Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Sox & Martin project.

Modelmartin

One of the members of my club , Chris Vick, has built over 70 Wood Brothers Nascar cars and is still going! He was my inspiration for this project in which I am attempting to build 20 different Sox & Martin cars. Well I have 2 finished and 4 more started. I have all of the kits and decals I need. ( I wish Slixx had gotten the differnt ampersands and gold/silver correct on the logos)

4_15029.jpg

4_15030.jpg

4_15034.jpg

Wish me luck! I am going to need it.

Thanks for your comments. To answer several queries at once - The AWB 65 Belvedere is from Good Stuff with a bunch of AMT Road Runner stuffed underneath, I do have the decals for the Ronnie Sox 62 Chev and plan to do that car as well, and the Superbird ran in 70 as a Super Stock and in 71 as a Modified Production . It didn't have the scoop in 70 and that is how I modeled it.

I have done a lot of research in my very extensive magazine collection and you can't believe the number of unusual variations I have found and I am sure there are more out there. The 68-69 Cudas ran as everything from a Stocker to Super Stock, Pro Stock, and in 69 as a B/G with an injected hemi and then in 73 or so they narrowed the rearend, put on Cragar Super Tricks, and ran as a SS/A. It's going to be fun.

Andy, this is an impressive task ahead of you. What does your list look like, aside from what you have shown already?

I am currently working on the same type of task. To date I only have the 65 altered wheelbase car done. But I am working on the Omni as well as having gathered all of the kits and parts for two Colts, a 70 Cuda, 68 Cuda, 72 Duster and a 71 Roadrunner.

Here is a pic. of one of the Colts that I intend to do

sox_coltRODSHOP-vi.jpg

You said that you have plenty of research. If there is anything that you are missing then please check out the Sox & Martin album that I created in my Fotki albums. I have over 130 photos in there. The link is below.

http://public.fotki.com/1320wayne/model_re...sox-and-martin/

Well, let's see if I can remember them all!

62 Chev

63 Chev

(2) 64 Comets 1 white, 1 r,w,blue

65 2 dr post unaltered wb, carbs

65 HT AWB injected, fuel tank in grille

66 Bacaruda!

67 GTX Hemi 4-spd black interior

67 GTX 440 auto. clinic car white interior

68 Cuda SS/B

69 Cuda B/G

68-9 GTX SS 440 6-pac

68-9 Road Runner SS Hemi

70 Cuda pro

70 Duster pro

70 Superbird SS

71 Cuda pro

72 GTX SS

72 Cuda pro

72 Duster pro

73 Colt pro in Sox& Martin colors

Omni Pro

I do have all of the kits and decals at this point. Some will be full-detail and some like the Comet, Colt and Omni will be curbsides. I will be using newer kit undersides on the older kits like the 68-9 Cudas. I am using the Revell Dart chassis on those. I will pass on the T-Bird, Comet Pro/Mod, and the Truck. I would do the Challenger from the late 70s if I could find a kit of it. I want to concentrate on the heydays of Sox & Martin.

Thanks for your photo link. I already had quite a bit of it and I generally don't use restored cars for reference if I can help it. Fortunately I am a car magazine fanatic and my Wall O' Mags had more material than I could use. If you ever need something specific feel free to ask me and I can scan and send! I have a lot of feature articles and many smaller pics in event coverage.

Sometimes Sox & Martin showed up with 4 cars at a race! Indy 1970 they had 3 Pro Stocks entered - 69 Cuda, 70 Cuda, and a Duster! At Indy 69 they had 2 69 Cudas ,one in SS/X (trial run for pro/Stock) and one in B/G. I found a reference to them bringing one of the 70 Cudas to an AHRA meet running a single 4 barrel in GT-1 class. They showed up at one NHRA meet in 67 with 3 GTX. Also they just changed trim and some sheet metal to update the cars and it is really hard to track that. It is real obvious when they changed the 70 Cuda to a 71 because at the 1st couple of races in 71 that car had the 6-pack scoop and the same classnumber and stickers in the windows as it ran in late 70. In late 71 they ran 2 71 Cudas with differing scoops. The newer one got changed to a 72 the next year. Then there is the red and chrome bumpers from 70. I picked out a representative sampling of their cars for my project

Now that I have posted this thread I am going to have to build some momentum on this project. I will endeavor to keep it going and update it regularly. I shot my first coat of white on the 65 AWB last night. I want to get it done for our GMO/NNL in MPLS in June.

Thanks to everybody for looking and commenting. :D

Looks like you are more prepared than I could have imagined. That is an impressive list. Please keep us updated with your progress.

By the way, in your available research, would you happen to have any color shots of the 71 Roadrunner? All I have is a couple of small black and whites. I can see from those that the paint scheme is pretty simple and follows some of the other cars but I would love to have something in color to go by. Thanks.

Charlie,

That is the 71 RR that Wayne was referring to in the post just before yours. It has to be the least known Sox & Martin car. There was an article on the car which I, of course, lost but am still searching for. I think it was in one of the east coast mags and I think that car ran in Modified Production. Thanks for offering up your Fotki album. I did grab a couple of pics.

It was out of one of the 68-69 Road Runner/GTX kits. They are all the same. I bought so many of them for parts for this project I can't remember which specific kit it was. I wil be having one heck of an Ebay Mopar parts auction when I finish this project!

Thanks but no, Don. :roll: I prefer the Perry's Cuda Conversion I already have and the Styrene Omni I also already have. I prefer doing my own mods. By the way, I have never seen the 70 with the 68-69 style scoop. Also not aware that Sox & Martin ever ran any car with slapper bars.

Hey Al,

My list was just the cars I plan on building but that was very cool seeing the Camaro. You can't keep a good driver away from the steering wheel.

Thanks,

Thanks but no, Don. :roll: I prefer the Perry's Cuda Conversion I already have and the Styrene Omni I also already have. I prefer doing my own mods. By the way, I have never seen the 70 with the 68-69 style scoop. Also not aware that Sox & Martin ever ran any car with slapper bars.

Thanks for the Complements 8)