Model Cars Magazine Forum

A couple iconic cars that need better model versions

Funny how this thread evolved...devolved...?? from the subject of "iconic cars" that need "better model versions" into another "oh, this must be the submit my list of models not on the market but should be" lists :P

Not that there haven't been hundreds of those threads spread out on the many forums, it is interesting to see how people think/don't think/react/read/don't read the original post or replies, and how far astray they go, so often...just an observation...:lol:

I'm surprised every forum doesn't have a devoted thread to "I want to see (a) model(s) of X" thread...but then again, if they did, people would ignore it, and start new threads all the time, or derail other threads with lists...

I would say that most of my list is comprised of cars that have been tooled before, with a few exceptions. whether they are Iconic is up to the reader i guess.

I guess I have to disagree on what constitutes "iconic" subjects. Trumpeter kits so far range from esoteric to slightly-above-mainstream...and I also don't think any of them are worthy of being done by other companies. Not that a car needs to be iconic to be made into a model, but I'd say Trumpeter has taken care of those particular subjects regardless of their accuracy or value per $.

I guess an iconic car would be a single car that stood as the symbol or "icon" of a group of cars.

All that said, personally I'm just glad that Trumpeter didn't do a Pantera and ruin the chances we'd get a good one. Heck, even though I have several, it'd be nice just to see the Marui kit make a comeback! :P

That could be the basis of an entire thread...models that we don't want Trumpeter to make :D

I'll start with the most obvious. '70 Hemi Cuda (and that fits the subject of this thread ;) )

That could be the basis of an entire thread...models that we don't want Trumpeter to make :D

I'll start with the most obvious. '70 Hemi Cuda (and that fits the subject of this thread :P )

Do we want to them to do any model cars?

They did okay, just okay, with airplanes but that was only after everyone under the sun beat them up about them.

I'd like to see better model versions from:

'73 CHEVROLET VEGA- somekind of promo has been made from it, but the quality isn't good. I mean, the body might be good, but all of the axles etc. are molded to chassis... Great car, and great basis for many projects...

'76 CHEVROLET MONZA / BUICK SKYHAWK- AMT's version seems to be the best one, but anyway, it would be great to see one with new tooling and with some great, sharp parts. '76 is that why, because there is no model kit from '79 model Skyhawk, which is looking better, I think.

'60 CHEVROLET EL CAMINO- Very nice body shaping on that, and '60 Impalas, or Nomads etc are looking very good. It would be great to have one, better than the old AMT. That would be great basis for customizing, or building Old School race car...

AMC MATADOR- AMT has made one, but I'd like to see one, like Revell's "Special Edition"- quality. I would buy that kit very surely. Great car, and unusual subject. Would be very great to build one.

'69 AMC AMX, and '73 AMC JAVELIN- Johan has made both of them, but I'm getting bored of making modifications to those.Chassis is very bad in both kits, same does the interior and engine bay. Engine isn't good too. Javelin also has a wrong taillight panel, which must be corrected.

'69 RAMBLER AMERICAN- Johan has made one, but the quality isn't too great. There are lots of things to do better, to make it look realistic. That's also very great basis for many kind of projects.

'73 FORD MUSTANG- Very great car, and used alot in Drag Racing. I would be very happy to have one good quality kit of it. MPC's Firefighter Mustang is quite poor, so it would be great to have one.

I could continue this list very much, but here are few examples. :unsure:

And a few more... :)

Oh yeah, and Snoop Dog's '66 lowrider..How cool is this? :)

snoop-dogg-1967-pontiac-parisienne.jpg

Cheers, Ian

That's the ticket to an all new full size Bonnie.....but then licensing probably would be a great pain...so holding on, on both my '66 Poncho anuals

Edited by Luc Janssens

I would love to see Revell bring out a ' 65 Plymouth Belvedere . A 2 in 1 drag / stock kit would be an excellent addition to their line . Combine this kit with a little help from Slixx decals and the possibilities are endless !

I too would love to see a new ' Cuda . A ' new release of a ' 69 and of coarse a ' 70 thru ' 72 would be a given ! One can only dream !

I haven't see any mentions in this thread of iconic race cars that deserve better representation in scale, but here are a couple I think definitely do ... the famous NASCAR "winged things," the Plymouth Superbird and the Dodge Charger Daytona.

MPC's '70s kits of those cars were nothing to write home about at all, and, while Revell offers excellent kits of the road-going versions of both vehicles, it takes a TON of work to convert them to NASCAR spec.

I'm well aware that interest in NASCAR models has plummeted in recent years, but, interest in vintage subjects has remained fairly high. Of course, the recognition boost from the "The King" character in the first "Cars" movie wouldn't hurt.

If Revell was to take the plunge, I would think it could probably produce kits of both cars from the same basic tooling, just like it did with its recent '69 Charger funny car kits, with a bit of judicious planning. And, of course, there are numerous decal variants of both cars that could be offered in kit form. (Personally, I'd love to see, for starters, a Superbird 2-in-1 that could be built as either Richard Petty or Pete Hamilton's car.)

Probably too many licensing obstacles for this to ever occur, but, it would be great if it did!

I have always been confused by the lack of Trans-Am series versions of the various subjects, such as Sonoco Camaro, AAR 'cudas, Mustangs, the various Merc Cougars (I also think that a decent 67 Cougar kit is a great idea, since all we have is that funny car one), the AMX Javelins, I could go on...

O K , I thought bout dis , an I came up with an idea . Yes, I'm sure there are the usuals out there screaming, UH Oh ! Here ya go, Jo-han did both the 55 and the 56 Pontiac Starchief kits , well as promos with Green glass and no interior. How bout a full detail kit of either one , jus a thought ........ Ed Shaver

• 1 year later...

63 SplitWindow, 69 Chevelle, 66 GTO

You're screwed as far as the 'Vette goes. Your only options in 1/25 scale are the less-than-spectacular AMT kit and the Revell snap kit. I had hoped that Revell would produce a real model of this car, but somehow

Revell's brain trust determined that an iconic car that appeals mostly to adult males over 50 should be modeled as a 'tard toy, 'cuz we all know that the kids who know nothing about the real car will buy anything as long as it's a snap kit. Neither company will ever bother to retool their respective kits, so rob the other Revell C3s & improvise wherever you have to.

For being a simplistic, 2-metal-axle model, I've heard this kit has more than its share of ill-fitting parts etc. I'd love to see Revell take a shot at it, with a skill level equivalent to, say, their '69 Nova.

I wonder if you meant the MPC '67 GTO. It's an absolute turd on stilts compared to Revell's '66 Goat. Not that you asked, but I don't think anyone's happy with AMT's '65 GTO either.

Edited by Monty

AMT's 65 Goat is terrible,well, unless your building a convertible that is! The one i have been building to replicate my mom's car has been primered at least 5 times, with endless putty used to fill the terrible gaps that you are left with when you mount the roof. A new hardtop ONLY kit with full detail(no holes in engine, separate rear ends/exhaust,etc). would be VERY nice.I told my mom if she ever wanted another one, that i'd be converting RM's 64 into a 65.

I have always been confused by the lack of Trans-Am series versions of the various subjects, such as Sonoco Camaro, AAR 'cudas, Mustangs, the various Merc Cougars (I also think that a decent 67 Cougar kit is a great idea, since all we have is that funny car one), the AMX Javelins, I could go on...

Very good point on the TA cars. Perhaps the reason being, is that all of them save perhaps the Cougar, require flared wheel arches. Some os these are very subtle. Others like the 70 1/2 Camaro and the 70 Firebird are not so subtle. I'd love it if they would do a TA version of the excellent Revell 88 Firebird. That would require no body mods. Same with a TA version of the 67/68 Camaro and Mustang, though the latter would have to be a coupe.

Now that we're talking about racing vehicles, how about a proper full detail 1/24th Lola T70 and Chaparral 2E? The old IMC kits are great, but are in the wrong scale, no longer available and very fiddly to build. And there are a host of Ferrari's that need proper versions to replace curbside or questionable versions such as the Protar GTO. And Lotus......11, 23, 30, 40, racing version of the Esprit S300. That one I never understood why Revellogram never did. It would be very easy to convert the kit that was available to the IMSA Bridgestone Potenza Super car, roll cage, seat, decals....... But I am slightly off topic with that one.

I am the simple sort. Just a 1/24 68 Mustang convertible, 1/25 70 GTO convertible and any american road racers from the 60/70s.

joe.

I agree whole Heartedly about the American road racers from the 60;s and 70's. There are a bunch that were either poorly done or not at all.

I also love it when someone pokes an old thread with a stick !

Please forgive my list for its potential redundancies :

- 1973-1976 Duster / Dart Sport . While the ol' MPC annuals are nice , they could also use an upgrade.

- 1967 Camaro . How nice would it be to see a , say , Revell version ! Would be nice to see both a small block and a big block , and vintage equipment ( Bill Thomas decals ; Motion decals ; Stinger hood ).

- 1970 Dart Swinger . Can't get more iconic than the affordable Junior Supercar 340-powered Dart ! For whatever reason(s) this kit has been largely ignored since day one ! Yes , a resin trans-kit is available ; but no correct , stock interior is available (!!) ; then there's the Ramchargers' Funny Car as well as the Charlie Allen L.A. Dart exhibition version ; but NO stock versions !

Again , Revell gets the nod .

- 1978 Monaco / Fury . The iconic B-Body versions of 1975-1978 . A 1977 could be represented as well ( so long as the tail lights are Moulded.Clear. !). A real version of this car would be a World Class seller ! NO goofy deep-dish wheels and steamroller tyres , either !

That's all for now :)