Model Cars Magazine Forum

60 vette

brett

How would you expect to see a 60 vette in drag form? Gasser maybe? Modified sports/Production well I kinda liked the idea of a nostalgia bodied Fuel burning nitro funny car so............................... out came the saw

july011141.jpg

july011143.jpg

some sheet stock and ruler

july011142.jpg

all glued up

july011148.jpg

july011149.jpg

tracks a little wide, measure up a wedge and cut it out then glue it back together

july011150.jpg

july011152.jpg

july011151.jpg

not too bad for 4 hours work :P there was a bit of forward planning and a brief pm to 1320 wayne (as he's made heavily modified bodies before) on which were the best cuts to make first, but once things are glued back together I just swap back to another project for a while.

OOOOO-KKKKKK!,looks like a nice project there Brett, I'll have to keep an eye on this one, can a Cobra F/C be far behind (well, yeah, it can & more then likely will be! :mellow: )

you know it :lol:

thanks guys, will do some more work tonight (NZ time)

Brett: Great looking start! I love the concept. Nostalgia Funny Cars and Gassers are big on list now. I'm going ro a Supercharged Gasser event this weekend at Dragway 42 in West Salem, Ohio. There's also a big nostalgia meet with rails, funnys and gassers in La Rue, Ohio this weekend. They usually have about 16 funnys. Would rather go to La Rue, but Dragway 42 is just down the road from the house. Keep up the great work Brett! Aaron Dupont

Thanks guys, dunno about easy :) started on one side last night after staring at it for hours trying to work out where to make the cut then cut one side and slapped some bodytech filler (1:1)on it,set 2 bits of evergreen 4.8x2 together to make the wedges and called it a night.

july011153.jpg

went out and sanded and sanded and sanded and thought bugger this and put the side back on

july011154.jpg

needed to redo rear wheel arch (to much tyre exposed)

july011155.jpg

now going back out to do the other side,at least its all ready to go straight back together :huh:

Lookin' good Brett, I think the only thing it's going to need is an updated injecter hat, that ol' bug catcher just doesn't seem right anymore.

Thanks Richard, not to worry, this is the pioneer avenger's chassis, thought I might as well use it for mock ups while its sitting there B) Probably gonna use a swoopy long 3 hole cause its curvy like the body. Got the side on, this one didnt take long at all,put a thin smear of putty on most of the joints. will try to get to sand them tomorrow.

sanded off most of last nights putty,finding a few low spots to redo.Added some 1mm round stock to redo and finish off around the coves, have puttied around them for a smoother transition and have to knock them down a fair bit anyway, found a couple of errors on the right hand side, 1st the whole side was bowing out a little so have fixed that 2nd and the one I'm not to sure how to go about is at the end of the original front guard where the extension piece was placed (x marks the spot) its a little low well almost 1mm. The guard and extension both seem to have dipped, should I just bog it up? the cove lines all seemed to line up which is part of why I never caught it before.

july011168.jpg

july011165.jpg

july011166.jpg

july011167.jpg

thanks guys,Had it in primer a couple of times now checking for high and low spots, think I got them all now. Put the rear valance on after these pics and tidied up the hood hole and have final primed (I hope)

july011173.jpg

july011171.jpg

july011170.jpg

Question time, re front end. Do you think solid panels behind the openings ( the surrounds will be made to look chrome-ish)? chop a grille to fit in the grill surround? and bumpers or not?

Brett,I would think that a grille would look right,as for the bumpers, I think the front looks fine, maybe the rear bumper, the sides look good as is to me, but overall, I agree with John, whatever looks good to you,(for the paint, how about a nice Kandy Apple Red?).

Thanks guys,I threw some paint at it, its still a bit rough but I wanted to see any imperfections and get an idea on how the colors going to look. also tried out the front end combos, think I like it best with bumpers and grille

july011174.jpg

july011175.jpg

july011176.jpg

july011177.jpg

july011178.jpg

just remember this isn't final paint just a paint mockup if you will, thinking of lacing the coves with black over the blue (though I think the blue needs to be lighter) and what is silver now, will be foiled or alcladed.

Should I chop the top a little at the front ? at the moment it will fit the stock glass but I think its a little high