Model Cars Magazine Forum

Digital photography as a tool.

I have been looking at pics all day (here and at home on the computer) and have been having a re-occurring thought for months. I just decided to vocalize it today, after reviewing a lot of my builds/project 8mp pics on my 18" monitor.

Is it possible that by reviewing pics at such a large scale and resolution that we can use what we learn/see in those pics to build better and cleaner models? A magnifying glass and powerful light source used to be the best we had for picking out detail/building with. Can we, in conjunction with these stand-by tools, use the screen to find and correct flaws before the model is finished? Could it actually help us to build cleaner/more precise models? Or am I just crazy?

No you're not crazy, I already do just that. My camera picks up details that my eye cannot. I frequently take pics of questionable bits or areas to see them in greater resolution and detail. If it looks good in the picture, it'll look good to the naked eye.

David G.

You're not crazy. I almost always find body flaws after taking closeup photos. The camera's magnification works much better for me to check bodywork after the first primer. Even the photos after completion give some surprises. :)

Sounds pretty smart to me. I'm doing a 50 Ford COE and the hood is being scratched, if it wasn't for the 5 pictures taped around the bench I wouldn't be close. I also use Photo shop to cut, chop, and section things...valuable tool!!

As far as seeing flaws in the models....I find them more often in the final pictures......go figgure :):D

Digital as opposed to film allows a photographer to see what the image looks like imedieatly . With film, one has to process a negitive and then transpose into a useable print image . Each suceeding step loses a little detail . In digital , one can blow up an image generally to see any flaws before a picture goes out of focus or in this case , pixelating . Ed Shaver

Keep in mind this can be taken too far. Sometimes in pics you will pick up something that is totally not visible to the naked eye (regardless of how good your eyesight is) w/out using a magnifying glass. In this case, why fix something or try to fix something you cant technically see w/out a magnifying aid. However, I do use photos a great deal when I'm building and detailing. Whether they are reference pics or pics of a sub assembly that I'm working on.