Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/8 Scale Offy Midget

Hi, I'm new here and have been building models for about 9 months. I'm currently building an Edmunds Off midget from scratch, in 1/8 scale. If there's any interest I would like to post some pictures of the build. I bought plans from Don Edmunds ,for this, and have done a ton of research on the Offy motor., I 'm a computer idiot and can't seem to post pictures any way but this.http://i1239.photobucket.com/albums/ff516/Ken_Meaders/101e0852.jpg

http://i1239.photobu...rs/101_0845.jpg

http://i1239.photobu...rs/101e0850.jpg

Wow! Scratch built? Excellent work! You must have put a lot of time and effort into it. I'm eager to see the finished model!

Sam

Thanks Sam, I've been working on it about a month so far. Here's a cuople of side shots and a pic of a sprinter I just finished Ken 101e0852.jpg

101_0841.jpg

101_0533.jpg

Edited by Old Sprinter

As you can probably understand by the following pics, I am REALLY interested in following your build!!!!

Top one is a scratchbuilt 1/8 late 60's Northern California Super Modified, still some things to finish, but about 90% there.

second is the beginning of a 1/8 60's sprintcar.....Lots of building and planning to go yet, but the fiberglass parts give a great place to start...

gsm3-vi.jpg

sprint01-vi.jpg

Outstanding builds, Ken!!!!!

I picked the sprint car body up at a swap meet here in nor-cal, can't find the origins, but looks like maybe tether car, or old r/c parts..

Ralph, I'm into the supermodifieds too. Where did you get that sprint body? These are my first attempts at scratch building race cars. Ken 101_0152.jpg

101_0074.jpg

Ralph; one more question. That super is very unique. Did you scratch build the wide 5 wheels? They're perfect along with the CAE hubs. Looks like it's ready for hot laps at West Capital Speedway. Ken

Thanks Ken! Just missing the wing.......the wheels are actually inserts I made to fit inside the wheels that came with the tires, the tires were 'ripcord' Flywheels, but didn't have the right centers..

If I can ever get a bit better with my machining, I'm going to cut some aluminum wheels, and make some real hubs...not quite there yet

hub01-vi.jpg

Ralph, I don't know how you could do much better, that's great work there. The more I look at that super, you built, the more I like it. You must have had some hands on experience with the real things to be able to build a correctly detailed model like that. Those supers I did was all from memory but the sprinter and midget are from actual plans. If you're ever interested in building one, I will gladly send you plans. Ken

Edited by Old Sprinter

• 4 weeks later...

Outstanding builds, Ken!!!!!

I picked the sprint car body up at a swap meet here in nor-cal, can't find the origins, but looks like maybe tether car, or old r/c parts..

The Red car looks almost like the Triguerro Brothers car out of Madera, more like an old San Jose car than a West Capital Speedway type (San Jose was a lightning quick 1/4 mile high banked asphalt track it bit the developers ax in the late 70s).

pvc for the tires and rims? i think some one needs to post some" how-to" on that. awesome craftsmanship ken! ain't 1/8 the bomb?

ralph, you know i think your stuff is the bomb! i said it before, sprint cars are like fuel altereds...............that turn left!