Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16th Dukes Charger * 3/28/15* Update, **DAISY DUKE AUTOGRAPH**

Rdkingjay

Jay,

I have some of the Round 2 kits and the decals are much better then the ones in the older MPC kits.

Which of the Nason automotive clear are you using?

Most of the Nason clear seem to be urethane, but they do have a spray can of Acrylic clear. I'm sure it's either urethane or lacquer based.

I'm looking for a good clear coat that will go over automotive lacquer as well as decals.

stunning ! Hi Jay,

So glad to see someone actually building a correct replica MPC 1/16 General Lee, just by correcting the front wheel arches to the right shape transforms the car to how it should look! Its a shame that MPC didnt invest a little bit moor into the original tooling to make a correct body with wipers, gas cap, correct grill & full interior.

I had an original one here in the UK back in 1981 as a dukes of hazzaed mad kid, was obsessed by the General and still by the 69 Charger.

I have the new release to start, I'll defo be doing the front arches straight away, use the original alloys but tires will be poached from an old 1/16AMT 57 chevy which also had the gorgeous cragar wheels!, As well as buildinga General Lee, I'll also do a standard 1/16 Charger, use the Cragars with big n liitle tyres, add the extra chrome strips, may add a vinal roof, give it a weekend street/strip drag look from late 60's.

Your detaling is fantastic, looking forward to seeing the finished car :-)

I love chargers, heres my revell 1/25 RT, want to base the 1/16 version on this, wouldnt it be great if Revell released a 1/16 version of the 1/25 version!, the detail would be fantastic!

Cheers Damian

blue69charger3.jpg

mopars1.jpg

Nice.

• 2 weeks later...

Firebirddesigns.net has some very nice 68-69 Charger tail stripe decals (A Daytona set too)in 1/16th (do a search in 1/16th models and kits on E-Bay).

I have bought several sets.

The sets have extra stuff like the Hemi scritps, the Charger scripts, gauge decals, etc.

Very good quality, inexpensive..

Well, I've long wondered if the front wheels would clear with some proper fenders built up on this model, and it looks like you've answered the question.

Very nice, btw!

*EDIT*

Was there a Charger logo on one of the grille panels? And would foil copies of that reinforced with zapped CA from behind perhaps suit your purposes?

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis

Brandon,

They are reffered to as Crimp Tubes. You can find them in any arts and crafts store, like Michaels, Joann Fabircs, A.C. Moore or the like. They are commonly used in the making of beaded jewelery bracelets, earrings etc. They come in a variety of sizes and are dispayed with all the other supplies for making beaded jewelery. When you find them, take your time and look around, you'll find a lot of other goodies there that can be used for detailing a model car. In fact all the hard lines on this car, also came from the same aisle.

You can also get crimp tubes from Walmart ( if you have one nearby) , but they dont have a big selection.

Yeah, you know I've been back and fourth with clear over bmf or not. Pros and cons too both because I've done both, but in the end, clearing over the bmf protects it and pretty much makes it maintenance free. Wet sanding and three stage polishing to start in a day or two.

Well, the polishing has started. I use a three step process that I basicaly learned in the body shops years ago. Wet sanding, followed by a no. 1 rubbing compound from 3m, followed by a finishing compound, also from 3m and then a final glaze. Its times like these when I wish I had a little garden knome with a minature buffer. Its labor intensive, but worth it in the end. Here's the completed hood. I still want to add a hood latch mechanism and paint the sound proofing underneath.

106-vi.jpg

Beautiful finish! I am quite jealous.

Say, I bet you $20 you couldn't make my Daytona project shine like that.

I dare ya to prove me wrong, I'll box it up tonight, and..... :)))))))))))))))))))))))))

Beautiful work.

I don't suppose you'd list the exact names of the products you are using would you?

My Daytona does have a couple of spots that need more work.

Bone, I'm away on a working trip this week then vaca middle of next. If I get time in between I'll happily tell you all the products I use and how.

Ins nutshell:

Wet sand with 1500 grit.

Polish with 3m rubbing compound and foam applicator.

Polish with 3m finishing compound/swirl remover and cotton cloth.

Final glaze with cotton cloth.

• 3 months later...