Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Pontiac Catalina Mild Custom Finished

Alyn

Very impressive work, love the engine detailing. I've seen some of your stuff elsewhere in the past, glad to have found you again. Really enjoy your work.

Have this one in the stash, and this is great inspiration.

Edited by Dave42

Once again, I can't thank you guys enough for the great comments.

Dave, the MCM forum is a great place to find some inspiration. Lot's of great guys doing some really cool things around here. Glad to see you found the place.

Mike; don't you have a wagon to finish? Just bringing that up to remind you that messing up a keyboard can be a two-way street :)

WOW !! What can I say that hasn't already been said ?? Are you a Neurosurgeon or what ! Those details and all of that scratch-building is too much !

At first I thought that the addition of chromed valve covers would detract from that gorgeous induction system ; however , once you added them , I can honestly say that their addition looks better than the stock , painted ones.

I absolutely MUST buy (at least) one of these kits ! The idea of a customised "O/SS" (Optional / Super Stock) Catalina is too tempting :D !

Looking forward to more W.I.P. pics and text ...

Thanks, guys. Bart, I was in the same boat as you about three years ago. I hadn't built a model in 45 years; back to my pre-teen glue bomb days.My wife had bought me an 1:8th scale Corvette to placate my sale of my full size one. I got on the internet to look for supplies and tools. I was blown away by the quality and detail in the hobby today. Nothing like what I remember back in the 60's. Glad to see you've come back around as well. Welcome to the new world. :)

Erik, I've grown to love the look of this car. I remember back in the day, that Pontiacs ruled the highways. They were know to be the best of the high speed freeway cruisers. This is an excellent kit. Everyone should give it a go.

John, I have the same shaky hands and bad eyes everyone else has. Good magnifying glasses make up for a lot of it. I thought the same thing as you about the valve covers. Since this car will be more akin to a show car, the chrome was definitely the way to go. The stock blue valve covers would still be great on the competition version and would enhance the look of a motor that is "all business"

Thank you all for following along.

:wub:

WOW!!!

Alyn, you are really knocking the socks off of this baby for sure!

I have to say again, that i really love that engine work!

TOTALLY AWESOME WORK MAN!!

Your chassis work and all of those details are really some thing to see!

Thank You for sharing this build with Us all here!

Looking forward to more!

Later

Russ

;)

I just bought one of these kits today (along with the "Class Action " Monte Carlo) ; and , to say that I'm impressed with its contents , would be a serious understatement !

My plan is to build it as a Kustomised race car (e.g. , the custom grille / headlight assembly , the chromed plain wheels and the custom interior ; but with the M&H Slicks , raised front , etc.)

The best part of my purchase of these two kits ?

Got 'em both for $17.00 out the door !!

"Red Tag" at Hobby "People" .

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just bought one of these kits today (along with the "Class Action " Monte Carlo) ; and , to say that I'm impressed with its contents , would be a serious understatement !

My plan is to build it as a Kustomised race car (e.g. , the custom grille / headlight assembly , the chromed plain wheels and the custom interior ; but with the M&H Slicks , raised front , etc.)

The best part of my purchase of these two kits ?

Got 'em both for $17.00 out the door !!

"Red Tag" at Hobby "People" .

I ran across a "bagged" 62 Catalina, complete and unbuilt for only $7.00 at the recent Omaha Model Show. If you're in the Midwest, you know this is the first show of the year and always has some great vendors.

I've been working on a couple of other projects, but do have a little progress to show. The interior is almost complete. This is one of the few late model interiors (non-hot rod) that I've done. I struggle a bit with the foil work.

I hogged out the center area of the dash and replaced it with some embossed foil. The pattern was taken from the knurled handle of one of my tools, and then applied to a strip of styrene. The gauge bezels are slices of aluminum tube that have been rounded over with a file and sand paper, and then polished.with Dupont #7 rubbing compound. Decals are from an unknown kit. This shows the color the car will be. I hope it's not too loud.

Img_4072b.jpg?psid=1

Here's the dash mounted in the interior tub. I've used the custom tufted version rather than the stock upholstery. Carpet is cranberry felt.

Img_4084b.jpg?psid=1

from the other side

Img_4088b.jpg?psid=1

About the only thing left to do on the interior is paint the steering wheel and finish the floor shifter. I decided to go the extra mile on the shifter and do one up in aluminum. The part started with some round ~1/16" rod that was bent to the appropriate shape and then filed flat. The upper part is necked down to accept a shift ball. This will be the traditional round white ball once I figure out how to make it. I drilled out the base just because that's how the real ones are.

Img_4102b.jpg?psid=1

not much of an update, as I've been focused on my 57 Chevy convertible lately. The intake is pretty much done. I also scratch built the distributor. I wired the one that came with the kit, but the red wire I picked for plug wires didn't look right, so It'll get used on something else. This distributor was build by gluing some 1/2 round rod around some larger round rod. Then holes where drilled for wires, and an aluminum tube was used for the shaft. It'll look just as good as the original once the cap is painted and the wires (clear) are glued in place.

Between the scratch built fuel injection and distributor, there's almost 100 scratch built parts on the engine already, and it's not done yet.

Anyway, I thought it looked so cool that I wanted to share. The valve covers and injector stacks are not glued down, so they may look slightly askew.

Img_3215b.jpg?psid=1

Really nice work love your how toos. Love the intake setup what linkage did you use for it and what did you use for the ends of the fuel line? keep up the good work can`t wait until you do more how toos.

Alyn, little piece of foil/styrene on the dash is just beautiful, I believe you made up for not being able to foil the interior just with the dash work. That is one beautiful interior, too bad it's not a convertible....

And you know me, too loud is not an option, louder is better in my book. But that color will be anything but loud, it should look just right!

Edited by Custom Mike