Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Chevy Dually, gooseneck trailer,'29 Model A, AND camper trailer project.

Well... truck is finished...

wrecker008-vi.jpg

wrecker009-vi.jpg

And started work on the trailer. It's basically a glue bomb AMT tandem car hauler- I made up some new sides for it, added some wheels from the Revell '37 Ford pickup 2 in 1 kit, and scratchbuilt a gooseneck to fit the Chevy. Still not done, but basically there. I'll be tackling the rest of the trailer next, and of course there's the question of what I'm going to put on the trailer... B)

wrecker010-vi.jpg

Man.......I like this Chuck......make it a hayride with shiny happy people on the trailer.

Or a bunch of beauty queens.

Cheerleaders would be nice too.

In a wholesome, family oriented way. (man..... :) )

Because I don't want to offer a bad comment or offend.

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure if the Corvair-mutant thingie will still be what ends up on the trailer. Sheesh, I'm still not sure if I'll go ahead and do a tri-axle, two car hauler like I've been thinking I should!

I'm thinking something really nutty for the trailer load- like a nutty, over the top, so-in your face machine that could only be trailered if it were 1:1. Rat rod trailer queen, in other words! Any suggestions/thought would be helpful!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, this 'quick little warmup' has turned out to be anything but- the truck is done, the trailer is stalled, and I'm not sure if I want ot build someting specifically for the trailer queen or use it to display some existing models. I'm toying with the idea of making a chopped fifth wheel camper or 'toy hauler' to hook up to the truck.ratrod1-vi.jpg

Something like this, only a fifth-wheel model. Whadya think?

• 5 weeks later...

Yeah- this one has pretty much stalled for the time being. The truck (technically I guess it would be a tractor in this case) is done, the trailer is about 90%, but I'm still leaning more toward a camper trailer now. There will be four feet of snow on the ground here pretty shortly and I'll have lots of indoor time- I guess we'll see if I make any more progress on this thing!

• 1 month later...

Well, it is merely just creeping along at this point. Did knock the dust off the truck and trailer, and dug out a chassis to plop down on the trailer. Not sure if this chassis will end up on the trailer or not, but I'm thinking the trailer load will end up being either an abandoned junker on its way to the shop for restoration or on its way to the junkyard to be scrapped. That, or an 'in progress' hot rod that's basically a stripped frame and a body. I guess we'll see. And I'm thinking of getting started on the proposed camper trailer, as soon as I gather up all the furnishings for the inside.

RATS003-vi.jpg

RATS004-vi.jpg

The frame is a '29 Model A Ford front half, spliced to a Z'd '32 Chevy rear half. For the rear axle I used a Dodge Super Bee Dana 60, because that axle is also used in 3/4 and 1 ton truck applications with eight-bolt axles. The wheels are resin copies from the old MPC Dodge 4x4, and the tires are (I think) from an old 1:20 scale MPC Popcorn Wagon kit. Springs are '41 Chevy 1/2 ton truck units.

Settled on an idea for the trailer load.

WRECKER001-vi.jpg

WRECKER002-vi.jpg

It is a chopped '29 Model A cab on a modified '78 Ford Courier chassis. I built the chassis long ago, and it's just been sitting around for a project for at least a couple of years. It is made up mostly of spares, but I did copy some '63 Ford F-100 hubcaps to use on the wheels. I didn't care for the look of the IFS on a fenderless rod, so I cut off the stock front suspension and replaced it with a '30 Ford front axle and spring, and conjured up some hairpin radius rods and a side-steer setup with Pitman arm and drag link. The Farmall shell is the one I built up in MCM 154, I cut it down to work with the chassis and sit even with the cowl. This is about how the truck will always look- the doors and other loose parts will be set inside the cab. I'm thinking of using a Revell parts pack engine block, which has cylinders with pistons molded in. The heads, intake, and other such pieces will be crammed in the cab, or possibly in the bed, when/if I choose to install a bed.