Model Cars Magazine Forum

The Future is Now!

From John Stossel/Fox Business:

Nevada Legalizes Self-Driving Cars

By John Stossel Published June 25, 2011 | FoxNews.com

I reported earlier this year about a cool new technology: cars that drive themselves. Google already designed one, and it drove more than a thousand miles on public roads using just a computer chip and a sensor to detect other cars. It only crashed once, and in that case it was rear-ended while it was stopped at a red light.

So why can't you buy one yet? Because they're illegal. Outdated government rules in every state require a driver always to be in control of the wheel.

But today, Nevada – at Google's urging – became the first state to pass a bill that allows driverless cars. Wow--a government that actually repealed a law.

It could have a big impact. According to transportation expert Randal O'Toole, self-driving cars could safely drive close together at higher speeds, since computers have better reaction times than people. About 6,000 robot cars could drive on highways that currently supports 2,000 regular cars – and that means fewer traffic jams, less congestion and fewer idling cars wasting fuel.

We should stop wasting taxpayer money on high-speed rail and move to this cleaner, more convenient technology, that's just around the corner.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cars that can drive themselves! Good or bad? What do you think?

I personally think if you can drive and pay attention just fine, then you don't need a self driving car. BUT if you have crashed cars, don't pay attension, don't even like driving, or just suck at driving, then you better get yourself a self driving car. :P

I personally like driving and being in control of my vehicle. I myself worry more about other drivers then I do myself because I can tell what I'm going to do. But even with self driving cars. I think there WILL still be accidents.

Maybe it is a benefit though, you can have more build time! :lol:

i dont think thats going to happen ...

federal law overrides all state and local laws so if the state made that law and the federal gov't (COMMIES') if memory serves me correct the state made a law thats "illegal" due to the federal govt (COMMIES') have a law that most drivers have to be in control! :lol:

Interesting.

And why can't we cure cancer at the same time? There are plenty of resources to go around, it's the realm outside science and engineering that usually results in the waste and inefficiency.

This could be a lot safer for a lot of people- those who can't drive, particularly those not near public transportation. Those who shouldn't drive because of medical or other problems (like, as Jared said, "just suck at driving,") and the list goes on.

This promotes freedom for more people. I'll be interested to see where it goes.

Charlie Larkin

If driverless cars catch on, will you need a license to "drive" one? I mean, you'd basically be a passenger just sitting there. I wonder how they would deal with that question?

I could see a special endorsement being needed. I could also see a special license created for people who might not normally be able to drive, for example, my friend who has cerebral palsy probably will never be able to handle a regular car, despite his attempts at learning how to, but with this type of set-up, he might be required to take a special test that demonstrates to the Registry inspector that he can program the car properly. He'd then be given a restrictive-endorsement driver's license (e.g., along the lines of requiring glasses to drive,) and then could get around easier.

The possibilities are endless.

Charlie Larkin

this is just rediculous

what a waiste of money, technology and time

no wonder there is no cure for cancer

exactly! we are making them "researchers" millionaires cause what insentive do they have to finding a cure??? ... none... they keep getting paid millions just to search! ah reminds me... there is a cure but it will kill us anyways! think ...CLOROX!...! :lol::P

Very cool in my book. There are tons of times I wish my car would self drive. Iloine out west and trust me, there's no romance driving from Texas to Washington state.

Some interesting responses too. There are no federal laws regarding driving ( that I am aware of) as that is handled by state governments (and just because it's a government entity, that does not make it "commie") so there is no federal law conflict.

As for cancer and the worthiness of researching such a technology...

Driving is a very dangerous, deadly activity. Around 40,000 people die every year in auto accidents. Your chances of dying from an auto related accident are far greater than many other causes, so researching ways to make it safer and more efficient are excellent ways to allocate resources.

Edited by Coyotehybrids

Very cool in my book. There are tons of times I wish my car would self drive. Iloine out west and trust me, there's no romance driving from Texas to Washington state.

Some interesting responses too. There are no federal laws regarding driving ( that I am aware of) as that is handled by state governments (and just because it's a government entity, that does not make it "commie") so there is no federal law conflict.

Driving is a very dangerous, deadly activity. Around 40,000 people die every year in auto accidents. Your chances of dying from an auto related accident are far greater than many other causes, so researching ways to make it safer and more efficient are excellent ways to allocate resources.

and wasting money! that could be spent in better ways!

i was not reffering the federal govt. as "commies" in that way, i believe that our govt officals are corrupting america one piece at a time! thats why i call them "commies" cause i believe they are nothing but liars, theives, crooks, vandilist, mind controling idiots that we as americans elect to put in office cause there is no such thing as an honest politician but hey thats my two cents worth but what do i care no govt offical will listen to me!

I think it would be a good thing especially for the elderly drivers. My father is 85 years old and he surely doesn't have proper driving skills as very few people do of his age. I let him drive locally in our rural area,but there's no way I would let him drive in the bigger cities. Also,not all elderly people have a family member to drive them or have access/money for a taxi. When I was working,there were many times that I wished that my vehicle could could drive itself home for the hour and a half I was facing. I always had a hard time staying awake after work. There were several times that I believe I was "sleep driving" because I couldn't remember driving through certain areas. It would also be good for the drunk drivers out there. Just flop them into the car and punch in "home". :lol:

i believe that our govt officals are corrupting america one piece at a time! thats why i call them "commies" cause i believe they are nothing but liars, theives, crooks, vandilist, mind controling idiots that we as americans elect to put in office cause there is no such thing as an honest politician but hey thats my two cents worth but what do i care no govt offical will listen to me!

Hmmmmm... you sound like you'd be a lot happier living in a different country...

Hmmmmm... you sound like you'd be a lot happier living in a different country...

au contrare there is no better country then america right now... i know that even though our govt is becoming more "commie" like i am not afraid to stand up and defend this great nation that i love even though i done tried to get into the Air Force years ago and they never accepted me cause of my hearing! :lol:

yes but...untill they come up with a cure for cancer we need all the people who die in car crashed for organ donors

so untill they cure cancer there is no need to make driving safer :lol:

on a more serious note though, i dont care how safe you make cars, people will die

it is not a matter of preventing people from dying, its a matter of increasing the quality of life preceeding death

and dying of cancer is generally a lot more painfull and suffering then dying in a car crash

on a more serious note though, i dont care how safe you make cars, people will die

it is not a matter of preventing people from dying, its a matter of increasing the quality of life preceeding death

and dying of cancer is generally a lot more painfull and suffering then dying in a car crash

+1. Again. :lol:

And you can't keep the people from being stupid.

Hmmm, which do you trust ??? A computer driven car or a middle aged woman on her cell phone, yelling at the kids, drinking a Starbucks, and checking her makeup while driving a 2 1/2 ton SUV ??? I'll take my chances with the computer it can't get any worse out there.

Hmmm, which do you trust ??? A computer driven car or a middle aged woman on her cell phone, yelling at the kids, drinking a Starbucks, and checking her makeup while driving a 2 1/2 ton SUV ??? I'll take my chances with the computer it can't get any worse out there.

at least when the soccer mom runs you over you know it wasnt intenional (unless you were wearing a dallas cowboys yersey, then your free game)

now, a computer driven car...you know if it is computer driven the government will be able to hack it and use it as a weapon and they will do whatever thier bossesd at AOL tell them :lol:

didnt we learn anything from "class of 99" ?

I they go driverless, fine. Just don't take my right away to bang it down a few notches and blast past the drones riding in their appliances! I actually like to feel my car respond to my right foot!

Funny how the Gub'mt seems to like the idea of robot cars, yet just this week the city of Boston banned the right to drive a Segway on public ways. Segway tour groups will fight the ban.