Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/4 mile Harley Davidson : 1/12 scale Drag Bike

John, are you going to be replicating a particular bike, or going in your own direction? Looking forward to the build either way!

Ken.....I think,......I would like to go in my own direction on this one........it will be the basic T/F drag bike but,......just maybe my design for a body and paint job......I have wanted to build one for a while......I have a few ideas already........actually I grew up around bikes.......so this should be a fun project.......thank`s

John, this is going to be another masterpiece and as always look forward to seeing the completed build. Just out of curiosity just how much of the original kit is left over after the build? I know it leaves a lot for the spares box and I love how you just take a few items like the engine and then build the rest from scratch, I'm trying to hone my scratch building skills instead of just kit bashing and between Dr, Crank and you I have learned a lot, keep up the awesome work as I will be eyes all over this build.

Hello......I got the frame just about done......I need to work on the rear axle and adjusters......I will work on the front end and fuel cell and dampers tomorrow......Darren,I usually have allot of parts left over but,......believe me I use them some where.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9268.jpg

DSCF9269.jpg

DSCF9270.jpg

DSCF9259.jpg

DSCF9261.jpg

DSCF9262.jpg

DSCF9263.jpg

DSCF9265.jpg

DSCF9266.jpg

DSCF9267.jpg

John... Holy Smokes this is Awesome!!!! Gonna love this build of yours. You are off to a great start. that frame is looking great and man you sure put it together quick. I have to tell you I have had an idea about doing a Pro Stock Motorcycle myself starting with a tamiya 1/12 scale crotch rocket bike and scratch building a frame. just haven't found a doner kit yet. was hoping to find a Suzuki GSX/GSXR Kit to start with but may have to end up using a Yamaha or Kawasaki or a Hayabusa.

I know this is going to be a great build and I will be following it for sure. and John hope you don't mind if I save your pics for references. oh yea what size tubing are you using for the frame? Is the rear slick a 1/16th scale slick from a Top Fuel/Funny car kit? looks to be the perfect size.

Edited by Mooneyzs

Hello.......I just about changed everything I did yesterday........1st : I changed the donar kit to the Revell 1/12 chopper kit.......the engine was a little to small from the Harley Davidson kit.......it had better detail but, I will change the Revell Evolution engine into a water cooled Shovel Head engine.........I shortened the frame about a 1/2 inch from the rear.......it looked to long......I changed the rear tire the other was to small.......I changed the front end too........now the front tire look`s a little small.....I will look for another front tire a hair bigger.......I made a fuel cell and axle frame ends.......seems like a day wasted.......thank`s for looking. :(

DSCF9283.jpg

DSCF9274.jpg

DSCF9275.jpg

DSCF9276.jpg

DSCF9273.jpg

DSCF9281.jpg

DSCF9282.jpg

DSCF9278.jpg

DSCF9280.jpg

DSCF9272.jpg

Hello......I made some dampers, a wheelie bar and worked on the handle bars.......and I started on the body...... I need to shape the rear of the body a little more........this is just a mock-up......everything is held in place with white glue ,tape and wire......so thing`s are not straight yet........I will work on the front faring and fuel cell cover tomorrow.......thank`s for looking.

DSCF9300.jpg

DSCF9285.jpg

DSCF9293.jpg

DSCF9296.jpg

DSCF9288.jpg

DSCF9290.jpg

DSCF9291.jpg

DSCF9297.jpg

DSCF9287.jpg

DSCF9289.jpg

John this build is looking great. I can't belive how fast you do some of your builds. wish I could build that fast. It sure is looking great. I have to ask you whats the best way you have found to cope your tubbing? I have been going back and forth between a round file and taking sand paper and wrapping it around the size tubing I am using. Looking forward to more progress on this John.

Great build! I like the frame, it looks very good. Very interesting build, and it's going to be awesome. That body looks also very nice, can't believe that it's built from styrene! Great job. Just on sunday, here, Finland on European Championchip Drag racing event, Jaska Salakari drove 6.390. And that was of course 1/4 mile. :) It's fastest time in Europe, but not a record, because he didn't drive a backup to it.