Model Cars Magazine Forum

The GLUE BOMB Invitational.

DiscoSpud

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got a chance to give the old '66 Riviera some attention. After a soak & scrub with some Dawn Power Dissolver, all that old blue paint and lowrider decals came off the body and interior. Sanded the body, shot some primer, wet sanded, shot it with primer again and finished it up with a nice coat of DupliColor Perfect Match Toyota Stellar Blue Pearl. Taped off a Camaro style fender stripe on both sides and shot it with GM Platinum Grey Metallic (also Duplicolor Perfect Match). It still needs to be polished out good, and after I add BMF it will be shot with clear and polished again. It will be like glass when I'm done. I'm contemplating adding a platinum stripe to the hood as well, but I'm not sure. I just need to make up my mind about it LOL. The paint is formulated for use on 1:1 cars, so the metallic specs are a bit out of scale and it looks a bit rough or textured in the pics. The orange peel will be taken care of with polishing. I love the Stellar Blue, it is a beautiful dark blue/purple color and once it is finally done I think it will be one of my favorite builds :D

IMG_1632.jpgIMG_1630.jpgIMG_1636.jpg

Nice looking cars being done here. I'm liking that blue mb_chargerchick and the blue on that charger Mississippi Resins. It really suits the charger.

Been away from the bench for a while, only got a minor update. Made some mods to the rear window. The top now sits higher and I've trimmed down the sides a bit as well. Stuffed up a panel line for the vent window, so I have to put in more putty and more sanding afterwards. Would love to put this thing in primer soon to see how much more putty and sanding I still have to go.

The engine in the background will be going into this car, but not in those colours. It's from a 93 (ish) corvette.

21072011524.jpg

21072011525.jpg

Roger- I actually have one of those kits (Okey Spaulding era reissue) and it includes steps on converting the kit into a pickup AND four-door sedan. Not sure how I'm going to build mine just yet.

Cranky- Taking a nasty, disgusting glue bomb and turning it into a thing of beauty? Way better feeling than starting with a fresh kit.

Cranky- Taking a nasty, disgusting glue bomb and turning it into a thing of beauty? Way better feeling than starting with a fresh kit.

I'll second that. I really enjoy rebuilding old glue bombs. Dan

I'm with you guys. I'm sure that I've rebuilt more Glue Bombs over the past few years than I've built new kits. There's a certain satisfaction out of building a model that looks good from something some kid screwed up 40-50 years ago. Besides, it's a relatively inexpensive way to add some annuals to my collection that I wouldn't be able to afford any other way.

I'm in with a Johan 1970 Olds Toronado. This is actually an older restoration that I documented with film but never posted anywhere. I'll add photos as I get them scanned.

I found this at a show in a vendor bin labeled "Free" It was the end of the day and the remains of the picked over box were going to get tossed. The story goes it was built by a handicapped person who built models as therapy. No paint but the glue was abominable. This is what I started with. It was clear the chassis was ruined and the 1970 Cadillac Eldorado would have to donate running gear and engine. A club member helped out with the missing chrome. The interior wasn't bad but it was incomplete. Surprisingly, there was no glue at all on the glass, in fact it wasn't even glued in.

By the time I decided to take photos I'd already sanded and smoothed many of the glue blobs from the body as you can see by the scuffs.

Right-Front-1.jpg

Right-Rear-1.jpg

The engine was missing parts and was glued in sideways. It was bonded to the chassis with so much glue there was little detail left at the base and trying to remove it would destroy the whole area.

Top-Front-Engine.jpg

Great gobs of glue mixed with paper towel created a sort of putty. I'm clueless to what was trying to be accomplished.

Under-Engine-Right.jpg

Front-Unrestored1.jpg

Wow. Workable, but a bit rough! Sort of reminds me of a Berretta glue bomb I bought years ago, which had obviously been built by a young kid. Looked like the engine had been 'welded' together with a cigarette lighter! Takes a LOT of tube glue to melt an assembled engine block, but it happened.

Glue buildup on the rocker panels was so dense I couldn't determine where the body ended and the frame began. I needed to guess at its proper contour by measuring the thickness of the plastic as I cut.

Bottom-Right-Cut-Off.jpg

Bottom-Front1.jpg

I smoothed the hardened fingerprints, a dozen glue drops on fenders and doors and the cut area first with used 180, 220 and 360 grit sandpaper. I like the efficiency of the course grit but sandpaaper that's used doesn't leave the deep gashes the new, sharp sandpaper does. Low spots created by warpage from heavy glue were filled with Testors contour putty.

Hood-Shows-Sanding.jpg

The seat was a write-off. There was no back and was glued so heavily at the front I broke the plastic of the interior floor trying to get it out. At least I was able to salvage the interior bucket.

Seat-Old-Front.jpg

Seat-Old-Back.jpg

The Eldorado seat would have to be used but the Eldo has a taller roof and the seats wouldn't fit into the Toro so I had to cut off the headrests and fill the gap with Evergreen. I also had to sand off some of the base to get it to sit down a little too.

Caddy-Seat-Trimmed.jpg

Caddy-Seat-Finished.jpg

That's funny Mike,I saw two of those photos of that car on the search I was doing just today! My first thought was "Hey there's my model!" Since you owned the real deal, you can answer a question for me. Were the inner fenders,shock towers and firewall originally body color? That was the first thing I noticed under the hood. I thought they were all painted black. I also see that I screwed up by filling in the front of the fenders and bottom of the hood to make them meet the top of the grille. Your photos are the only ones I've seen that showed the open area above the grille. I may just fake it with some black paint. If you have any other photos,I would really appreciate it if you would post them. Especially concerning the interior. Thanx for the photos you posted!

Hey all,

Where do I sign up?? I have lots of Glue Bombs :o

Currently I'm working on a Monogram 24th scale Duesenberg. Rough shape, but salvagable.

I also have an MPC 1967 Bonneville, that is a complete basket case. Just ordered some replacement parts from Modelhaus this morning....

As soon as I can get a camera, I will post pics :o

Cheers, Ian

That's funny Mike,I saw two of those photos of that car on the search I was doing just today! My first thought was "Hey there's my model!" Since you owned the real deal, you can answer a question for me. Were the inner fenders,shock towers and firewall originally body color? That was the first thing I noticed under the hood. I thought they were all painted black. I also see that I screwed up by filling in the front of the fenders and bottom of the hood to make them meet the top of the grille. Your photos are the only ones I've seen that showed the open area above the grille. I may just fake it with some black paint. If you have any other photos,I would really appreciate it if you would post them. Especially concerning the interior. Thanx for the photos you posted!

Roger, I built it for a young hipster couple who had just bought it, and felt it was too slow and too hard to drive with the original bolt-action 6 banger. They had a non-synchro first gear, which was a pain. Originally, I was just going to put a C4 in it, but one thing led to another. It started out as a mint 1 owner 55K mile car, with perfect original paint and interior.

Stock:

61Comet1-1.jpg

The only interior pic I have shows the seat covered with a swanky leopard print cover that they put there to protect the upholstery.

61Comet5.jpg

1960-1962 Falcons and Comets all had body color engine bays with black core support, '63-up had all semi gloss black. Better engine bay pic:

61Comet12-1.jpg

Master cylinder area:

61cometMC-1.jpg

I found a nice pair of oval chrome tips for the duals which tied in nicely with the cat-eye taillights and matched the fuel and temp gauge surrounds in the dash cluster. The owners were pleased.

61Comet13.jpg

I own a slammed hot rod '60 Comet 2dr wagon that's had most of the same things done to it. Your model is coming along great, if you need to know any detail, no matter how obscure, ask away!

-Mike

Thanx a lot Mike! Those photos and info help me out a ton. Looks like I got the interior painted right anyway. I just need to go back and paint the underhood body color which will be a lot easier than black. I saw that photo of the stocker on my search also. I was looking for a shot of the rear of the car to see if the gas cap was chrome or not. I saw some with a chrome cap and backup lights and some without. I guess the chrome cap and backup lights came with the S-22? Is the instrument cluster black background with white numbers? Looks like there is a chrome strip across the dash? I will admit that I am leaning toward the Cragars right now,but that can still change. I change them back and forth on every build I do unless I happen to build a model for the wheels I have. It could have something completely different by the time I finish this thing.

Thanx a lot Mike! Those photos and info help me out a ton. Looks like I got the interior painted right anyway. I just need to go back and paint the underhood body color which will be a lot easier than black. I saw that photo of the stocker on my search also. I was looking for a shot of the rear of the car to see if the gas cap was chrome or not. I saw some with a chrome cap and backup lights and some without. I guess the chrome cap and backup lights came with the S-22? Is the instrument cluster black background with white numbers? Looks like there is a chrome strip across the dash? I will admit that I am leaning toward the Cragars right now,but that can still change. I change them back and forth on every build I do unless I happen to build a model for the wheels I have. It could have something completely different by the time I finish this thing.

Roger, all '60-'61s came with the body color "pie crust" gas cap, the '62 and '63s came with the ribbed stainless cap to match the rear trim panel, or the "Mercury Man" cap on '63 deluxe, non S-22s. But that cap finds it's way on earlier Comets because it's cool, so open interpretation on that one. Backup lights were optional on all models, including the S-22. Instrument cluster is nearly all chrome, here is a pic of my wagon, same as '61 except the glove box emblem. I two toned my wheel, stock is black on base models, white on deluxe and S-22.

13020107.jpg

All trim levels got the stainless strip across the top of the dash whether they got the dash pad or not. Cragars look great, the red open steelies were the customers' choice and I thought they were rather plain with no caps on the plain-jane car. But he wanted to show off the five lug conversion, I suppose to those who knew that all Falcons and Comets to mid '63 were 6cyl/4lug. I don't think that too many know that today, so Cragars are still suitably sleeperish.

-Mike