Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Ford Phaeton *weathered*

RodBurNeR

This is one i built in an online contest. We had to try and capture what could be done back in the '60's when a kid built a model. We had to make the car look as "real" as possible without using ANY aftermarket items or anything that could not be found back in the 1950s or 1960s. I used thread to wire the engine, used wires for wires lol, some thin wire for the fuel line, my wife's eye shadow for weathering and ear wax to make it stick to the seats! I heard or read awhile back that someone used ear wax to dull their seats down for a realistic appeal and well......IT WORKS.....gross? yeah but who would know if i didn't tell ya LOL

Someone asked me why no headlights? Because we were supposed to build them like a 50's hot rod in a 1960s building manner. Back in the 1950s kids took them fenders off and headlights off to make the car lighter while racing. There is no rad support bar? Well that is exactly how one looked that i saw on the History channel so i just did what i saw. I am only 32 so i could not know exactly without being there LOL ENJOY!

P1010008-vi.jpg

P1010009-vi.jpg

P1010011-vi.jpg

P1010014-vi.jpg

P1010003-vi.jpg

Nice job...but an odd body choice for a hot rod.

Why carry around the weight of a back seat and 2 extra doors? Unless this is the only car our fictitious hot rodder had available... :wink:

thank you and by the way i was not the only one to enter this body ...... mine got first place

badger 360 air brush and trophy! :D

P1010014-vi.jpg

this is the third place car with 4drs. :wink:

P1010003-vi.jpg

Anyone questioning this kind of body should check out Don Cox and Robert Genat's book on the birth of hot rodding- there's a rod looking very similar at the front. Also check out the other books on early hot rodding- lots of phaeton bodies were used, because they were cheap and plentiful! :D

Anyone questioning this kind of body should check out Don Cox and Robert Genat's book on the birth of hot rodding- there's a rod looking very similar at the front. Also check out the other books on early hot rodding- lots of phaeton bodies were used, because they were cheap and plentiful! :)

good point! would you happen to have those books? or a scanner? lol

This is a great build..Very nicely done and a well deserve 1st place...

I grew up with many kids who couldn't get their hands on the 2 door muscle car era cars,so they built what they had.I am sure this happens in every era.As long as your having fun,who cares?

Anyway,I like this a lot!

This is a great build..Very nicely done and a well deserve 1st place...

I grew up with many kids who couldn't get their hands on the 2 door muscle car era cars,so they built what they had.I am sure this happens in every era.As long as your having fun,who cares?

Anyway,I like this a lot!

thanks a bunch! i know , i mean one of my "street machines" was a 4dr 70 impala lol

• 2 weeks later...