Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's next from Round 2?

the D8H was a good kit, the D8 and lowboy combo would make a good reissue.

Michael, what I'd like to see is modern trucks. How about doing the iconic W900L in full dress? How about a new Caterpillar D8T with an XL cheater gooseneck lowboy? A T800 dual steer dump truck? A Mack Titan cement mixer? An International Prostar daycab with 2 hole disc wheels. A Wabash 53' box trailer,a Manac flatbed. A Freightliner Argosy for the cabover fans... You know, one of each make. All we have now is the Volvo VN series and the International Lonestar. Not much else. There is something I understand though, licenses from the manufacturers are expensive, so the new subjects are few and far between. But then again, Round 2 and others spew out new cars every year... Or another way to go would be to produce models we didn't get years ago, a good example is like your avatar, the GMC Crackerbox, the GMC 9500 conventionals, the Peterbilt 351, the International Emeryville, Mack B series, big ol'fords, the old classics. Whatever. Maybe I should make a poll for new truck subjects. :angry:

man, theres some great kits in that list. we can only hope round 2 looks at it.what about the international payhauler dump truck?

Michael, they did that just not too long ago, maybe within the past two years or so. Look under the cat! :mellow:

HPIM1919.jpg

Michael, what I'd like to see is modern trucks. How about doing the iconic W900L in full dress? How about a new Caterpillar D8T with an XL cheater gooseneck lowboy? A T800 dual steer dump truck? A Mack Titan cement mixer? An International Prostar daycab with 2 hole disc wheels. A Wabash 53' box trailer,a Manac flatbed. A Freightliner Argosy for the cabover fans... You know, one of each make. All we have now is the Volvo VN series and the International Lonestar. Not much else. There is something I understand though, licenses from the manufacturers are expensive, so the new subjects are few and far between. But then again, Round 2 and others spew out new cars every year... Or another way to go would be to produce models we didn't get years ago, a good example is like your avatar, the GMC Crackerbox, the GMC 9500 conventionals, the Peterbilt 351, the International Emeryville, Mack B series, big ol'fords, the old classics. Whatever. Maybe I should make a poll for new truck subjects. :mellow:

I'd love to see a modern dozer, CAT, JD, big, small, don't care I'd take any of them.

While plastic would be nice, you can get most of the old trucks you listed in resin from American Industrial Truck Models.

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/

While plastic would be nice, you can get most of the old trucks you listed in resin from American Industrial Truck Models.

http://www.aitruckmodels.com/

I am a little off topic here but I realise that Aaron. But the thing is, I for one, am not very confortable with a new media (for me...) such as resin. I'm not quite into scratch building either just yet. Anyways, when I get a high volume kit such as an Italeri, round 2 or now Moebius, I expect the usual sanding and slight straightening, I'm ok with it and familiar with that. But I'm not sure what to expect from a resin kit. Don't get me wrong, a lot of you guys make truly outstanding models out of these. I'm picking it slowly but there is a lot of skills to learn and practice to make a good quality model. So by having these kits ready (with a reasonable price...) it makes it easier and a less daunting task for me. Another point is the price of the resin parts. To make a whole truck could get pretty expensive and I want to be sure I'll be successful at building it. I don't know yet, I haven't tried resin. So I can't tell for sure if I will like it or not. But I'll try it for sure by starting with accessories like engines, wheels and toolboxes. But for now, I'd like something complete to start with and then go on with the customizing.

Is it so difficult for the manufacturers to get new kits out? I'll tell you this much, if the big plastic manufacturers are not reading these lines, or any other similar to this, I think they are missing out on opportunities. How did AMT, MPC and Ertl make it work in the 70's and 80's? There must be a smarter way to do this again!

This is just my 2 cents. Some more people might have a new go at it, or even some younger people might like a change from their joystick and get interested to this hobby, like some of us did.

Edited by Z06Bob

I'd love to see a lot of older trucks in plastic, I was just pointing out AITM since unfortunately I think resin is the only way will see most of the older trucks you listed. :lol:

I don't know how much help the model companies get from the trucking industry these days, but supposedly IH was very involved back when Ertl did many of those trucks. There also doesn't seem to be the same kind of interest in truckers these days, back when Ertl was doing those kits there was a fair amount of ttrucker themed TV shows and movies, Cannonball, BJ & the bear, Convoy, Smokey & the Bandit etc. I can't really think of any recent movies like those.

The lonestar looks great, I hope it ignites more interest in new kits from the model makers.

If you ever want to give resin a try, I'd suggest the Mack N (assuming the subject appeals to you), it should be a pretty straight forward swap onto the Ford C chassis, and by resin standards is pretty cheap making it a good introduction.

http://www.aitruckmo...macknmodel.html

Edited by Aaronw

I am a little off topic here but I realise that Aaron. But the thing is, I for one, am not very confortable with a new media (for me...) such as resin. I'm not quite into scratch building either just yet. Anyways, when I get a high volume kit such as an Italeri, round 2 or now Moebius, I expect the usual sanding and slight straightening, I'm ok with it and familiar with that. But I'm not sure what to expect from a resin kit. Don't get me wrong, a lot of you guys make truly outstanding models out of these. I'm picking it slowly but there is a lot of skills to learn and practice to make a good quality model. So by having these kits ready (with a reasonable price...) it makes it easier and a less daunting task for me. Another point is the price of the resin parts. To make a whole truck could get pretty expensive and I want to be sure I'll be successful at building it. I don't know yet, I haven't tried resin. So I can't tell for sure if I will like it or not. But I'll try it for sure by starting with accessories like engines, wheels and toolboxes. But for now, I'd like something complete to start with and then go on with the customizing.

Is it so difficult for the manufacturers to get new kits out? I'll tell you this much, if the big plastic manufacturers are not reading these lines, or any other similar to this, I think they are missing out on opportunities. How did AMT, MPC and Ertl make it work in the 70's and 80's? There must be a smarter way to do this again!

This is just my 2 cents. Some more people might have a new go at it, or even some younger people might like a change from their joystick and get interested to this hobby, like some of us did.

Hey Bob, I agree with most of what you are saying, but kids today are not as interested in these hobbies as a generation ago. Blame the internet, facebook, I-Pods, whatever, nothing is gonna change that, unfortunately. With that said I know that there is a viable market for at least 1 or 2 more NEW trucks. A W900L loaded with studio sleeper, Pete 389, Mack Titan, should sell like hotcakes. Like you, I have never built a complete truck from resin kits, I love to add axles, accessories, stretch a frame........but I want a styrene model to start with. Bring on a NEW truck, someone, it would sell................................

Mark

Hey Bob, I agree with most of what you are saying, but kids today are not as interested in these hobbies as a generation ago. Blame the internet, facebook, I-Pods, whatever, nothing is gonna change that, unfortunately. With that said I know that there is a viable market for at least 1 or 2 more NEW trucks. A W900L loaded with studio sleeper, Pete 389, Mack Titan, should sell like hotcakes. Like you, I have never built a complete truck from resin kits, I love to add axles, accessories, stretch a frame........but I want a styrene model to start with. Bring on a NEW truck, someone, it would sell................................

Mark

I have to agree with you Mark, this generation is more interested in computer stuff than plastic stuff. In all I think there is still hope for new kits. We don't need many, just the "right ones" with different applications such as highway trucks, and at least one popular heavy duty construction truck like the International Workstar, Mack Titan or Late model Kenworth T800 (new full windshield cab) with dual front axle and floatation tires along with a dumper or mixer body. Then there will be a lot of mix and match after that! The aftermarket could have a field day with those and take care of the rest. I'm drooling... :wub:

I'd love to see a lot of older trucks in plastic, I was just pointing out AITM since unfortunately I think resin is the only way will see most of the older trucks you listed. :wub:

I don't know how much help the model companies get from the trucking industry these days, but supposedly IH was very involved back when Ertl did many of those trucks. There also doesn't seem to be the same kind of interest in truckers these days, back when Ertl was doing those kits there was a fair amount of ttrucker themed TV shows and movies, Cannonball, BJ & the bear, Convoy, Smokey & the Bandit etc. I can't really think of any recent movies like those.

The lonestar looks great, I hope it ignites more interest in new kits from the model makers.

If you ever want to give resin a try, I'd suggest the Mack N (assuming the subject appeals to you), it should be a pretty straight forward swap onto the Ford C chassis, and by resin standards is pretty cheap making it a good introduction.

http://www.aitruckmo...macknmodel.html

You are both right! You are right for the old truck based TV programs, but I also think the format changed with more "life" based tv stuff like Ice truckers and American trucker. Even so, this is more exciting for us "adults" than youngsters! :rolleyes: The kids aren't into TV as much as we are. Youtube is better at reaching the young. But then again, there is a lot of truck based stuff in there as well. Anyway, I also see all kinds of smaller scale diecast trucks (of which I collect as well). Yes they cater to truck companies as little perks for new truckers. They are well adapted to their market. But they developped it and are still doing it. I am hoping Moebius will prove really successful with the Lonestar and develop more similar products such as the Prostar.... Wink, wink! I think we can "almost" expect a nice trailer complement to the Lonestar. Until then, I think we have to talk about this as much as we can. Good luck to us! :P

Edited by Z06Bob

i would kill for a prostar with a 53 foot reefer.i can only wish.

Maybe we might get lucky and get those from Moebius. I don't think they would have to make too many new molds to modify the Lonestar into a Prostar.

eric at ppvintagekits.com also has some older resin trucks like the pete 352 and 362, he also has a daycab 4070A , W900L and alot of other classic cabs, hoods, parts, engines etc etc. his resin is definately top notch!! :o:D;)

I agree 110%! I bought this Freightliner Classic XL hood conversion from Eric, and it requires very little, if any cleanup, and looks as good as a plastic molded piece.

HPIM2209.jpg

I also bought these fenders and frame mounted toolboxes from Eric for my Ford LTL 9000 Custom I'm building (the air cleaners are for another project) and they are also great pieces.

HPIM2111.jpg

And here are the fenders painted and mounted on the truck.

HPIM3010.jpg

They are very affordable and would be a great starting point to start working with new media Bob.