Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Supra

n8dogginz

Hey guys just dropped by to show you what i been tinkering with for a few weeks now on and off, need some suggestions from everyone here on what color for the interior! Its going to be basecoat Testors metallic silver, with Testors burgundy purple metallic on top... this paint seems to lay real thin, ive never worked with transparent paint before....any tips for me please hit me with em! Hope ya like....

DSCN0316.jpg

DSCN0313.jpg

DSCN0317.jpg

DSCN0314.jpg

DSCN0318.jpg

hey, it's a nice kit to build. i built one about 10 years ago. i still have it, although its been taken apart.. :mellow:

as for your paint, i can only recommend you do light coats untill you get the right shade of the color. i remember painting a camaro in a similar or same color and it took a bit before it looked like the cap color was. you need to spray it evenly and try not to get any runs. best of luck.

By the way if anyone has built this kit in the past id love to see how you done it up, ive not seen too many of these fully built :lol:

Maybe you can pull some ideas from these. The engine bay and interior bucket from the street version were grafted into the curbside race version. The body modifications are very evident in the last picture.

Supra4of.jpg

Supra6of.jpg

MVC-881F.jpg

Supra7of.jpg

MVC-888F.jpg

MVC-098F.jpg

As far as the seat color question I would play off the outside colors and repeat them inside - not exact but similar, muted colors.

Going light with the paint is a very good idea on this model, you can obscure the body trim details easily with heavy paint making painting the window frames, for example, a challenge... Thick paint will also give you problems fitting the tail light clear covers onto the body, tight tolerances there...

I did this one as a quick build not too long ago... Out-Of-The-Box this kit fits quite well.

I added a few decals, and swapped the wheels, and lowered it a little. It has the Japanese trim parts on an American based version.

All Tamiya TS paints for the body...

DSC07860.jpg

DSC07859.jpg

Hey look, it's the same bay window and exterior motion flood light reflected in my Supra and the Tsunami!

DSC07861.jpg

DSC07856.jpg

DSC07857.jpg

DSC07858.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...