Model Cars Magazine Forum

Newbie Question on Painting

Good day fellaz,

I'm new in this plastic modelling world. Currently I'm building a Golf GTI MKV by FUJIMI with BBS LM wheels by Fujimi as well. No other mods apart from the wheels, unfortunately. I'd like to use this opportunity to learn to customize plastic model kit. At the moment, I'm in painting stage. I have several questions regarding painting the model.

1. I;ve just finished painting the body, but unfortunately orange peel is showing up on every part of the body. I'm planning to spray clear coat on top of the paint later on. Do I need to sort out the orange peel now or after the clear?

2. If I have to do it now (before the clear), will the clear be able to stick to the paint? the reason i ask is that in order to smooth out the orange peel, I need to use some sort of polishing liquid. Will this allow the clear to adhere to the paint?

thanks again, fellaz.

Yes, it is better to address the orange peel before clear coating instead of hoping the clear smooths it out.

All you need to do is sand out the orange peel before clearing. (You can polish the clear afterwards.)

Without any photos I can only give some general direction/advice. I'd say sand it with 1200 wet paper, check your progress often. You just want to take off the peaks of the orange peel so it is a uniform sheen with no spots (low points).

That grit will also leave enough "tooth" for the clear to adhere to.

The biggest concern is to not sand through the color. Be especially careful around the edges and high points of the parts. If you do sand through, touch it up. Once you have a uniform color base, apply the clear.

The next step is to learn how to apply paint with less orange peel...

What Mark says is totally correct.

I would like to add that if the color is a metallic - be careful. The shade of the color could very well change if you sand too deeply.

I have read many posts on clearing with Future floor wax/polish stuff- then polish sanding that after it hardens. Do some searches for the solution that suits you best and experiment.

I haven't used the Future solution - and am a little sceptical - but I am eager to try it due to some of the results that I have run accross on this board.