Model Cars Magazine Forum

69 Charger

Rob McKee

As a newbie on this forum I have to send a general thank-you to everyone. I have been building for many years but I lost my mojo some time ago and have not been motivated to get a model on the bench. Also, I have picked up some great tips and just love pouring over the on the bench and completed photos.

So it is my turn to contribute.

I started this 69 Charger last week. I am moving along slowly even though most of the kit has been built straight OOB. I raided my parts box for the wheels and tires and ordered a MCG detail set but with the Canada Post strike it maybe a long time before I see it.

So here are a couple of shots of the build.

P1013666.jpg

P1013666.jpg

Rob

Guest Sickfish

Great to see you've got your mojo back Rob & even better that it's back building 1 of Ma' Mopars finest 

Just a tip, pay attention to the front spindles, they're a little too tall & will need trimming to get a flatter stance  Best thing, which I've done many times with this problem, is to snip the ends off the spindles & drill through top-bottom & replace with wire/styrene tubing 

Cheers & enjoy the build mate, Cliffo 

So what are we dealing with here? Young kids car with 440? No. Can't be. We should stuff a Hemi in it. :lol: Looks good so far! Color choice yet? What color vinyl top?

Ah yes, a Hemi would be a good choice ,however I have decided to go with the 440 instead. I wish I had one of these when I was in my teens, or even now for that matter.

I am think yellow with black top, but I am not 100% yet.

Suggestions on color?

Great to see you've got your mojo back Rob & even better that it's back building 1 of Ma' Mopars finest 

Just a tip, pay attention to the front spindles, they're a little too tall & will need trimming to get a flatter stance  Best thing, which I've done many times with this problem, is to snip the ends off the spindles & drill through top-bottom & replace with wire/styrene tubing 

Cheers & enjoy the build mate, Cliffo 

Thanks Cliff,

I see what you mean by the spindles being an issue. The wheels I chose won't work on either the front or back spindals of the Charger so I'll have to do a little scratch building on them. I just hope I can get them to level out; I haven't done this before.

Rob

Guest Sickfish

Thanks Cliff,

I see what you mean by the spindles being an issue. The wheels I chose won't work on either the front or back spindals of the Charger so I'll have to do a little scratch building on them. I just hope I can get them to level out; I haven't done this before.

Rob

Rob it's an easy fix mate, just get the stance you want for the charger ( using the wheels ) then snip off as much or as little as you want off the spindles length. Then make it taller, so the wheel sits higher ( closer/under wheel well ) add either styrene rod or nice firm wire to replace the tips so they line up into the A-arms 

Cheers Cliffo 

• 2 weeks later...

It's been a couple of weeks since I first posted this thread so I thought it is due time to update it.

I have made some progress on the car. I put 7 coats of Tamiya yellow on the body sanding after the 3rd coat. I let the paint sit for 1 week until I masked and added the vinyl roof. I used Krylon Satin Black from a spray bomb for the roof.

I still have to finish the front suspension however I think I have the rear setup well. I am open to comments and pointers. I used the disc brake setup from a Revell 57 Chevy custom kit as well as the wheels were donated by the same kit.

Engine is at the stage to add details. With the Canada Post strike over now I can add the Photo etched details I just received.

Interior has been painted and flocked with a product I found at Micheals called flocking dust. It is much finer than the flock I have used in the past.

I am happy with the paint. I am not sure if I should polish it out or just leave it as it is. I have made the huge mistake of sanding through the paint in the past so I am a little gun shy to start on this one.

102_2426.jpg

102_2425.jpg

102_2423.jpg

Edited by Rob McKee

Guest Sickfish

Rob, look's great so far mate  As far as sanding/polishing goe's, it's your call, but all paint jobs, no matter how good you lay them down have a certain amount of orange peel, be it low/mild or high, and they'll alway's need some level of sanding/polishing, if you want that nice smooth paint. It sound's like you've given it enough layers of colour so what I'd do is give it a nice light wet-sand with 2000 -4000 grit then hit it with 3-4 layers clear coat, wet sand that out, throw any decals on & let dry for 24hrs then hit it again with another 2-3 layers of clear. Repeat wet-sand ( carefully ) with 4000-6000 & then polish it out  Depending on what type of paint, enamel/acrylic/lacquer you've used, dictate's what type of polish to use. Tamiya compound polishe's for enamel/acrylic & 1:1 automotive polishes for Lacquers, as they are less sensitive & can handle auto' polishes.

Anyway good luck mate & hope to see this puppy finished soon 

Cheers Cliffo 

Thanks for the nice comments.

Cliff, I think I will take your advice and move forward with polishing and clearcoating. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

It is great to be back into building again!

Rob