Model Cars Magazine Forum

Decanted Paint Error

Here's something I haven't seen before. Last night I decanted a can of Testor Boyd'd Enamel Aluma Yellow. My method is to use a a short straw attached with some blue poster tack. I find this only takes a minute or two to setup. After decanting I usually set a toothpick in the paint for 30 minutes to speed up the degaussing.

Last night I didn't have time, so after about 15 minutes I put the cap back on the bottle. When I went to paint this morning the paint looked funny. Ususlly the colour is on the bottom of the jar with the clear carrier on top. This time the carrier solution was discoloured. Opened the cap to discover the foam cap liner MELTED into the paint.

Never heard of this before, and will never put the cap back on until the excess gas has bubbled out.

Now I need to go find some more paint.

Danger

Here's something I haven't seen before. Last night I decanted a can of Testor Boyd'd Enamel Aluma Yellow. My method is to use a a short straw attached with some blue poster tack. I find this only takes a minute or two to setup. After decanting I usually set a toothpick in the paint for 30 minutes to speed up the degaussing.

Last night I didn't have time, so after about 15 minutes I put the cap back on the bottle. When I went to paint this morning the paint looked funny. Ususlly the colour is on the bottom of the jar with the clear carrier on top. This time the carrier solution was discoloured. Opened the cap to discover the foam cap liner MELTED into the paint.

Never heard of this before, and will never put the cap back on until the excess gas has bubbled out.

Danger

Must have been the degaussing. B)

Danger

Yeah - the Badger paint jars with the black plastic caps come with those foam gaskets, and the solvent in the paint causes them to melt into the paint. I ended up buying a bunch of Paasche metal lids with the right kind of gaskets. What a pain.

Put a piece of masking tape over the top of the jar, then put a couple of holes in it with a pin, lets the gasses out, but keeps the paint from drying out for a few hours.

Mike

That's not going to solve his problem with melting lid gaskets...

What is the time limit needed for airing out decanted paint?

I leave mine sitting for three hours. When the moisture has dried from the outside of the bottle, it's pretty much good to go. To keep "things" from getting into the paint as it gases out, I place the lid on the jar without screwing it on. That way, I don't have to touch the jar trying to put tape on it - just touching the jar is enough to make the paint boil if it's not properly gassed out because of the heat from your fingers.

Hey Gang,

Once the paint has gassed out, you can put the lid back on, if you use low-tack tape it is easy. If you use lids with a cork gasket the gasses/solvent will not affect them, the foam-rubber ones will dissolve especially if "hot paint". I learned all this the hard way, easiest is just decant, wait until gassed out, stir a little bit as it sits, when bubbles stop gasses are gone, and shoot it rather than waiting to store the paint for longer periods of time.

John, once the paint is gassed out, most gaskets should work fine when you put the lid back on, you just need to get the propellants out of the jar first, that is why the tape with holes. Simple, easy, cheap low-tack is fine. Works great, I had bought a bunch of close-out spray cans before I bought my airbrush, so I have decanted a lot, just trial-and-error learning from my good...and bad experiences.

Mike

Edited by bigmikevee

Hey Gang,

Once the paint has gassed out, you can put the lid back on, if you use low-tack tape it is easy. If you use lids with a cork gasket the gasses/solvent will not affect them, the foam-rubber ones will dissolve especially if "hot paint". I learned all this the hard way, easiest is just decant, wait until gassed out, stir a little bit as it sits, when bubbles stop gasses are gone, and shoot it rather than waiting to store the paint for longer periods of time.

John, once the paint is gassed out, most gaskets should work fine when you put the lid back on, you just need to get the propellants out of the jar first, that is why the tape with holes. Simple, easy, cheap low-tack is fine. Works great, I had bought a bunch of close-out spray cans before I bought my airbrush, so I have decanted a lot, just trial-and-error learning from my good...and bad experiences.

Mike

The foam gaskets have always melted on me - even with MM enamel that came from a jar (as opposed to being decanted). I simply don't use them any more (nor plastic lids). I have a dozen bottles, and they all now wear metal lids with cork gaskets. When I decant, I just put the lid on top of the jar without screwing it on. That allows the gas to escape, yet keeps particulate matter from entering the jar (the next time a wasp flies into the garage and lands in my paint as I'm decanting, I'll snap a picture of it. :)