Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Pontiac Catalina Mild Custom Finished

Alyn

Here's my best shot at BMF. I'm pleased that it didn't end up in a repaint.

Img_5605b.jpg?psid=1

Img_5606b.jpg?psid=1

the rear bumper is just set in place here.

Img_5609b.jpg?psid=1

While I had my X-Acto knife out, I came up with a dome light upgrade. Due to chopping the top, the original was mostly sanded off. This one looks much better anyway.

Img_5595b.jpg?psid=1

and some sun visors

Img_5598b.jpg?psid=1

thanks for checking in.

ahhh, I knew you would knock the chrome out Alyn, looks as beautiful as the rest of the car man, I bet you are feelin pretty good about it now huh? you bout got this badboy whipped! you plan on having it done in time for Omaha? would love to see it there! congrats on the BMF , looks as good as I have ever seen!!

Thanks, Jim. I made it shiny just for you

Mike, I keep pictures of the dark side to myself. Dome light and visors should be self explanatory. The light is a slice of aluminum tube with a slice of styrene rod in the middle. The aluminum tube edge was rounded down and polished with fine sandpaper and Dupont #7 rubbing compound. The visors are just pieces of styrene mimicking the shape of the moulded in visors. I added the wire "?" for some added detail and then just glued them to the headliner.

Bill, thanks for the kind words, but you need to spend more time looking at Mr. Cruz's BMF work. His work and some of the other masters put mine (and many others) to shame. I've done a couple of cars with some very minor BMF work, but this is the first car with a significant amount of chrome. I may go back to hot rods to avoid the BMF for a while.

I should have this one done in time for the Omaha show. I don't know if I have much else to enter :(

Hello!

Pretty new here on MCM and I am just looking at this post which I am really interested in as I just got this kit. Anyway, just really wanted to thank you for sharing your work, it looks really nice man, I am blown away. Engines are my fav as well and I love what you did with this 421, really great stuff man! -dp

I sincerely thank you all for your interest and encouraging comments.

Randy, I had planned on painting this car all one color, but changed my mind on paint day and went with the silver top. Very glad I did.

Welcome aboard, Dave. It's always good to have new faces and ideas around here, but if you're hanging out with Virgil, we may have to keep our eye on you. ;)

Cranky, I was planning on asking what your acronym meant, but I got it just moments ago. Thanks.

Probably about one more update from putting this thing away and my mind is already wandering; deciding on what to concentrate on next.

Happy to hear you're liking it, Rob. Thank you and everyone else for following along, not to mention all the nice comments. I'm calling this one done. Here's a few pics. I hope to snap some better ones in the next few days to post up in the Under Glass section.

Img_5902b.jpg?psid=1

Img_5895b.jpg?psid=1

Img_5910b.jpg?psid=1

Img_5914b.jpg?psid=1

Img_5919b.jpg?psid=1

Thanks again for all your support and encouraging comments.

Todd, it's a shame you can't make the Omaha show. I'm sure you'd agree that this one always has a great turn out by the vendors. I think that's what makes that show so popular.

I'm looking forward to some progress pics from some of you guys so I can steal some ideas and techniques :)

(Randy, Bryan; wink, wink)

Bill, I'll start setting my "Best of Show" goals once you retire from the model bench and sell off the big boy machines. Between the California Charger, your current HEMI project and who knows what else is up your sleave, I think you may have a lock on that award for a while. :)

P.S., Bryan, how's that Cobra coming along? ;)

• 3 months later...