Model Cars Magazine Forum

vintage kits & brake fluid

I've got a vintage AMT 62 valiant that needs the paint and some old amt body filler putty. Will brake fluid melt the vintage kits plastic? I will be using DOT3 brake fluid. I've stripped newer kits this way and some from the 80's & 90's with luck, but just wanted to see if anybody has had any problems with the vintage kits.

Thanks

i striped a 62 buick and i think the bottom layer was from 62 ha ha!it took a few days and a lot of scrubin with tooth brush but it finly came off - the plastic is stained from paint ?but the brake fluid worked just the same as allways - no harm to plastic.

well after 24 to 36 hours in the brake fluid bath she came out super nice and clean with no harm to plastic.

I wish I would have got before pics. this thing had three coats of paint. black then gold then candy apple red. plus it had the styline custom front and rear bumpers. I got luck and both came off with no damage to body.

Thanks again a/gass

DSC01375.jpg

no problem.i use to use easy off but had problems with it -if it dryes your jacked - so ive been useing brake fluid ever since.easy off in yellow can is great for striping chrom - put parts in zip-lok spray enouff in that their submerged in liqued squezz out air and seal let sit over night - ta-da no more chrom even in liqued.never used purple stuff yet but from what ive read its just as good tad pricey.