Model Cars Magazine Forum

85 Corvette Convertible

Hawk312

Very sharp Corvette David! One would never know you had any fitment issues with it. Excellent work as usual! BTW, is this the Monogram kit or..?

Wow. Really surprised to see so many comments on this one! Thanks everyone!

Here is the exact kit I used:

87c2742m.jpg

Most of the fitment issues were with the body, especially the hood which seemed like it just did not want to line up with the rest of the body. It took alot of sanding and bending to get it close. I didn`t even bother to install the headlights bracket and all that under the hood, as it interfered with the engine and lifted the hood off the car a good scale 4 inches or so. The rest of the body took alot af sanding, filling, and scribing. The rear suspension was just a mess. With all the problems worked out, it seems to be a pretty accurate and detailed kit though. I was actually surprised at the amount of detail on this kit (even though I built versions of this kit about 20 times in the `80s and early 90`s), with the exception of the decal sheet, which only contained two decals neither of which was a real license plate.

And.....I stand corrected on the year. :lol: I had this sitting right next to my `85 coupe kit, and assumed it was the same year cause they looked the same. I think it is an `87. Good eye to those that caught it. :)

Secondly, all of the Monogram '84-9 Corvettes have absolutely diabolical hood fit issues which I unfortunately know firsthand. I hate to tell you, but I have a stalled '85 Vette project that probably has 3 hours of hood-bending in it, which means you'll go through this again with that kit. I gave up when the "hood gap lilly pad" left me fixing and causing the same gaps over and over again. You did a great job with yours.

Uggh. ;) And I have like 10 more `8x-`9x kits left to build.

Really great build. Paintjob looks very good, and every details on the model are looking cool. It's clean build, with no big mistakes. Interior looks good too, how about the engine pictures? Nice model.

Very nice looking build!i totally agree with the hood problem,years ago i tried building the 92'vette convertible and gave up,the dash interferes with the windshield laying back properly and other issues made me throw it back in the box.I like the two tone paint job don't remember seeing to many painted that way,since you felt like building something weird for your next project how about kitbashing the 84'vette snap tite kit with the 85'vette kit and build the corvette Dirk Benedicts character drove in the 80's t.v show the A-TEAM?,the striping scheme is beyond my talents.

This is a really nice build. It totally captures the look of the day, in the typical bland colors of the day. Not to suggest this is a bland built...its a fantastic build. Probably the best build of this kit I've ever seen.

I have no opened one of thee since the 80s, and I never got one right back then due to fit issues you mention.

Great job, looks like you took care of the hood issue very well.

For what it's worth, they must have addressed that issue when they produced the ZR-1 reworking of that tooling, those hoods fit well...

Great job, looks like you took care of the hood issue very well.

For what it's worth, they must have addressed that issue when they produced the ZR-1 reworking of that tooling, those hoods fit well...

I don't know what they changed, but the '91-up cars don't seem to suffer the same wonky hood fit. I'm not a 1:1 Vette expert but I didn't think the hood actually changed on those cars. They may have just tooled a new mold for the entire body since everything beyond the hood/roof/glass was different on the real car after the restyle.

The hood per se doesn't appear to have changed for the '92-'96 models. The model looks the same as my '93 hood, at least from the outside. The only obvious external differences were to incorporate the side markers in a wraparaound lighting design with parking lights, turn signals and fog lights. The side louvers changed to have horizontal strakes (further modified for '96), and the taillight section changed to a convex shape, with the lights modified from completely round to a more square shape with rounded corners. So, it's really just a few panels that were modified and retained the basic body shape. Wheels became more directional looking, not interchangeable from side to side. On the coupe, the brake light mounted on top of the hatch was kept only for the ZR1 and moved to the tail section for the standard version.

Edited by sjordan2

Quite right, the 1990 ZR1 had a wider rear section, but the changes to the base car body were minor and, as Edmiunds noted, "Restyling came to the Corvette for 1991 with a slicker front end incorporating wraparound foglights, a new rear fascia reminiscent of the ZR-1's that incorporated the third brake light (the latter would remain on the hatch of the ZR-1) and new wheels. Everything else was pretty much a carryover, though the price of the ZR-1 had now ballooned to $64,138 — the first GM automobile to carry a price beyond $60,000."

That is an extremely nice build on what I remember being a very tough kit to work with. I've always loved Corvettes, and own one now. I just finished reading a good book on Corvettes, and just started reading another. You did great on that paint job, too.