Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hair spray weathering ...

I'm a total amateur at this as I have just tried it for the first time on some rims to get them in a semi-rusted condition. It seems like it's the acrylic top coat that does all the work. My understanding was that it was the hair spray that reacted to the water and loosened the top coat but it was the acrylic top coat that loosened with the water.

I started with some Floquil Roof Brown for a base coat. Then some Dull Coat and a layer of Hair Spray. All were given time to cure between coats. Since acrylic paint in a spray doesn't seem to exist, I used some Polly S Ivory brush painted for the top coat on my experimental rim. After about a half hour I scrubbed it with water and a stiff bristle brush (an old brush cut short). The acrylic loosened and even ran and smeared with the water. With less water and more scrubbing the effect came through looking good. But, it was ALL in the acrylic paint, not hairspray.

Does this all seem correct to those of you that have used this method? Maybe I can be enlightened on what point the hair spray really serves. Seems just the Dull Coat and no hair spray will give the same effect. I can't believe all the raves about this can't be because we've all been duped by the hair spray marketing people!

Edited by Foxer

The water loosens the hairspray thus dissolving and stripping the acrylic paint from the enamel base. A wet brush, some delicate scrubbing and you get this.

Exactly what I'm talking about. Wayne did a good job explaining this method, but again, acrylic paint is water based .. it dissolves in water! I don't get the need of hairspray.

I DO need to get some experiments going, I know, but the weather is going sunny again tomorrow! eheh

Edited by Foxer