Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Corvette C3 WIP

mad mike

:D

thanks a lot for all the praise, it's nice to hear it after putting her together at one o'clock in the morning, with shaky hands and a head full of spray fumes.

The joys of modeling ;)

@ Len: The headlight housings are CAD designed and 3D-printed, while the reflectors and the glass are copies from my Cobra parts.

And hey, she can blink B)

DSC_0177-vi.jpg

Oh, and one more thing: ALCLAD II chrome paint ROCKS!!! I really like the stuff, worked great right from the spot.

Great paint job Mike, are all the chrome parts painted with Alclad?

Bill

Hello Bill,

apart from the sills which are made with chrome foil, all other chrome parts are painted with Alclad II, no cover paint.

The windowframe, top grilles, rims and the sidepipes were primed with th same glossy black 2K as the body,

while all the other parts have no primer underneath - I molded them glossy so that primer wouldn't be necessary.

I make my silicone moulds always like that to avoid the primer work.

Actually, it's possible to mould the parts in shades of grey to achieve an effect range from silver-looking to steel-looking chrome with Alclad paint,

which is translucent.

I think you can't tell from the photos, but this difference can be seen when comparing the sidepipes with the bumpers.

Oh, and I hope the PM I sent you made it through? That Camaro of yours ROCKS!

Greets, Michael

• 3 weeks later...

Looks like I was AWOL when you updated this thread. :wacko:

Mike, it's looking fantastic! B)

Did you 3D-print the Stingray emblems as well? Even in 1/8 scale, that's some intricate stuff.

And I especially love those bumpers and grilles, they look perfect!

But I have to ask . . . did you intentionally use the late C3 crossflag nose emblem instead of the early one?

It looks great regardless. :)

Looks like I was AWOL when you updated this thread. :wacko: Mike, it's looking fantastic! B) Did you 3D-print the Stingray emblems as well? Even in 1/8 scale, that's some intricate stuff. And I especially love those bumpers and grilles, they look perfect! But I have to ask . . . did you intentionally use the late C3 crossflag nose emblem instead of the early one? It looks great regardless. :)

Hello Trae,

always nice to hear from you!

Yep, the Stingray emblem is 3D print, shows what can be done if you know some tricks...

The bumpers are actually handmade from acrylic glass, no RP at all.

The nose emblem was a makeshift solution, having to finish the car at three o'clock in the morning in time for an exhibition :blink:

Actually, I don't know what the correct emblem would have been... can you tell me? (Surely ;)

And to all you guys looking at the car and telling me those nice things: Thank you!!! :D

Wow. This may be the best model I've ever seen built. Simply stunning in all areas. The headlights alone are filled with more detail than your average scale model.

Care to share any details about the wheels?

Hello Casey,

those wheels are actually only temporarily installed. I don't have the hubcaps or bolts ready yet, and the chassis needs some work too.

Basically, I use a modular method of combining one-piece tire and wheel rim parts with interchangeable center spokes. On my Cobra

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=45461

there are the same tire/rim parts, with different centers. And I changed the rear tire writing from "Eagle" to "Blue Streak Speedway Special" by hand.

The master pattern of the parts was made via Rapid Prototyping (3D Printing), and I made silicon moulds of all the parts afterwards.

Right now, I'm making some BF Goodrich Radial TAs for my next car, don't want to use Goodyears all the time.

And the painting was done after assembling the wheels, with gloss black primer and Alclad II.

And about those headlights - I have prepared them to have LEDs installed, let's see when I get to that B)

If you want some too, they should fit on any Monogram C3 Vette in 1/8 with a little work, and I've got moulds of all the parts.

The nose emblem was a makeshift solution, having to finish the car at three o'clock in the morning in time for an exhibition :blink:

Actually, I don't know what the correct emblem would have been... can you tell me? (Surely ;)

Sure, the "early" C3 (1968-'72) emblem looks like this:

T-431.JPG

It appears the one you've modeled is the 1977-'79 version:

X-2711.jpg

:)

that is beautiful and i dont even like those "disco" vettes too much!

you have great taste in avatar too by the way! ;)

Hello jbwelda,

Colin Chapman is the man, and I can only quote a German motor journalist when it comes to the Elise: "Sexy, just like a miniskirt." The one on the avatar was just a test drive, sadly. One day I'll own one for real. For now I have to do with the 1/8 model of a 111R I've got lying around here somewhere... You'll see her on this forum one fine day :D

Edited by mad mike

@ Trae:

You're the man to ask. I'll rely on you when I start that '65 C2, ok? She'll be red, I promise :lol: maybe with a little black, though!

I'll check if I can change the emblem on my C3 to the correct one, I think it would look better on her.

But first I've got to get her some kind of chassis finally :blink:

Soon, there will be some new pictures with the final changes I hope...

By the way, don't tell me you actually didn't notice the missing chrome strips on the side window frames?!!

You're the man to ask. I'll rely on you when I start that '65 C2, ok? She'll be red, I promise :lol: maybe with a little black, though!

Naturally, I'm not quite as knowledgeable on the C2's, but I'll help as much as I can. :)

By the way, don't tell me you actually didn't notice the missing chrome strips on the side window frames?!!

Nope, I really didn't notice. I'll pay more attention next time. :lol:

• 1 year later...