) more plentiful, and 1) cheaper to buy. I'd snap up four or five if the price was right.

Edited by jsimmons

Sorry, but I haven't seen your build but would love to. I come here to see people's builds. I can appreciate your effort building your web site but I don't go when people send me somewhere else. I know about programming.. my first was in 1964 in Fortran.

This place is to make it easy (I know.. clicking an external link is easy) to see and comment on people's builds. If you don't want everyone to see your hard work then send them somewhere else by all means.

I don't think he gets the point Mike. Commenting on something that you can't see in this thread doesn't work too well...... when the reference is in cyber space on his web site. Or perhaps he really doesn't want comments other than "looking good", etc?

But why bother? His mind is made up....... so be it.

I checked out your build page and you seem to have a lot of details planed for this build.

But have you checked the rear tire?

It looks off center in the wheel well,unless thats just because of the mock up shot.

It looks like it will be a nice build when your finished.

I checked out your build page and you seem to have a lot of details planed for this build.

But have you checked the rear tire?

It looks off center in the wheel well,unless thats just because of the mock up shot.

It looks like it will be a nice build when your finished.

Yeah, it's just the mockup. I have another Boss kit and used the unmodified rear end as a guide for axle placement. I'm having an issue with the model where fitment of the chassis is concerned. One side is higher than the other. I checked my other kit and it has the same issue. I've tried adjusting it through cautious removal of material, but no joy. I was planning on painting the chassis this weekend, but for now, that's been postponed.

Sorry, but I haven't seen your build but would love to. I come here to see people's builds. I can appreciate your effort building your web site but I don't go when people send me somewhere else. I know about programming.. my first was in 1964 in Fortran.

This place is to make it easy (I know.. clicking an external link is easy) to see and comment on people's builds. If you don't want everyone to see your hard work then send them somewhere else by all means.

I've owned the paddedwall.org domain since about 1996, and the entire reason for it to exist is to be my own personal website. There has never been a commercial aspect to the site, and I pay for my own domain and web hosting because I don't like ads, and I believe in paying my own way (besides, nothing is free and I don't really trust any corporate entity that is trying to convince me that it's magnanimous.

Technically, I didn't build the web site just for displaying my model build logs. I just got back into model building after a 20+ year hiatus, and figured I'd add a section for my model cars (they used to be grouped into the diecast section). For me, it ain't about the programming or the web site. If you go to the link provided, all of the info about the build is on a single page. You don't have to go any further if you don't want to. In fact, you don't even have to scroll if you don't want to read the narrative. Just click the first picture, and you'll be able to just look at the pictures one right after the other.

This place is to make it easy for people that don't have the time/desire/resources to do what I've done. Someone else mentioned the benefit that you can actually see the build progress without all of the comments interspersed between updates. If you think it will help, I can even put a link to this thread from my progress web page, but given that most modern browsers allow you to open up a new window or even a new tab for each web page, I think adding a link-back to this thread would be fairly redundant.

When this whole issue started, I was thinking I'd post one picture each time I update, with a link to the actual progress page, but I don't think that would change anybody's outlook. Unless and until someone comes up with a compelling reason to change the way I'm doing it, it's going to stay the way it is. I certainly think it's better than using fotki/photobucket/et al.

The people that keep bringing this up are taking attention AWAY from the process of building model cars. Who cares where the pictures are, or where the build log is? We're all doing the same thing, and making it about something else is almost puerile in nature. As few of us as are left in the hobby, I was expecting better. Honestly.