Model Cars Magazine Forum

need advice on some items

Ok, I am about to buy some items from Micro-Mark and I need some advice from you more experienced builders first. I have my eye on the rust and dust 4 stage system mainly meant for trains, but was wondering if it would work for model cars. I was also looking at the age it easy for wood (for dioramas), it is a liquid brush on I think. And I was also looking at the soldering iron/knife for cutting plastic, but is what I really need to know is, does it work. Thank you in advance for any advice.

post-6347-0-44694600-1311200070_thumb.jp

post-6347-0-28553200-1311200086_thumb.jp

post-6347-0-77945900-1311200098_thumb.jp

I'm sure the plastic cutter works, but you can save yourself a few bucks by using a razor saw to make your cuts, and if you need to cut curves, scribing with the back side of your X-acto blade will do the job.

As far as the weathering products... they would work on a model car just the same as they would work on a model train! After all, the product doesn't know what it's being applied to! If it works on a model train, it'll work on a model car.

The "Age it Easy" stuff is a fine product, I'm sure... but I bet you could get the same effect for a lot less $$$ by simply using a black wash (thinned flat black paint).

Thanks Harry, but is what I meant about the rust and dust is, since it is used for a smaller scale will it cover more than one car. I was just wondering if anyone has used it before on model cars. After I read my post I could see where you would get confused. LOL

scan some of the posts here in the tips and tricks area for some hints on weathering and what some folks use. If you have any of the back issues, there have been some great articles on how to get realistic looking results with some products found in a craft store, usually for less money than Micro Mark.

Save your money on the plastic cutter. As Harry mentioned, a razor saw works much better and gives cleaner results. I had one a long time ago and it was better at melting plastic instead of cutting it! :lol: