Model Cars Magazine Forum

A couple iconic cars that need better model versions

I agree with charlie, I would also like to see someone retool or reissue the '69 to '72 Grand Prix.

I would also like to see the early '60s Johan Mopars come back. I love those old Chrysler/Desoto led sleds :)

While we are on the subject of Pontiacs, how about reissuing/retooling all those old 1960's Bonnevilles/2+2/Grand Prixs/Catalinas etc, etc

I just love big cars... :D

Cheers, Ian

Here is a few I'd like to see

Some 60's Ponchos

66bonne4sp3.jpg

right_front6522.jpg

leftfront.jpg

1965Pontiac22_68.jpg

I'd like to see some kits with different options, such as this style of hubcaps

Pontiachubcap.jpg

And a 1958 Parisienne beauty that I would love to see in kit form

1958_Pontiac_Parisienne.jpg

There are so many more Pontiacs that are missing in kit form, this is only a small sampling that could be :)

Cheers, Ian

Edited by imatt88

yeah i recogonize the logo! heres the site...

http://www.testors.com/

I don't think Testors did it orginally. I vaugly remember that symbol on the tree: Esci maybe.. Bandi something like that.

I think Entex.

There is a better Pantera kit though, by Mauri.

Edited by CAL

I don't think Testors did it orginally. I vaugly remember that symbol on the tree: Esci maybe.. Bandi something like that.

I think Entex.

There is a better Pantera kit though, by Mauri.

maybe PACTRA???

heck i dont know but testors is the logo on the instructions sheet that you have a pic of!

maybe PACTRA???

heck i dont know but testors is the logo on the instructions sheet that you have a pic of!

Yeah, but Testors mostly just reboxed kits and didn't many of their own.

Edited by CAL

GREAT POINT!

i know revell and testors and italeri models rebox's each others stuff all the time! B)

I think every Testors kit I own has either a Fujimi or MPC kit inside the box.

i say one that needs repopped is the 78 chev stepside p/u kit cause heres an mib kit going for almost if not more than 200 dollars usd!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MPC-1978-CHEVY-STEPSIDE-PICKUP-TRUCK-MODEL-KIT-MINT-NIB-/230631729261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2b8e86d#ht_5267wt_905

now the only other one i saw was one that was a built up on ebay that just sold for less than a 20 dollar bill usd and the winner was me!

;)

i dont remember fujimi or mpc in testors box's at all! mmmmmm.... ;)

Testors has redone a kit or two from almost every manufacture at one time or another doesn't anyone remember the Testors reissue of the Pocher Ferrari Testarossa Spyder?

I think every Testors kit I own has either a Fujimi or MPC kit inside the box.

I don't know about MPC but I know Testors has boxed quite a few Italeri, Hawk and Fujimi kits.

i say one that needs repopped is the 78 chev stepside p/u kit cause heres an mib kit going for almost if not more than 200 dollars usd!

http://cgi.ebay.com/MPC-1978-CHEVY-STEPSIDE-PICKUP-TRUCK-MODEL-KIT-MINT-NIB-/230631729261?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b2b8e86d#ht_5267wt_905

now the only other one i saw was one that was a built up on ebay that just sold for less than a 20 dollar bill usd and the winner was me!

;)

I picked up one of those at NNL west a few years ago. It was in a bag but complete, who knew the box was worth $190. :P

Edited by Aaronw

I don't know about MPC but I know Testors has boxed quite a few Italeri, Hawk and Fujimi kits.

I picked up one of those at NNL west a few years ago. It was in a bag but complete, who knew the box was worth $190. :P

yeah i just picked up built version for 20 dollar bill compared to an unbuilt evilbay price of 200 dollars! ;)

Edited by bandit1

Here's a list I posted a while back of models that should be tooled up .

1971 Mustang Boss 351

The existing kit of this is far from accurate and takes quite a bit of effort to get even a good looking shelf model out of it.

Alfa Romeo Duetto (the car from "The Graduate")

Why there has never been a popular scale kit of this car puzzles me It was in production for decades and is possibly the most beautiful if the 60's small sports roadsters

1929 Ford Roadster. coupe and sedan.

This would be the logical next step for Revell to follow up thier great success with the 1932 Fords.

1957 Chevy Nomad

do we really need another 57 chevy? Yes at least 3 more. include parts to do Sam Hollingswoth's custom with an optional tuck & roll interior, bucket seats skylark wire wheels and decals and you have a winner!

1957 Chevy Convertible

Give this one a 2 4bbl set up for Revells already great small block and a nice set of chrome reverse wheels.

1957 Chevy Sedan delivery

Add optional gasser parts and a big block that would be adaptable to the other 57s in Revels range and you have a hot hot seller

Revell 1970 Ford Torino released as a special edition

Add all the optional parts from the Pro Modeler GT kit and you have a sweet 2n1

1972 Ford Gran Torino

Give it some pro-touring options and a full sheet of decals to do multiple paint schemes

1975 Ford Gran Torino

Can you say "Starsky & Hutch?

1970 Mustang Convertible

Make this one a base model with an inline six and poverty caps. sure not many convertibles were ordered this way but they are pretty much the only trim package that hasn't been done yet.

1967 Mercury Cougar

Who wouldn't love a new tool of this? add some period mag wheels and perhaps a two 4bbl option

1965-66 Mustang coupe

Based on Revell's decent fastback/shelby/convertible model. throw in a paxton set up as an option and maybe some vintage drag parts

1965 Ford Galaxie

make it buildable stock, but load te box with enough period Nascar parts that people will buy it just for those.

Shelby 289 Cobra

With optional dragonsnake parts

Shelby 289 Cobra FIA

can use most of the tooling of the street car

Shelby Cobra Daytona Coupe

No explanation needed.

1963 Corvette zo6 coupe

With street and racing parts, based on Revell's excellent 1967 kit

1963 Corvette Roadster

Done as a non-zo6 car so wee can kit bash with the coupe.

1968 Chevelle SS 396 hardtop

add some period street machine parts

1968 Chevelle convertible non-SS small block

add some different S/M parts and we can kitbash with the coupe.

1970 Pontiac GTO Judge

with S/M parts and srtipes to go with different stock colors

1970 pontiac Lemans convertible

You could kitbash this with the GTO to make a Lemans coupe or a GTO convertible

1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible

Based on Revell's excellent 1966 GTO Coupe

1948 Ford Coupe Stock roof

Add parts to make a 48 merc out of it too.

Divco Milk Truck

give it a load of milk bottles and crates as well as a load of street machine parts.

1963 Buick Riviera

Throw in some 60's custom parts and a how-to booklet on custom paint techniques

1971 Buick Riviera GS Boattail

Some 70's lowrider accessories would be welcome here

1969 Buick GS 400

could be based on the 72 Olds tooling

1963 Checker A11

W/ taxi parts and some cool street machine parts.

1966 Chevy Suburban

Based on Revell's 1966 pick-up. Includs some outdoors accessories like a tent and canoe

1965 Pontiac GTO Convertible

The current MPC/AMT kit is a joke. this would be a welcome replacement

1965 GTO Coupe

Add some period drag parts or modern street machine parts

1969 Dodge Charger 500

Could be based on the current Revell tooling

1946 Merc Sprtsman Convertible

Can be based on revell's 48 Ford, it's the extremely rare woody bodied convertible

1970 Olds Cutlass Rallye 350 hardtop

Could be based on Revells 1972 Cutlass convertible

1983 Hurst/Olds

Add some optional pro touring parts and this would be a big hit

1954 Packard carribean

This would be a nice one for mobius to do

1969 Pontiac Trans AM Coupe

Could be based on Revells excellent 1969 Camaro tooling

1969 Pontiac firebird convertible

same as above but could be used to kit bash the very rare 1969 T/A convertible

1972 Pontiac Grand Prix Hurst SSJ

Could also be based on the 1972 Olds chassis, this was a stylish muscle car and would look great next to the hurst olds.

1957-63 Imperials.

I know, I know, the first 'existing' tool is the 1958, but please!

All Jo-Han Cadillacs. First and foremost, the '59 Sixty Special.

The AMT 57 300-C could be the base of many spin-offs. I'm surprised that the resin guys are not jumping on that one more.

Why there has never been a popular scale kit of this car puzzles me It was in production for decades and is possibly the most beautiful if the 60's small sports roadsters"

Having owned a 1:1, there is probably no kit because it would fall to pieces. :blink:

Why there has never been a popular scale kit of this car puzzles me It was in production for decades and is possibly the most beautiful if the 60's small sports roadsters"

Having owned a 1:1, there is probably no kit because it would fall to pieces. ;)

I know who owns the actual car from the movie.

Funny how this thread evolved...devolved...?? from the subject of "iconic cars" that need "better model versions" into another "oh, this must be the submit my list of models not on the market but should be" lists ;)

Not that there haven't been hundreds of those threads spread out on the many forums, it is interesting to see how people think/don't think/react/read/don't read the original post or replies, and how far astray they go, so often...just an observation...:D

I'm surprised every forum doesn't have a devoted thread to "I want to see (a) model(s) of X" thread...but then again, if they did, people would ignore it, and start new threads all the time, or derail other threads with lists...

Hey...I'd call the Falcon, Nova and Pontiac icons. Certainly not the '79 Monte Carlo though, so you got me there!

I guess I have to disagree on what constitutes "iconic" subjects. Trumpeter kits so far range from esoteric to slightly-above-mainstream...and I also don't think any of them are worthy of being done by other companies. Not that a car needs to be iconic to be made into a model, but I'd say Trumpeter has taken care of those particular subjects regardless of their accuracy or value per $.

Edited by Zoom Zoom

The reason I think the Pantera might be a Gunze kit is that, IIRC, it came about the same time as the Charlie Kemp Mustang, which was a Gunze offering.

Both versions of Pantera from Testors were reboxed Gunze kit. I had built the Gunze versions when I was a kid.

It's probably too specialized to sell in significant enough numbers to warrant a new tool, but, I'd LOVE to see an all-new kit of the De Tomaso Pantera ... simply a beautiful sports car that has never been done proper justice in styrene.

I would imagine it'd prove popular with Motley Crue fans who've been wanting to build Vince Neill crash dioramas for all these years ... :P

And, hey, while we're at it, how 'bout a Mangusta, so we can build the "Kill Bill" movie car?

A full detail Pantera would be most cool. Fujimi did a high detail but no engine Pantera for $200. Ouch!! The Mauri Pantera kits were about the best early version but I would like to see an Xavier Jehle version!!