Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 VW VAN (INSANE IN THE MEMBRAIN)

mikey

WOW, haven't seen that never before! It looks like everything is possible in Santa Pod, UK... That's really cool looking VW bus, can't wait to see more of your work, because that body work is amazing, and frame construction is cool too. Great project...

SantaPod is a great track. Never been there, but if I remember correctly, there has been driven the fastest 1/4 mile pass ever, 3.58 seconds!!! That was in 1984, I think. Driver was Sammy Miller with Vanishing Point Rocket Car, which had '77 Vega body. Yes, bit offtopic, but just had to say...

awesome project Mike :lol: i traded one of those VW vans to Bill Stillwagen to build some wild thing out of like this too, is that the same kit?

This van is from HASEGAWA.I don't know what kit Bill has but i do know that he can turn anything into a piece of art.

When i first come across this vehicle i had the same idea to build it but as of yet not got round to getting a VW Van.

The really car is the back half of a Top Methanol Dragster. I am sure i have some interior shots of this vehicle when it was on display at a showing i was doing.

Look forward to seeing this finished.

WOW, haven't seen that never before! It looks like everything is possible in Santa Pod, UK... That's really cool looking VW bus, can't wait to see more of your work, because that body work is amazing, and frame construction is cool too. Great project...

SantaPod is a great track. Never been there, but if I remember correctly, there has been driven the fastest 1/4 mile pass ever, 3.58 seconds!!! That was in 1984, I think. Driver was Sammy Miller with Vanishing Point Rocket Car, which had '77 Vega body. Yes, bit offtopic, but just had to say...

Santa pod is great track and also the first track outside of america to have a 5sec pass in 1977 by Peter Crane agasint Big Daddy Don Garlitts. Possibly home to slowest race ever aswell a dumper truck with a fuel funny car in the back

I have sepnt some great times there though ive recently had the pleasure to vist/race at Tierp Arena in sweden and its going to be hard to find a better track currently in Europe

When i first come across this vehicle i had the same idea to build it but as of yet not got round to getting a VW Van.

The really car is the back half of a Top Methanol Dragster. I am sure i have some interior shots of this vehicle when it was on display at a showing i was doing.

Look forward to seeing this finished.

I would love to see what the inside looks like.Please post some pictures.

Edited by mikey

I would love to see what the inside looks like.Please post some pictures.

Mikey,

I have gone through my photos that i took at AutoSport Show 2011 and sadly the ones of the inside were no very good and would be o no use ( i was unable to take my decent camera duing to my commitments with our top fuel dragster at the show)

I did take a few other pics of the van, One showing the rear end and close up of the motor.

I can tell you that the inside of the van is of a tube construction to the shape of the vans body - A bit like a pro-mod chassis

Hope this helps.

DSCF4283.jpg

DSCF4284.jpg

DSCF4281.jpg

DSCF4282.jpg

I wont be around santa pod alot this year as i will be doing the full FIA Top Fuel Dragster tour, but if this vehicle makes an apperance at any shows/races that i may be at i will get some better phots

Edited by NitroJunky

Mikey,

Sorry i made a mistake on my above info.

The front half of the chassis is not made to the shape of the VW van body, Not sure where i got that from.

The guy who built the van is called wayne allman and if you click on his facebook link there are a few images showing the construction of the front half of the chassis.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.118550954586.99245.118549609586

Hope this helps

The last time the Bus came out it was only running licensed passes and wasn't registered to a particular class. They changed the classes in the National VW club to Sportsman & Pro and it is mainly bracket racing I believe. There is another club called the Outlaw Flat Four who Wayne does alot of work on members cars. This is more heads up with no limits so it may be more possible he would enter this. I haven't heard of it running since the first unveiling so not sure what the plans are. I think he had some transmission issues. He's very busy working on other peoples cars as he runs his own garage so maybe hasn't been able to work on it further.

This is looking great Mikey. Love the progress you have made so far. I was goin thru some pics and I found a few of this car that I can post if you'd like. Just let me know or maybe I will just post anyway. may be some pics you already have and if you don't you can add them to your reference pics :unsure: . I know I add pics all the time to mine when I can. Keep up the great work

Hi everyone , I was sent a link to this thread and all i can say is wow ! I'm flattered that people like my bus enough to take the time to build models of it ! Thank you,

I thought i'd share some info just in case it helps ,

The chassis is a one off chrome moly chassis built to sfi specs by me specifically for the split ,it's legal 6.29 seconds and quicker , it is not a modified chassis from a dragster , there are pictures of the bare chassis on facebook , just look up 'The Intergalactic Custom Shop' , there are also pics of the aluminium paneling which is diamond patterned.

The wheelbase has been stretched from roughly 94 inches to 135 inches and the roof is chopped 8" , the cab is a stretched single cab pick up and the rear bed is scratch built, The Hemi in the model is correct and the injector is pretty close too, mine has a three speed lenco transmission , top fuel cars are direct drive so the trans from that model might be a bit short ,the wheels and tyres are correct from the fuel kit as mine is on 16x16" american racing trackstar pro series at the rear with 36x17.5x16 goodyear eagle slicks , the fronts are American racing torq thrust pro series, the paint is House of kolor kandy over silver metalflake (pagan gold and purple) and fat white borders ,the lettering is varigated copper leaf and the seat is gold metalflake diamond pleated vinyl.

I will be running it in a couple of classes and will do a bit of demo stuff too .

Thanks again for the interest in the splitty .

Hope some of this info is of use ,

Cheers

Wayne

post-8369-0-60055600-1311028270_thumb.jp

post-8369-0-40034500-1311028294_thumb.jp

post-8369-0-60925900-1311028330_thumb.jp