Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to remove tape adhesive?

Hey guys, I taped some parts together with clear packing tape to measure and such but I left it on the plastic too long and the adhesive remained in patches when I removed the tape. Does anyone know what works best to remove the adhesive residue?

Hey guys, I taped some parts together with clear packing tape to measure and such but I left it on the plastic too long and the adhesive remained in patches when I removed the tape. Does anyone know what works best to remove the adhesive residue?

Hi Ben, just use any of the Citrus based products like Goo Gone, De-Solv-it etc. You should have the residue gone in seconds with no damage.

Ed

Goo Gone, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Easy Off Oven Cleaner or Dawn Power Dissolver all work great for sticky stuff without harming the plastic BUT make sure the parts you're using the last 3 on aren't painted, as those products will also remove paint if left on for an extended period of time :D

Don't breathe in the Easy Off (lots of fumes) and both the Easy Off & the Dawn Power Dissolver are harsh on hands, so if you can pick up some dollar store dishwashing gloves to wear. Apply one of the products above (the 91% isopropyl alcohol is probably the cheapest next to dollar store brand "Easy Off" imitation oven cleaner (works just as good). Also you could possibly try "Invisible Glass" window cleaner by Stoner Products, it is THE BEST product I've found to safely remove anything sticky from painted surfaces without harming the paint or plastic underneath & it works quicker than Goo Gone without leaving an oily/greasy film like Goo Gone will (if you use Goo Gone make sure you clean the part(s) with mild dish soap & warm water to get all residue off. Invisible Glass will also wipe clean and doesn't leave any residue.

Edited by MB_ChargerChick

Goo Gone, 91% Isopropyl Alcohol, Easy Off Oven Cleaner or Dawn Power Dissolver all work great for sticky stuff without harming the plastic BUT make sure the parts you're using the last 3 on aren't painted, as those products will also remove paint if left on for an extended period of time :(

Don't breathe in the Easy Off (lots of fumes) and both the Easy Off & the Dawn Power Dissolver are harsh on hands, so if you can pick up some dollar store dishwashing gloves to wear. Apply one of the products above (the 91% isopropyl alcohol is probably the cheapest next to dollar store brand "Easy Off" imitation oven cleaner (works just as good). Also you could possibly try "Invisible Glass" window cleaner by Stoner Products, it is THE BEST product I've found to safely remove anything sticky from painted surfaces without harming the paint or plastic underneath & it works quicker than Goo Gone without leaving an oily/greasy film like Goo Gone will (if you use Goo Gone make sure you clean the part(s) with mild dish soap & warm water to get all residue off. Invisible Glass will also wipe clean and doesn't leave any residue.

Thanks Michelle, I did try Windex but it doesn't work. I'd have to do some hunting to find the Stoner brand. I do use Easy Off for stripping chrome so I might try that. The plastic is not painted.

I've had good luck with good old WD-40 you can leave it set for a few min. and most should come off the the 1st. round but you might meed to apply it two or three times to get it all. It works for me.

Thanks Gene, I may try that.

I would try oven cleaner but these are big parts. When I do use oven cleaner, I put the parts in a zip lock bag, spray a bit of it in the bag and then seal it.

I have one of the pieces soaking in Westley's Bleach White right now. Just experimenting with what I happen to have here. If that don't work I'll head to the store and pick up some Goo Gone.

Give normal cooking oil (Wesson, etc.) a try. I use it to remove the adhesive from price stickers on a number of glass, plastic, objects. A little of that with some rubbing with your fingers usually cleans it up.

Tim

I also vote for Goo Gone, but as Paul experienced, don't soak parts in it, just apply and rub. It contains petroleum distillates, so it will attack certain plastics if left on too long.

I have an ostomy, and have to change the appliance weekly. The fabric "bandage" area leaves behind a lot of adhesive residue. I got tired of paying ridiculous amounts of money for medical adhesive removal pads, which are pretty much Goo Gone in an individually packaged wipe. I decided to try Goo Gone, and haven't looked back. I then clean the area with isopropyl alcohol to remove the "greasy" film that Goo Gone leaves. Now that everyone is thinking "Wow, that is just too much information," :D I will state that if Goo Gone can be used in the manner I do, it should be okay for models!

Where's the best place to find Goo Gone? Can it be found in grocery stores? I'll be going to HEB (our biggest chain here in Texas) later and was wondering if I might find it there?

take come scotch tape place it over where the tape was rub it down pull off and it should start taking it off. may need to repeat a few times but works great in my opinion. I have done it many times on different things.

Thanks Chris, that's the first thing I tried. It pulls tiny specks off but this adhesive is really stuck on there good!

I'm with Jim. Spend a little extra and use the painter's tape. I always wash the body or parts in soap and water and air-dry anyway as a matter of course, but it ends the whole residue matter.

Barring that, alcohol, ammonia, and other stuff like that should remove the goo. Or Dawn dish soap. Allow it to soak for a while and then rinse and dry; I'm never ceasing to be amazed at how much stuff Dawn can get off of things.

Charlie Larkin

Edited by charlie8575

3M "blue" painters tape will leave residue behind on painted surfaces and also on clear glass parts. i use both the regular blue tape and the orange core safe release and both will do the same. Tamiya's tape in my experience is the only one that will not leave any residue behind.

I must Agree 100% Correct Indeed B)