Model Cars Magazine Forum

Why Do We Build Models???

In my opinion some builders build solely for the attention they can garner from entering contests or the attention they can draw upon themselves by posting (and bumping their topic back into play at every opportunity, be it a "thank you" or "update").

Me. I enjoy the problem solving aspect.

So let me get this right. Your insinuating that there are guys would have built models their whole lives, just so they can bump a thread back up to the top of a column for attention? :( Ok that's your take on it. Here's my take on it. Maybe some guys take pride in a creation that they worked hard on and would like to share it with others who can truly appreciate the time and effort put into building such a piece of art. I don't know many guys who build, who would build them just to put it away never to be looked at. I think when we enter a model in a contest or show , we enter that particular venue with the hope of yes winning , but also being able to share in a great opportunity that only comes along once in a while. Contest and shows for me are about the friendships made and renewed the lessons and tips gained, the awards are but a small part of that. The forums are a place where we as modelers can come together more often and share our creations. Yes I post and i bump my threads back into play via thank yous and updates but it's never to garner attention. I do what i do for the pure love of modeling nothing more nothing less.

Edited by Aftashox

JOHNNY SOCKO!! That's a name I haven't heard in years!! I used to watch that along with "Space Giants". Remember that? :)

Anyway, here's my story............I was always a car kid------growing up in the '60's and '70's cars were distinct enough then that you could literally tell from blocks away, what was coming up the road. I too from the age of seven, could name most cars on the road at the time.

Back in '78 when I was 17 and a senior in high school, I got one of my first jobs at a local McDonalds. Easy and nice enough for a kid, but I COULD NEVER get a Saturday off! It used to make my Dad irritated as he used to say someone was getting Saturdays off......why not me?? Anyway, I finally had a Saturday off after working there for a couple months, and wouldn't you know it, it was raining.

Feeling rather depressed that I couldn't do anything outside, I jumped in my car (I had a '69 Dodge Dart at the time) and went to the local mall to look around. I stumble across a hobby/craft shop called "Allied Hobbies" and decide to take a look through. There were all sorts of things there! One of the things that caught my eye was the rows and rows of model kits there! About 10 years earlier, I remember my Mom bought me a couple model kits for Christmas, but I wasn't interested in them for whatever reason, and wanted the Hot Wheels instead. She never bought me anymore, and I don't know what happened to the models.................IIRC, they were kits of a '40 Ford, and a '68-'69 Chevelle.

One kit that got my attention straight up in the hobby shop was Monogram's '57 Corvette which I think may have been a new kit that year or the year earlier. I was hooked on the box art as I've always loved that vintage Corvette. I used to see them from time to time even then and just loved 'em. ;)

I bought the kit and a tube of glue and I was hooked! Of course, I made a total mess of the kit, but no matter...............I would go back and try another and did a little better the next time. I guess you could say one of the reasons I build models is #1, for the enjoyment---------and #2, there's something to be said about holding a classic vehicle right in the palm of your hand. You sure can't do that with a 1:1 car! Nor if I wanted a real one, I'd certainly have no room to store them after a short time.

I also like to build cars that were once common sights on the streets of my town. Be it the finned and chromed barges of the '50's (the first cars I can remember seeing) or the rumbling muscle cars that screeched away from the stoplights.......or your average everyday grocery getters that are no longer on the roads today. They bring back memories for me..........some nice, some not so nice. ;)

i like this. a couple of good stories. heres mine. i was about 7 years old, moved to a new area and i had no friends. i had passion for cars. i would draw them as best as possible, had/have plenty of hotwheels and tried to watch just about anything car related on tv. so there was a toys-r-us near by and one day we were walking in the cars section and there it was. 5 or 6 shelves full of kits. i saw a corvette, but being raised by a single mother, she bought me a dodge stealth that was on sale along with some jars of paint and a pack of brushes. the rest is as i like to say, the never ending project. i can honestly say that this hobby along with other hobbies that i like are due to my moms support and has kept me out of trouble as a kid.

WELL! The voices in my head say YOU'RE CRAZY! :P

Really!! The voices in my head tell me that I'm crazy all the time!! ;);):P

It sounds like the voices in my head and in your head know each other too well!! :lol::P:blink::)

If he is, he's right. Not saying it's you...or anyone else in particular...but the man has a point, and he's spot-on.

Your probably correct Mark, Im just standing up for the guys who honestly love this hobby as most of us do. :)

Hey Gang,

Romell brought up a really cool topic, glad he did, and glad we are sharing our stories.

Don't remember how old I was when I started building maybe 6 or 7, my parents were adding an addition to our house, but it cost more than they thought so the extra unfinished bathroom became my model room, had a card table, a lamp and some glue. Built whatever I could get Mom to buy, liked cars the best, but thought planes and boats and monsters were cool, too. Once a month would go to the Ideal Drug Store with my Dad, he would buy some cigars and his Argosy magazine and he would buy me a copy of Hot Rod magazine. I had a binder with a bunch of plastic inserts that I got from his office, and I had the coolest collection of Hot Rod magazine pictures you've ever seen, I must have done that every month for 9 or 10 years, only color shots, I loved the drag cars and the wheelstanders the best. Started building more cars, trying spray cans, thread for plug wires, nail polished an engine for no good reason, but after several coats, it looked just liked my mom's fingernails. Red and shiny, and made no sense compared to the rest of the car. Oh well.

Don't know exactly what happened to all of my cars, had a shelf with about 20 models on it, know my little brother was good for losing a couple a year, as I got older and more into music, got farther away from the models (big sigh here....) don't remember my first one, but remember my favorite one......Revell's Custom Honda Drag Bike, built mine stock, I know I did a great job on it because I used less than one tube of glue, no details, no paint, but it was one of the coolest things I ever built, and the only one I really miss. See them online for a lot more than they are worth, a guy in Canada made a counter-offer on Ebay for $220.00, not that desperate yet.

Didn't build for years, did music instead, lots of travel, lots of precision, lots of technical skills to master, professional studio work is so much harder than you might think. I started building again a few years back, trying to master good solid basics first, think I have done well, now just trying to get my photography skills to a decent level so I can start posting. Really, really enjoy building, helps me relax, love the finished product, even if no one else sees it, I am content to put on the shelf and admire from time to time. I like the exactness of getting it right, I will probably be mostly a box-stock modeler and I am fine with that, don't want to have to obcess over every little detail, if AMT, Revell, etc. put their names on it, good enough for me, know a lot of models need a lot of extras, my challenge is make the best with what I got. (Please, please, please don't start on the be-all-you-can-be-stuff....I spent years doing that for the music, now I just want to have fun.....I'm content, okay?) just seeing all those random parts in the box come together as a finished model is just so cool for me, I am having too much fun!!!! Also, building takes me back to a time when I was a happy kid building in that unfinished bathroom, mom would come by to see if I was hungry, dad would come in and watch, and my brother would come in and sit on the floor and draw, he was very artistic, but didn't like the models, he just drew stuff. All three have gone away, so, when I build, takes me to a good place with my little family as kid, and that's alright with me.

Okay, well, while I am at bat, I'm tossing out another ball here.....if someone builds for himself but wants to share, and enjoys the attention, the feedback, the contests, the adulation, well, so be it. For me, it seems easier to express things in modeling by comparing to the music business, and I have never met a musician who didn't like a pat on the back or an "atta boy" (or girl), applause after giving it your best, comments from people regarding your performance, the list goes on and on. If you do something that you truly love, but desire to share your work with others, that is a good thing, that doesn't mean your ego has run amuck, it is just a natural process. When I look at other modelers work, of course I am admiring their talents, no matter how great or how small, and yet I am also simply comparing what they are doing or have done with my own abilities. I see some great work here, and some work that could use a little improvement, although lately it is as much about the camera as it is about the build. It takes a lot of nerve to expose your art to others, and of course you want recognition, it is the gauge you use to improve. When I hear the worst musician in the world, I am thinking, man, this is the worst musician in the world, but at least they had the stones to put it out there for all to judge. When I see a total glue bomb posted here by some youngster, at the same time I am thinking, man what a glue bomb I am also thinking, hey they have got the idea, the love, the passion, the motivation, well, the list goes on. Do something long enough and you can't help but get good at it. It's like I have said for years, I am getting better at getting better.

Why this little ramble here on Romells topic? Because I hope that some will read this and realize, hey, it is just a hobby, it is supposed to be cool and fun, and now we have this great forum so we can get out of our little rooms and share with other like-minded individuals, no matter what their talent level is. I have seen a few topics get nasty lately, and that is the only bad thing about the forums, the few folks who want to stir the pot over the right paint, the right rivet, this error, that detail, this part, that year......the list goes on. Think about what got you started building and why you still build, and if it is a good memory, make sure you don't destroy that in others.

Mike

Oh, and to answer Romell's question, I too build because I love it, from opening the box to the moment it hits the shelf.

Edited by bigmikevee

For the groupies mostly, you know those wild chicks who follow the NNL Tour....OK maybe not, Dad and Bro got me started, I've built all kinds of genres, autos, military, airplanes, space...etc. It's just flat out fun for me. I've got other hobbies and interests, but the best days seem to be the ones that include throwin paint glueing or rubbin out and groaking!

I build because I love ll things about cars. When I was younger I would "pimp" up my 1:1 cars. But now I have more sence. (a little mire sence) and less cash. I build models. I build them how I want them. Not what the box says. But what I say. I've only been building models for a few years now. Never had the space we used to live in a 1 bed flat. Now I have my own "MAN CAVE" and i love to see a model transform from plastic in a box to a car on the shelf. I think since joining this group on here I have improved my Skills.

Here's my first model built in November 09

42cc3383.jpg

066d73b5.jpg

And this one if my more recent. I owe all u guys on here a big thanks. Especially diymirage for all the help he's giving me over the last couple of years B)

Edited by cazxr2

I build for a number of reasons. I love cars, I find building for the most part to be very relaxing, for me, it is a great stress reliever. I cant afford the real cars I model, so doing it in scale is a great way to enjoy the cars I would love to own in full size. The friendships made from shows and online are just a added plus to a great hobby.

If he is, he's right. Not saying it's you...or anyone else in particular...but the man has a point, and he's spot-on.

I agree there are attention hounds in the hobby, but I don't think that is why they build, as there are much more effective ways to get attention. Driving a ferrari, being a great dancer or perhaps singing, while playing the guitar harmonica and cynbals in central park. I believe that they build models for many of the same reasons we do, but still crave the attention. Of course my dream growing up was that all of a sudden girls would lose interest in football players, and go after model builders. Didn't happen, but I think I found the one girl in a million ho feels that way.

Edited by Darin Bastedo

I have a couple of great memories from my childhood around model building.

When I was sick and stayed home from school, my dad would bring home a model for me. I remember waiting all day eagerly awaiting him to return from work with a kit. I guess his logic was it gave me something to do while I recovered. I am not sure, but I may have faked an illness on occasion just to receive a new kit.

The other memory I have was going to visit my grandparents in Nova Scotia. Every summer all of my cousins, my brother, and myself were sent to spend 2 or 3 weeks there. Usually the day after our arrival my grandfather would load us all in the car and take us to Kmart where we each would pick out a model kit. This would keep us occupied for a few days sitting around the kitchen table fighting over the glue and paint trying to build the best model.

I am new to this forum and have made a couple of posts of my current build. (69 Charger) Progress is slow due to a busy job and personal life. Why did I post my project here? To get feedback and learn. Some of the members of this forum have incredible skills and knowledge while others like myself only have basic skills. Hey, we all have to start somewhere. What is wrong with some constructive critism? Nothing in my opinion. I also play the guitar and when I get together with others I learn. Some aremore advanced than I, and others are not. Who cares?

So, why do I build models? I love the challenge of making a nice clean car, plane, ship, or whatever. I learn about the subject and its history. Most of all, I just like to build models! I love going into a hobby shop, I love buying a kit, and I cannot wait to get home and open it up and look through it.

I am glad to have found this forum where there is a large group of people sharing the same enjoyment of the hobby.

Rob

Guest Johnny

Romell, I guess the best explanation for me is, when I get a new kit and open it up as soon as I get home or sometimes in the car waiting on the wife to finish shopping. Pulling out and looking over all the parts and looking over the instruction sheet. Can't really describe the feeling other than to say "I'm a kid again!!!":)

Because I decided that sitting all day on the computer during summer break isn't a fun way to spend it. I decided after 4 weeks of doing nothing, I wanted to make a model kit. The best 3 AM decision I have made to date. This current (and my first) real kit since 7th grade is going better than I would have ever imagined

I drove real semi trailers when i was in my mid to late teenage years and saw some horried accidents on the highway. So to help me relax and forget those sights, the doctor suggested i take up a hobby of some sort . When i saw him again a couple of weeks later and told him that i've takin up building plastic model trucks , he flipped and said the hobby was not suppose to relate to anything that would make me think of my job or the horrors !

So i havnt stop building since , so thats where i am now :( .