Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

Well, one AMT Cobra in the running, rules out mine! ;)

Nothing in the rules that I can see that says we can't have two of the same car. We'll probably be building them differently anyway. :D:)

Go for it Chuck......

Tony

I'm gonna be building my Cobra as a daily driver/weekend racer..... something like this: I think this is actually a later model than the 1962 AMT version (maybe 1964 or 1965?), but it gives an idea of where I plan to go.

imagesCA79ORDO.jpg

I was racing a Mini Cooper back around the same time and I can vividly remember one of these privately owned Cobras flashing past me on the back straight at Mosport, near Toronto.

Haven't decided on colors etc. yet... get to that when the existing yellow disappears after a couple of coats of "Easy Off". Must admit, I do like that silver/blue.

Tony

518.jpg

Some of this may find it's way to the parts box, but most of it is junk. Two questions: 1) Can anyone identify that engine? And 2) Can anyone USE that engine??? :lol:

hey tell you what pm me some better pics of the engine and i may be able to help and i may pending on condition of parts be able to use the intake setup on it! B)

i took a quick look at the donor body and it looks like the paint will come off fine (its coming into the shower with me later tonight to get cleaned up)

however, i appears 3 out of the 4 roofposts are broken so it will need some extra work

That's a 289 FIA. It has a flared-arch body but had the 289 engine and chassis. It'd take a fair amount of work to make one from the AMT kit.

Whoops.... that's not exactly what I had in mind, Mark. The FIA body is more like the Revell Cobra 427, I know. No, I'll be using the stock 62 Cobra body without modifying it.

Actually I was referring to the paint scheme concept, different numbers but the same general idea. I will also use different wheels (alum mag. type to be selected) and wider tires instead of the kit wires and skinnies. I haven't yet checked the suspension detail but some lowering will also be in order.

Hey guys!

Good to see this thread coming along so well!

I've completed concept sketches of my f250 vette truck, and bot did I have some whacky ideas!

Here's the list of mods:

-53 vette front end

-53 vette rear end

-Suicide doors

-Roadster conversion (no roof)

-Chopped roof

-see through bonnet

-Silver with purple flames (Tamiya for once lol)

-426? Blown Hemi

-Revell 36 Ford 18" five spoke wheels.

-Custom made grille

-Awesome stereo components

More soon :rolleyes: Pics soon also.

Another day, another set of pics on my Corvair restoration...

520.jpg

This shows the top side of the chassis from the "Bomb" on the right and the brand spankin' new part from the reissue on the left. The old part has too many issues to be salvagable, but the new one will take some modification to duplicate the original 1965 unit. AMT modified it over the years to the point that it just won't look "right" to anyone who knows Corvair models... Me, for instance!

524.jpg

Left to right: An original 1965-'66 AMT annual Corvair chassis, the modified reissue chassis, and the used-up original from the "Bomb", along with the parts that had been added to it.

525.jpg

Same as above, but showing the undersides of the parts. I had to modify the rear frame rail, add the rectangular hole for the optional turbocharger plumbing, and replace the stubby locator nubs up front with screw holes.

579.jpg

Here's the interior bucket with the package shelf from the donor in place. The tabs on the back of the part are the hinge retainers for the engine lid.

584.jpg

The "Bomb" used the custom wheel from the kit, but this model needs a stock steering wheel. The only correct steering wheel in my parts box had a badly broken rim, so I had to fix that. On the right it the wheel from the donor kit - right diameter, wrong center section...

585.jpg

... Solution: Graft the wheel rim to the spokes of the 1965 wheel. First, I cut the rim carefully from the donor part and removed the partial rim from the '65 part. Then, after smoothing the new rim, I carefully filed reliefs into the faces at the ends of the spokes of the old-style wheel center so that the glue would have the right contour to bond the pieces together.

586.jpg

Voila! A new, usable 1965 Corvair steering wheel!

Actually I was referring to the paint scheme concept, different numbers but the same general idea. I will also use different wheels (alum mag. type to be selected) and wider tires instead of the kit wires and skinnies. I haven't yet checked the suspension detail but some lowering will also be in order.

If you need a new home for the "Kit wires and skinnies" let me know. I think they'd look great on an upcoming "High-End Luxury" concept Corvair model I've been thinking about. :lol:

If you need a new home for the "Kit wires and skinnies" let me know. I think they'd look great on an upcoming "High-End Luxury" concept Corvair model I've been thinking about. B)

Send me a PM with your address Jim and I'll get them to you in the mail as soon as our mail strike(!) is over.

Tony.

Count me in, '69 Charger with 426 Hemi. Blue with white vinyl top and interior. I have two Chargers that have bit the dirt so if something becomes broken I can always go to the other! :huh: That's the purpose right?

Edited by Mississippi Resins

I wanted the engine to stay pretty much the same, so I removed the 727 and shot it with a new coat of aluminum.

106_0288.jpg

I removed the grill from the Hemi car and gave it some paint touchup.

106_0290.jpg

When I first built the Hemi car I used a Morgan Automotive Detail pre-wired ditributer. Being as carful as I could I was able to remove it and clean it up. Here it is re-installed on the Hemi.

106_0293.jpg

I used the seats from the 440 car since they would require the minimal to clean up. Here they are ready for a coat of primer.

106_0292.jpg

I decided to use Magnum 500's on this car, so I dug around in my parts box and found a set. They will be in redline tires.

106_0291.jpg

I hope to have the body out of brake fluid tomorrow.

Enjoy!

The interior is coming along good.

106_0294.jpg

106_0296.jpg

I redid the console. This is a automatic car so I had to scratch up a shifter. It still needs its black knob.

106_0295.jpg

The completed Hemi. Pretty ain't she. My cat decided he was going to pay a visit to the desk and so happily gave my prewired dizzy to the carpet gremlins.

106_0297.jpg

The redline tires.

106_0298.jpg

The body is in need of another night in the brake fluid.

Enjoy!

:lol::unsure:

Guys I just want to say that I am so proud to see how this CBP is coming along. I am already amazed at some of the care that is going into these models. I feel like we're just a group of guys hanging out in garages, drinking beer and restoring classic cars.

Keep at it guys. I've been a little um.... preoccupied with my recent girlfriend so time in the hobby room has lessenned but as soon as i get some automotive filler and some PE supplies I'll begin building the body and posting pics.

Thanks again guys!

Guys I just want to say that I am so proud to see how this CBP is coming along. I am already amazed at some of the care that is going into these models. I feel like we're just a group of guys hanging out in garages, drinking beer and restoring classic cars.

Keep at it guys. I've been a little um.... preoccupied with my recent girlfriend so time in the hobby room has lessenned but as soon as i get some automotive filler and some PE supplies I'll begin building the body and posting pics.

Thanks again guys!

hey i know one vehicle ill be restoring! (hint: add 2 cbp)

ill be restoring a 1978 chevy stepside p/u i found it in a "barn" wearing no paint but there is absolutly no rust on it at all!

so ill be pending on when i get it to look at it closer but i think i may just polish the chrome out alittle and paint it some color and get the drivetrain up and running and work on the enterior alittle it should be show ready! soon i hope!!! ;)

Wow that 56 is insane I wanna cut one up now

Thanks for that, I'm hoping it turns out the way that I want. Go on then, do it, and get in here (provided it's a gluebomb 56). I was concerned even though the body was trashed before I started (this is my first time trying a lot of this stuff). I'm starting to see progress now and I'm really enjoying it.

There are some great resto's and projects going on here, can't wait to see more join, and more pics of the rebuilds. Hope we all keep at it and get these things finished.

Time for the next installment in the restoration of my '65 Corvair annual:

578.jpg

She's got her first coat of primer over the grafted section, with the putty work close to done. This shot shows how I went about adding the wheel lip molding that AMT somehow forgot abourt when they made the molds for their 1965-'69 Corvairs. It's not hard to do it this way; DEFINITELY easier than scribing in the line!

577.jpg

A guide coat for the grafted-in section.

576.jpg

Same thing from the other side.

558.jpg

This guide coat shows that I still have some work to do on the roof. Seems Junior was a little glue-happy when it came to installing the glass...

556.jpg

FINALLY! The final guide coat shows that she's mostly ready for a proper coat of primer... but...

581.jpg

... It seems that when I was scribing the window reveal moldings to make them easier to foil later on, my knife went clear through the plastic in a couple of places, including knocking a chunk out of the air inlet grille entirely! (Look at the left side of the base of the window and you can see the patch I had to make. Yes, there were some choice words in the air then!)

(Sorry this one's out of focus. I guess I was trying to get TOO close!)

582.jpg

Well, with a lot of finesse I was able to fix the problem. Here the repaired areas are puttied in, and I've installed the engine lid gutter. Also notice how the tail panel has been reconfigured inside to conform to the 1:1 car. I thinned it down to a closer-to-scale thickness and changed the contour to the proper curvature around the license plate pocket and added the inset for the latch.

Here's my progress so far.

I know it looks rough, but the idea in my head looks amazing.

SAM_0506.jpg

SAM_0505.jpg

I'm working on a glass bonnet so you can see the big hemi I'm sticking under there. body work will begin as soon as I get some more supplies.