Model Cars Magazine Forum

wheres tips and tricks!?>! I need one one lol

OK so i know everythings moving from one sight to another, i just read that in general...might be why i uploaded progress on my supra like 3 days ago and it didnt show up an hour later...but what happened to tips and tricks!??! i have a question on whats the best way to do black window trim, like rubber... i know lots of people use masking tape but i always pull it off and it leaves jagged edges on the part. I know window trim has to come out flawless, i bought a paint marker but the paint flows so fast it'd drip right off the bat...check it out....

DSCN0346.jpg

DSCN0347.jpg

im on a roll with this one guys id really hate to screw it up on the minor stuff, call me a noob, im not but to details i am, havent built in years and im 26 so yea lol im a noob at detail...please throw me some pointers

Edited by n8dogginz

BTW i shot that paint earlier tonight think of this as "on the bench" lol its not sittin on the chassis as done, sorry btw i cant figure out the macro mode of my camera, nikon coolshots camera anyone have it throw me some pointers on how to take close ups

\DSCN0345-1.jpg

Looking good!

I often use a black marker.

If you choose that route be sure to get the "industrial" version or whatever they call it.

It has a large tip but it won't run and won't leave that nasty bluish or purple tint that the regular black markers do.

Looking good!

I often use a black marker.

If you choose that route be sure to get the "industrial" version or whatever they call it.

It has a large tip but it won't run and won't leave that nasty bluish or purple tint that the regular black markers do.

I do the same ... a Sharpie to be specific. They come in a number of tip sizes and shapes and the tip can also be cut easily if you need a different one.

i like to use all three elements, brush, aerosol and airbrush. with brush ill use a fine tip, 00 brush. airbrush is the best. better control of how much paint you lay down. if you use aerosol, try to spray light coats. if you spray a heavy coat, the paint will dry to the tape and come off or give you jagged edges. all using semi gloss black.

i dont like the markers cause they can be too shiney to get a rubber look.

yea i bought a testors paint marker to pull this off, but the paint flows way too fast for my likings. I then thought about the after effects a sharpie gives off, and it may actually look more like rubber with a sharpie...ill probably go that route, my paint is looking really good and id hate to mess it up from lack of patience from a brush and tape. BTW what happened to tips and tricks section?!?!?