Model Cars Magazine Forum

1966 Shelby GT350H

mrmike

I got this kit at the Classic Plastic Model Club Christmas Party for building in the Box Stock Club Challenge for our upcoming show in September. The only thing I can change are the wheels and tires. Since I have built quite a few of these Mustang kits over the years, building one box stock will be a challenge for me since I can't leave it well enough alone. No plug wires, no heater hoses, no modified suspension, just what's in the box...this should be fun!

The kit is Revell's Shelby GT350H.

Shelby01.jpg

The paint will be Model Master Wimbeldon White with gold stripes. The main stripes will be painted while the side rocker panel stripes will be the kit decals.

Shelby02.jpg

Shelby03.jpg

More to come...

I started on body assembly after removing a couple of mold lines from the tops of the rear fenders by the C pillar.

Shelby04.jpg

I glued on the rear and front valances.

Shelby05.jpg

The front valance appears to be a little too wide, so I flush mounted the passenger side and will sand the drivers side until it's flush.

Shelby06.jpg

More to come...

• 2 weeks later...

It has been a while since I have worked on the Shelby, so I got started this morning by removing chrome parts for a dip in the purple pond. This was only after 10 minutes of bathing which tells me that the chrome is not very thick.

Shelby07.jpg

I started assembling the basic engine.

Shelby08.jpg

As I removed the hood from the parts sprue, I noticed a visable mold line or defect in the mold for the hood scoop. The scoop should be rounded at the top of the scoop and this has a crease around the top of the scoop. I guess bodywork is not complete yet.

Shelby09.jpg

More to come...

Well, after much research, I have concluded that the ridges on the hood scoop are actually there, so I am forging ahead with my build. This morning I got the chassis into a coat of primer.

Shelby10.jpg

And, I made sure I got the bottom of the interior tub.

Shelby11.jpg

The body and hood got a coat of Krylon primer and is ready for some paint.

Shelby12.jpg

More to come...

As I removed the hood from the parts sprue, I noticed a visable mold line or defect in the mold for the hood scoop. The scoop should be rounded at the top of the scoop and this has a crease around the top of the scoop. I guess bodywork is not complete yet.

That's no defect but how the actual Shelby scoop looks. Looking forward to more updates.

Although it may be hard to tell from the pictures, this is four light coats of Model Master Wimbelton White Lacquer.

Shelby13.jpg

Shelby14.jpg

And, the engine got a coat of Model Master Ford Engine Blue.

Shelby15.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

• 2 weeks later...

This afternoon I was able to get out of work an half hour early and saw a Shelby GT350 on the way home. That inspired me to spend a little time on my Shelby when I got home. I was able to finish up the engine and the chassis early this evening.

Shelby16.jpg

Shelby17.jpg

Shelby18.jpg

More to come...

Edited by mrmike

Hi Michael,

what kind of "Purple Pond is this, to remove chrome? Is it working for paint too?

The "Purple Pond" is a nick-name given to Purple Power or Super Clean Industrial Strength Cleaner-Degreaser. It'll remove chrome plating from plastic parts and removes many types of paint. The longer you leave the part in the "Purple Pond", the move paint it'll remove.

Jeff, the engine paint is Model Master Ford Engine Blue lacquer #28010 thinned with lacquer thinner and sprayed through my airbrush. I have had very good luck with this paint.

Jeff, building a model box stock is a great change of pace and it frees one from all the stress of adding or removing details and modifications to a build. It challenges me to build a whole lot cleaner than I usually do.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been away from this build for a while due to life getting in the way of my hobby. I spent the evening foiling the Shelby and I must say that it is looking pretty good to me. Now I can clearcoat it and prep for decals.

Shelby19.jpg

Shelby20.jpg

Shelby21.jpg

More to come...

Well, the Classic Plastic Model Club show is tomorrow and the Shelby is no where near done. Work has been a real bear this week working 10 to 12 plus hours a day and no time at home to work on the model. Maybe I have something on the shelf that can qualify for the Club Challenge provided I still have the instructions. Now, where did I leave those...

I had placed this build on the back burner until I had primered my '07 Shelby GT500 this afternoon and decided to pull it back out to work on the decals while the primer was drying. This is what I started with.

Shelby22.jpg

Part of the issue with the hood stripes is the way the decal is cut for the scoop opening. I made sure to cut the opening when I removed the decal from the main sheet.

Shelby23.jpg

This took me almost 25 minutes of working the decal into place with water and setting solution.

Shelby24.jpg

More to come...